Scraped my first peg yesterday

JStump

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trackday, trackday, trackday!! That's where EVERYONE should learn cornering, braking, body position, and track position techniques. The guy I bought my 14 from is/was a CCS or WERA rider and while his trackbike was wadded up at home, he raced the 14 a couple times just trying to keep his points up ( thinking he was prostock or superstock class?? I don't know for sure )......when he showed me decals he'd placed on the lower fairing, he said he put them on to cover up some scratches from scraping the fairings at the track!! I couldn't believe my ears, until he explained that he rubbed the coping in an off-camber turn so it all made sense then.......gotta be aware of not only how your bike is positioned in the corners, but the topography of the surface you're riding on can still jump up and grab you when you least expect it.

@Hellmutt, I saw a guy scrape the lower fairing on his 929, or some other bigger Honda.

The curbing certainly makes that easier, but when it's done one level ground, it's usually a result of ultra-soft suspension. The suspension loads pretty heavily in the turns. Moreso if your body position isn't ideal. That could lower the bike well over an inch right at the apex.

The guy I bought my 14 from is/was a CCS or WERA rider and while his trackbike was wadded up at home, he raced the 14 a couple times just trying to keep his points up ( thinking he was prostock or superstock class?? I don't know for sure ).......

I would love to hear more about this.

Thread jacking is a sport and highly encouraged. I have had a Busa on a couple different tracks but just doing a track day. I have never seen a 14 or Busa being raced and if he was trying to keep his points up borrowing a 600 would have given him a better chance. There is no way that a 14 would place on a road racing circuit unless there were enough DNFs to allow it. I know for certain that I would be able to beat my time around a course riding a Busa with a 600 and can't think of too many instances where that wouldn't be true for anyone.

I would like to hear about a 14 racing and how it actually turned out because how I think it would go might not be how it actually happened.

I wonder what he was racing that broke. I don't know my CCS classes, and I am not well versed in the "unlimited" classes with either org, but a ZX14 would be unique to say the least.

Class eligibility aside, he could probably have managed a "participation" finish in a few races. Hell, I got 4th in my first B Superstock race. There were only 6 of us gridded, so everyone finished in the points.

Thread jacking is a sport and highly encouraged. I have had a Busa on a couple different tracks but just doing a track day. I have never seen a 14 or Busa being raced and if he was trying to keep his points up borrowing a 600 would have given him a better chance. There is no way that a 14 would place on a road racing circuit unless there were enough DNFs to allow it. I know for certain that I would be able to beat my time around a course riding a Busa with a 600 and can't think of too many instances where that wouldn't be true for anyone.

I would like to hear about a 14 racing and how it actually turned out because how I think it would go might not be how it actually happened.

Not too sure why or how or what class exactly - only met the guy a few times during the process of buying the bike - What I do know is that he's an engineer at Brocks Performance, and he's been racing for years at all the local tracks Putnam, Nelson, MO, etc. His handle on BikeLand.org was BullyDogProstock in case anyone has a connection with him there - he seemed like a straight up guy though, and he sent me pics of him on 2 different track bikes and one shot of him on the 14, they're in my album pics.

I wonder what he was racing that broke. I don't know my CCS classes, and I am not well versed in the "unlimited" classes with either org, but a ZX14 would be unique to say the least.

Class eligibility aside, he could probably have managed a "participation" finish in a few races. Hell, I got 4th in my first B Superstock race. There were only 6 of us gridded, so everyone finished in the points.

Maybe he was just conserving some points and getting credit for race completion? Wish I knew because they (Brocks) were looking into race systems for 600-1k bikes. Apparently Hooters/Brocks sponsored Tim Hunt won the Championship, but dont know the class -

Now start pushing the envelope. I take those clover leaf interchanges at 70 or so. Just keep it inside the turn and see how fast you can go before you start sliding outside, remember, those pegs will fold up.
track day time..i wanna do one really bad! Edited by undr_psi

Bet it's a good feeling coming in last but still earning points :D

Think he had a GSXR6? 750? ( #14 red bike pic in my album at MO '08 ) that he lowsided......the bike flipped off the track and he broke his arm.......so while in a cast over the late fall and winter, he bought the '08 ZX14 from Vista Kaw in Dayton. He broke the bike in the following spring and installed Brock's Street Meg system and PC3 - raced it only a couple times that I'm aware of while he was rebuilding his trackbike, but after selling me his 14, he ended up with a newer 636 ( it's the #92 army green/black bike pic in my album at MO '09 ) -- I do remember him saying that he didn't place or anything when he was racing the 14.

Does anyone know where to get race plastics for a 14, the race legal kind that will hold the appropriate amount of fluids?

:lol: Wait.......appropriate fluid?? :shrug: No need for race plastics......tape up the lamps, pull the mirrors, safety wire the required goods, drop-n-swap with track approved coolant and it's race ready!

Applied propper technique and form on the way to and from work, noticed a huge difference in lean angle. Thanks for the tips, I gotta do a track day soon.

Good deal, the more you do it the more it will become habitual 2nd nature!

If I am reading this right, it sounds like you are 'crossed up.'

If you draw a line through the center of the bike, your head, shoulders, & hips should all be leaning inside of that line while cornering. It sounds like you are leaning outside of that line, which is a mistake that many poeple make.

It should look something like this:

l_5323c29136ab2166857f25f835c70213.jpg

It sounds like I've been riding "crossed up" then! I'm working on it, but it doesn't feel quite right to me yet! Then again, I'm on a 250, and not riding at speeds on the street that it makes a huge difference.

From what I've been noticing, it seems that the weight transfer to the outside peg makes most of of difference. Amirite?

What I did... it's something I've seen people talk about a lot, and it really helped me to make the transition from cruiser /standard type riding to sport riding...

find a curvy road, and ride it at a relaxed pace, but concentrate on initiating every turn with your upper body, more so than steering input. Keep upping your speed as you feel comfortable with it. Once you get fast enough, the natural progression will be to lean way off the bike while pushing it upright.

:lol: Wait.......appropriate fluid?? :shrug: No need for race plastics......tape up the lamps, pull the mirrors, safety wire the required goods, drop-n-swap with track approved coolant and it's race ready!

That's far from race ready, that's trackday ready big difference

find a curvy road, and ride it at a relaxed pace, but concentrate on initiating every turn with your upper body, more so than steering input.

I agree with the spirit of what you're saying, but this advice contradicts physics.

it is virtually impossible to initiate a turn on a motorcycle without steering input.

THINKING about using your upper body is definitely helpful, but you simply cannot generate enough lateral force to disturb the bikes gyroscopic balance without steering input.

I believe Keith Code proved this point by welding the bars perfectly straight on a bike as an example. It cannot be turned, because there's no way to (significantly) disrupt its desire to stay upright, and move in a straight line. You can hang off all you want, but initiating lean angle is caused by the wheels moving out from under the bike; not by the rider 'pushing' the top of the bike to one side or the other.

throwing your weight to one side will momentarily cause the bike to move that direction, but it will straighten right back out on its own unless there is steering input to cause more lean.

That's far from race ready, that's trackday ready big difference

Shows what I know, but I'm just relaying what I was told - Wish I'd stayed in touch with him so he could give you all the answers, I dont have a copy of the rule book nor know enough about it all - I watch the shit on TV, have personally never "raced" - what else would he have had to do to prep this bike for race readiness?