SH running GREAT!

Beegreenstrings

A cool 54 says the weatherman, thermo says it is 49-50 on the river today in the Blue ROck area. Fired the Superhawk up this morning (on choke) and she rev'ed (what would be) normal! :wtf:

(When I first got her I knew the jets were a hair off, but I have no clue on how to work on them. Bike runs good and has been getting better the more I ride it. Trully wondered if it had set for a while and the carbs needed a good cleaning)?

Got on her to ride to work and she was running what I would call normal. I made it north on Old River Rd to a mile and a half section I travel of 555. Got out on 555 and out of the fog and opened her up... WOW! I am not sure where the 150 shot of NOS came from this morning but WOW! First 4 gears were a great ride. I had to back off once I crested the rise in the road, since I know that the state sits in the curve in the morning and at night to catch the drunks leaving the bars...

Any suggestions? Obviously there is a tempature issue and maybe a humidity issue since it was Heavy fog on the river this morning. But, all I can say is WOW. She most certainly has more than my buddies 929RR through the first 4 gears. :bow: (in this weather). I would rally love to figure this out... Cant have a little of a taste of what you been missing and then take it away. :eek:

All engines in general will run better with cooler air. It's just natural that they do. The cooler air is denser and when an engine has a better charge of air it will just run better and make more power.

If it runs okay under warmer conditions it's probably fine and you're just noticing it taking advantage of the cooler air is all.

My superhawk ran great this morning too, but I was stuck in traffic most of it :(

The carbs aren't hard to get out, just take off the tank, take off the airbox, and there they are. Much easier than doing an old inline-4 if you ask me. When you have them out check the d-shaped screws and if they're at the factory setting then back them out half a turn or so if you're all stock.

All engines in general will run better with cooler air. It's just natural that they do. The cooler air is denser and when an engine has a better charge of air it will just run better and make more power.

If it runs okay under warmer conditions it's probably fine and you're just noticing it taking advantage of the cooler air is all.

pretty much this. My old Camaro felt like a dud above 80*. Between 60-70* it felt like a rocket ship

do you have stock exhaust/filter? i chopped my aftermarket cans way down put on a bmc filter and rejetted a year or so ago...my sh is a differnt bike. if you're close to the mods i have i can get u the jetting i'm currently at. check out thesuperhaekforum.com too there are some super friendly guys that know a ton about them.

Cooler/denser air is a huge factor in HP. However, humidity (fog) should completely negate any positives from the cool air. Water doesn't compress. It's interesting that even in the fog you noticed such an increase in power.

Oh my god casper... When I got it she had the uncorked Yoshi's which it ran good then but you could tell something was amiss. So I put the sleeves back in and repacked the cans. Gave it that throatier sound but F'ed the jetting up. Every now and then I get a pop coming back through the carbs (as far as I know it just has the Yoshi RS3 slip on's and factory jets adjusted)... I have no clue if it is aftermarket jetting or not.

It always made good strong power but it had been doing that choke off BS around 6K. This morning it was trying to pull my arms out of socket like a rocket ship all the way to 7.5K-8K... and pulling the front tire in the first 4 gears. It was awesome!

(Old ATV tricks of the trade, when I raced, They always run better than great right before they explode, so I was nervous the rest of the way to work)... But she was running fine. I am excited to see what happens tonight on the way home.

If it runs better in cool air you're a tad on the rich side. Since you re-baffled the exhaust, that richened up the mix. What do the plugs look like? I'm betting they've nice and dark. Rich is always better than lean, but if you want more power you can lean it out a bit. Go too lean and bad things happen though. (overheating, holed pistons) I'm almost positive you don't need a carb clean, since that makes a bike run lean due to blocked jets.

If its falling on its face at 6K, Your mains are probably to big. If the bike has adjustable needle clips you can raise the clip position, which would lean it out some. Check the plugs after every adjustment to see where you're at. I'm betting just playing with the needle will fix your issues.

You might want to open the carbs up and see what size jets you have and compare them with stock. From how you're describing it, its got a jet kit in it.

Oh my god casper... Every now and then I get a pop coming back through the carbs (as far as I know it just has the Yoshi RS3 slip on's and factory jets adjusted).

Mine has a full yoshi system and mine is FI and i get this too.. i think my valves need adjusted though

Mine has a full yoshi system and mine is FI and i get this too.. i think my valves need adjusted though

Oh yeah, Make sure everything else is done before you go playing with jetting. Carbs synced, valves adjusted, cam chain adjusted if you're supposed to do that on a SH, (not sure if they even use a chain?)

Pretty sure they do, everyone keeps telling me to upgrade to the new style manual cam chain tensioners and get rid of the factory ones? The only ones I can find are some generic blue ones on Ebay though? The guys at dreamers motorsports here is zanesville cant find them either?