Hatfield McCoy

bowdog

Anyone here ever been down to Hatfield McCoy? I am thinking about planning a trip down to do some riding, i have a YFZ450 and a big bear that my girl will be riding. Any info that you could share with me would be greatly appreciated for this would be my first time. example where to stay, where to ride, what i should bring that i might not think i would need, etc.

Never been there but we will be at Walhonding Hills this weekend. Its on the West side of Coshocton County. Been going there for years and years. They have all different types of camping, rv hook ups to primative. Give them a call at 740 824 4575. ATV's, side x sides, and rails are welcome. They have a shower house, swimming pool, baskets ball, play ground and plenty of trails.

I will also caution you against taking your girlfriend on your extra quad unless she is very comfortable on it. The terrain there is unlike anything we have here and is not a place to learn. You will have no cell service in most areas and will be milesfrom any kind of help and hours from a hospital. It is a challenging and very fun place to ride but absolutely not a place to learn

I've been there many times. My two favorite trails are bear wallow and rockhouse. I always stay in Mann WV it is central to both trail heads and is the cheapest as well.

Is there cabins there or do i bring my tent? Do i need to get a sticker to ride the trails? Also how about gas? i run 100 octane in my quad is there gas stations that i can hit that would sell that down there or am i better off taking my own from here? LOL last but not least how long of a drive from Columbus?

I will also caution you against taking your girlfriend on your extra quad unless she is very comfortable on it. The terrain there is unlike anything we have here and is not a place to learn. You will have no cell service in most areas and will be milesfrom any kind of help and hours from a hospital. It is a challenging and very fun place to ride but absolutely not a place to learn

good to know... she is an ok rider but would not say advanced by any means! would hate to not have my hunting quad come hunting season but not sure how well it would go over leaving her home!! :o

Edited by bowdog

lmgtfy: http://walhondinghillscampground.com/offroading.htm

Website appears to have been made with MS Publisher 97... :lol:

this looks pretty sweet as well, i am going to have to check this out maybe next weekend if anyone else wants to join, wish i could this weekend but i have a friggen wedding i have to go to on Sunday!

Its just under 4 hours from Columbus. Half of the town is rentals, cabins houses rooms ect. As far as 100 octane no not gonna find it there. You get fuel from speedway or 7-11. Why do you run 100 octane in that anyway? Just preference for some reason or mods because it would take massive motor work to require that Im sure you'd be just fine on the 94 that the pumps have. And yes you need a sticker to ride and they only sell yearly passes and a non resident sticker is 54 dollars if I remember right.

Its just under 4 hours from Columbus. Half of the town is rentals, cabins houses rooms ect. As far as 100 octane no not gonna find it there. You get fuel from speedway or 7-11. Why do you run 100 octane in that anyway? Just preference for some reason or mods because it would take massive motor work to require that Im sure you'd be just fine on the 94 that the pumps have. And yes you need a sticker to ride and they only sell yearly passes and a non resident sticker is 54 dollars if I remember right.

Thank you that really helps a lot!! i run 100 because when i run 93 it seems to pop and back fire, not sure why. I have no motor work just pipe,jet, and air filter.

bowdog, you have been to Perry County APV and Wayne, right?

Yup but only on my old dirt bike...was pretty rutted and not in a good fun way and thought it was poorly managed but that was 4 years ago. Has anything changed?

Thank you that really helps a lot!! i run 100 because when i run 93 it seems to pop and back fire, not sure why. I have no motor work just pipe,jet, and air filter.

Your jetting and carb tuning is the problem. Not the fuel. With no motor work done that quad will run like a champ on 87....if the carb is right if you just did a slip on the jets don't even need changed. And it is just as rugged as Wayne and Perry even worse depending on the trail you take. Very rocky and hill climbs that go to the clouds and take several attempt to get there.

Your jetting and carb tuning is the problem. Not the fuel. With no motor work done that quad will run like a champ on 87....if the carb is right if you just did a slip on the jets don't even need changed. And it is just as rugged as Wayne and Perry even worse depending on the trail you take. Very rocky and hill climbs that go to the clouds and take several attempt to get there.

I need to get there soon from the sounds of it.

Another big difference between HMC and Perry is at Perry you dont have to climb hills if you choose not to you can just go around and end up in the same spot. At HMC it is all thru the mountains so even if you stick the green trails, the easy ones, you still have to do hill climbs theres no way around it. You can look around and choose your hill and take the easiest one you can find but sometimes the easiest one is still a pretty good climb.

I've been there many times. My two favorite trails are bear wallow and rockhouse. I always stay in Mann WV it is central to both trail heads and is the cheapest as well.

What he said!

Hatfield McCoy is an awesome place to ride. If your girl is not adventurous you will not have much fun riding around on the green trails. To have fun on a bike you need to hit the blue, black or orange trails. Green, blue and black are the only trials the quads can go on though. Have fun and be careful!

Its a full system not just a slip on... Any recomendations on who to look at the jets then? I had extreme tech install but they are more Honda guys than anything.

What he said!

Hatfield McCoy is an awesome place to ride. If your girl is not adventurous you will not have much fun riding around on the green trails. To have fun on a bike you need to hit the blue, black or orange trails. Green, blue and black are the only trials the quads can go on though. Have fun and be careful!

Ok sounds like we are going to have to do a guys only "explorer"trip first and then i will tell her if its worth us going together or not!?!?! :D