I F'in hate insurance companies...

Beegreenstrings

Just got a call that the home owners insurance I have will not be renewing my policy in 60 days since I live so far from a fire department.

WTF!

This was the issue with Allstate last year... S.O.A.B.!

Really I dont live that far out in the country. Sticks yeah, but good lord With in 9 miles in three different directions I have 5 fire departments. :wtf:

Plus, I was a level II FF/Medic and a Lt when I was with the department. Holy chit do they think I am going to let my house burn down.

Just had to vent! What is everyone supposed to do, move into the cities.

Funny I went through this with Nationwide 2 years ago. They raised my homeowners premium by $800/yr because I lived 7 miles from the responding FD. I promptly can elled all of policies with them, which prompted a brief rant from my agent. I told her to bitch to Nationwide, not me. I ended up moving everything to Farmers and have no issues. Good luck with your search.

Just got a call that the home owners insurance I have will not be renewing my policy in 60 days since I live so far from a fire department.

WTF!

Really I dont live that far out in the country. Sticks yeah, but good lord With in 9 miles in three different directions I have 5 fire departments. :wtf:

Plus, I was a level II FF/Medic and a Lt when I was with the department. Holy chit do they think I am going to let my house burn down.

It sounds like your current company ran a protection class search on your home. Basically if you live more than 5 road miles away from a responding fire department / station and a certain distance way from a fire hydrant you fall into various property protection classes. These protection classes look like 4/9 for example. If you are 5 road miles or less from a responding fire department / station and have a fire hydrant within 1000 feet you will be in a protection class 4. If you are 5 road miles a way from a responding fire department / station and have a fire hydrant more than 1000 feet away you will be classified in a protection class 9 and finally to add to you confusion if your property does not qualify for either of the above scenarios a protection class 10 applies.

These protection classes are what insurance companies use to rate your property, the lower the protection class the lower your rate will be (usually, but other underwriting criteria come into play as well) and easier it is to insure your home and vice versa. If the agent did not research where your home is located in a protection class the company will.

I would talk to your agent and see what exactly went on but from what you are describing it sounds like the company did a search on your property protection class.

Edited by The Wind
  • Upvote 1

It sounds like your current company ran a protection class search on your home. Basically if you live more than 5 road miles away from a responding fire department / station and a certain distance way from a fire hydrant you fall into various property protection classes. These protection classes look like 4/9 for example. If you are 5 road miles or less from a responding fire department / station and have a fire hydrant within 1000 feet you will be in a protection class 4. If you are 5 road miles a way from a responding fire department / station and have a fire hydrant more than 1000 feet away you will be classified in a protection class 9 and finally to add to you confusion if your property does not qualify for either of the above scenarios a protection class 10 applies.

These protection classes are what insurance companies use to rate your property, the lower the protection class the lower your rate will be (usually, but other underwriting criteria come into play as well) and easier it is to insure your home and vice versa. If the agent did not research where your home is located in a protection class the company will.

I would talk to your agent and see what exactly went on but from what you are describing it sounds like the company did a search on your property protection class.

That is what Nationwide did and put me in PC 9 and stated if I wasn't already a policy holder they would not insure my house.

And so your next question should be 'why can't I be rated at the prot class 10 rate and keep your policy?

And so your next question should be 'why can't I be rated at the prot class 10 rate and keep your policy?

That would be a question to ask the agent as well. They (the company or agent) may respond back with there is no rate for a PC 10 and it is not something we are looking to insure at this current moment. Or they might have a rate developed and it is so outrageous that it would not be financially viable to stay with his current insurer. They're companies out there that will write a home in a PC10. For sure the Ohio FAIR (Fair Access to Insurance Requirements) plan will. I would just start calling around to independent agents and get some quotes.

Don't feel bad, Allstate wouldn't grant me a landlord policy on my home because the house was within 50' of a commercial property and the driveway was shared between the two.

Then Nationwide wouldn't give me a renters policy on the place I rent because the prior owner had too many claims.

My parents just went with Cinci actually after telling nationwide to fuck themselves for dropping me due to my DUI. Actually that was before we found out we had been over paying Nationwide by about 200% for the last 30 years for dad, more probably, and 10 years for me.

Nationwide can go fuck itself. Sorry if you work for them, I hear it all day since I work for Chase.

My parents just went with Cinci actually after telling nationwide to fuck themselves for dropping me due to my DUI. Actually that was before we found out we had been over paying Nationwide by about 200% for the last 30 years for dad, more probably, and 10 years for me.

Nationwide can go fuck itself. Sorry if you work for them, I hear it all day since I work for Chase.

Nope I do not represent Nationwide, so no hard feelings there.

WTF!

I can recommend a good independant agent. I had a similar problem a few yeas back and he took really good care of me. Still does. I have rock star insurance for McDonald's money - home and cars. PM me for contact info. He's helped some of my friends and co-workers in the past too with insurance hurdles.

I have a independant now. He is a son of a friend. I figured when I told Allstate to go fuck themselves I would at least give him a shot. He did great on the bikes (and even better the other day) but then he came back and kept asking questions about our jeep. Seems that the paperwork I signed had the jeep on it but the policy does not. I was I dont know what to tell you. You have a signed document. So the auto company seems to be in a tiff about that. So, once again I am ready to tell another auto insurance company to go fuck themselves as well.

God I hate insurance. I should device a "Bill" and send it to the state rep I know to allow people to be self insured... There are other states that have and have no blame clauses set up... What a rip off.

A recommendation I had from a contractor friend is to go with a local/regional company instead of a national, highly advertised company. For one, how do you think they pay for those fancy commercials on TV and radio? The smaller, regional companies are easier to deal with when you need something taken care of, and your rates won't go up when a hurricane hits in the south, because they don't do business there. Your coverage situation is likely to be better with a company that insures rural areas more than urban, as well.

That would be a question to ask the agent as well. They (the company or agent) may respond back with there is no rate for a PC 10 and it is not something we are looking to insure at this current moment. Or they might have a rate developed and it is so outrageous that it would not be financially viable to stay with his current insurer. They're companies out there that will write a home in a PC10. For sure the Ohio FAIR (Fair Access to Insurance Requirements) plan will. I would just start calling around to independent agents and get some quotes.

Usually it will fall down to the fact that some insurance companies do not write for pc 10 because of how they have made their deal with the state Ins commission. But like you said there will be those insurers out there that will write those policies.

A few years back my wife was involved in some software testing involving rating. This included all states where Nationwide writes business. It was a real eye opener for me as to all involved in writing and rating a policy. And every state is different.