Anyone have experience with Etrailer

Mykill

Remind me to not buy your car!

Towing with your setup at 75-85 is dangerous, just cause you can get the car and trailer to go that fast doesn't mean you can stop it efficiently! I swear common sense goes out the door when people get in their cars. I have a pickup up with a brake controller, and a tandem axle trailer, and I won't tow at 75-85 mph. Have you ever seen what happens to those tires when they heat up? Have you ever seen what happens to the car when you end up in the median after blowing a tire? They're going to need the jaws of life to get you out.

Some people shouldn't be on the road!

put a good set of tires on the trailer then. my 6x12 enclosed with single axle saw 85-90mph on the last trip back from the Gap and they did just fine. Speaking of common sense, you don't need trailer brakes and a brake controller to stop in enough time, its called keeping a proper distance from vehicles in front of you. I put that to the test when some asshole cut me off and my brakes on my truck were about shot by that time

Nevermind! Hell I could to that fast, but a little four banger has a hard enough time controlling rhe trailer. Just nevermind! Maybe he will be lucky maybe not! You see the shit I see out here on the road it gives a different perspective!

Hell I could to that fast, but a little four banger has a hard enough time controlling rhe trailer. Just nevermind! Maybe he will be lucky maybe not!

Actually the whole point of the post was that my little four banger handled it just fine even at higher speeds. Trailer felt great and pulled smooth the whole trip. No troubles at all from my car. Keep on truckin' :confused:

John, I'll be in touch.

my jalopy 2 door coupe pulls an open trailer with 2 bikes and gear just fine. europeans tow campers all the time with their shitty little 4 bangers. we're just a bunch of prudes in the US, that's all.

my jalopy 2 door coupe pulls an open trailer with 2 bikes and gear just fine. europeans tow campers all the time with their shitty little 4 bangers. we're just a bunch of prudes in the US, that's all.

There's lots in the US that are just plain shitty drivers too! Trailer or not!

the trailer TIRES may be a pit of a concern, but I have honestly worried more about the wheel bearings.

You can keep the tires cooler by keeping them inflated to the proper pressure (less flexing).

But the faster you go, the more rotations those small wheels require. with 12" trailer wheels, I set try not to do more than 70mph (indicated, which is really more like 64 according to the GPS). The trailer itself says 55mph is the max safe speed. From a product liability standpoint, I'm sure they're covering their asses and erring on the side of caution.

The same is true of the max tow and load capacities for vehicles. What's possible, and what's safe can be very different.

^^The one thing that steered me away from most smaller utility trailers were the 12" tires. I'd be paranoid with those, which is why I love running 14" for the peace of mind as I tend to have a lead foot

^^The one thing that steered me away from most smaller utility trailers were the 12" tires. I'd be paranoid with those, which is why I love running 14" for the peace of mind as I tend to have a lead foot

I just stop after 20 minutes or so to check the hubs. If they're warm, i turn around and go home.

It sucks if i'm in a hurry, but setting the cruise at ~68 really saves gas...

Remind me to not buy your car!

Towing with your setup at 75-85 is dangerous, just cause you can get the car and trailer to go that fast doesn't mean you can stop it efficiently! I swear common sense goes out the door when people get in their cars. I have a pickup up with a brake controller, and a tandem axle trailer, and I won't tow at 75-85 mph. Have you ever seen what happens to those tires when they heat up? Have you ever seen what happens to the car when you end up in the median after blowing a tire? They're going to need the jaws of life to get you out.

Some people shouldn't be on the road!

You're probably the guy that is in my way sitting in the fast lane doing 2 mph faster than the car you are passing and then sit their asses in the passing lane and force me to pass on the right side.

Yes, with my dually and big trailer filled with racebikes doing 80-85mph. Without a sway in the trailer and with more than enough stopping force.

Remember one thing before you go smashing everyone under a common blanket. One, my reaction time is probably close to twice what you have. Second, I pay attention and can most likely get out of sticky spots quicker than you can.

I've also blown a tire at 75-80 on a single axle trailer with no electric brakes being pulled by a small pick up truck. Guess what happened? Didn't overreact and got it slowed and pulled off to the side. The tire mangled the fender and walked up the side of the trailer a bit, but that would have happened at 65 or slower.

What you need to do is sit at home in a little bubble and critique everyone's driving from the comfort of your Lazy Boy...

"Some people"

To the OP... I had a couple of buddies that did the slim line or hidden receivers and had zero issues. The tranny is going to be fine if you start off slower and build your speed. For Father Panic Pants, the idea is to leave enough room to stop if it is sudden and needed. Sounds like you were fine. Panic Stricken guy probably has a heart attack when a semi truck cruises past him with a full load and a 53' trailer at 80 mph through the mountains. I've driven a 73' Show Hauler filled through the Apps and we were running 75-80 the whole time with more than enough safety...

You're good. Go have fun. Oh, and honk when you pass Grandpa with hands at 10 and 2 doing 64 mph in the 65 mph zone or running 55 mph because that is what U-Haul has on the fender...:rolleyes:

My panties aren't in a bunch, Hell I'm free balling!

Those little tires they have on the open uhaul motorcycle trailers have a tendency to come off the rim completely much like snow mobile trailer wheels. I will say it us interesting to watch when the trailer hits the ground. The other issue towing that fast us if the trailer starts fish tailing your screwed. You don't just need to stop due to traffic there are other reasons to stop.

You do as you wish I travel in a semi and your not going to hurt me! I've seen more accidents with cages towing trailers lately.

The other issue is that with people that DO NOT KNOW HOW TO TOW (Much like people that do not know how to ride a motorcycle) is when you find issues. The swaying at speed is usually compounded because the uneducated tower applies brakes. That will enhance the sway and cause issues.

Again, sounds like you are a worrying kinda guy and that's fine. Just remember one sound thing when I pull up behind you... "Slower traffic keep right". You can condemn me and lecture me later. If you are doing 65 in a 65 and I am doing 66, I'm going faster and you need to be polite and considerate and get over.

The other issue is that with people that DO NOT KNOW HOW TO TOW (Much like people that do not know how to ride a motorcycle) is when you find issues. The swaying at speed is usually compounded because the uneducated tower applies brakes. That will enhance the sway and cause issues.

Again, sounds like you are a worrying kinda guy and that's fine. Just remember one sound thing when I pull up behind you... "Slower traffic keep right". You can condemn me and lecture me later. If you are doing 65 in a 65 and I am doing 66, I'm going faster and you need to be polite and considerate and get over.

I do jeep right I sure wish others did, I hate going through cinci or cbus everybody thinkbthe need the left two Damn lanes.

I highly doubt your reaction is much faster than mine, I drive a truck and was trained under the smirth system. I'm jot saying it isn't faster but I bet not much if it is. I've blown to steer tires in a semi fully loaded 65 plus, had a trailer air line rupture at 65 plus causing major air loss. With a four cylinder car pulling a trailer rolling down a hill, how is he going to accelerate if trailer says starts? Towing with a proper tow vehicle and being experienced is different than towing a uhaul behind a 4 cylinder car in the mountains rolling down the hill. I rarely tow on the interstate in my personak vehicle which is why I don't usually tow at 75-80. When we moved from Indiana I ran 74 or so most of the way with a fully loaded car trailer. I also know what my vehicle and I are capable of. That setup 80 mph is dangerous in my opinion, but its not my life he risked!

I do jeep right I sure wish others did, I hate going through cinci or cbus everybody thinkbthe need the left two Damn lanes.

I highly doubt your reaction is much faster than mine, I drive a truck and was trained under the smirth system. I'm jot saying it isn't faster but I bet not much if it is. I've blown to steer tires in a semi fully loaded 65 plus, had a trailer air line rupture at 65 plus causing major air loss. With a four cylinder car pulling a trailer rolling down a hill, how is he going to accelerate if trailer says starts? Towing with a proper tow vehicle and being experienced is different than towing a uhaul behind a 4 cylinder car in the mountains rolling down the hill. I rarely tow on the interstate in my personak vehicle which is why I don't usually tow at 75-80. When we moved from Indiana I ran 74 or so most of the way with a fully loaded car trailer. I also know what my vehicle and I are capable of. That setup 80 mph is dangerous in my opinion, but its not my life he risked!

:yousuck:

and lol at Brian having less reaction time than you. :rolleyes:

Edited by Mykill

I was trained under the Shutyomouff system. It probably isn't as good as the Smirth system, but it'll do.

Dude, the muscle flexing is fine, but understand this - you have no freakin clue about me nor any of the other guys posting apparently... The fact is that believe it or not, there are people that can handle things you believe they cannot. Again, if you do not tow on the interstate, you apparently don't travel a lot. Or, you don't have much faith in your Smirth trained mind to handle a small rig and yet even smaller trailer...

We appreciate your input, your MASSIVE collection of driving skills and your need to live in a safety bubble. But, as mentioned by many folks on here, there are NUMEROUS examples of people with smaller cars towing trailers. Some driving like a grandmother and some driving a little bit outside that barrier...

In the end, relax, dad. It'll be all OK.

I was trained under the Shutyomouff system. It probably isn't as good as the Smirth system, but it'll do.

Dude, the muscle flexing is fine, but understand this - you have no freakin clue about me nor any of the other guys posting apparently... The fact is that believe it or not, there are people that can handle things you believe they cannot. Again, if you do not tow on the interstate, you apparently don't travel a lot. Or, you don't have much faith in your Smirth trained mind to handle a small rig and yet even smaller trailer...

We appreciate your input, your MASSIVE collection of driving skills and your need to live in a safety bubble. But, as mentioned by many folks on here, there are NUMEROUS examples of people with smaller cars towing trailers. Some driving like a grandmother and some driving a little bit outside that barrier...

In the end, relax, dad. It'll be all OK.

What he said.... KTM, you doing any days down south this winter? With Dubguy in Indy now, I think our winter trip is on hold until everything is situated and good to go with he and Jen. I'd love to get on the track 2-3 times this winter just to keep improving.

What he said.... KTM, you doing any days down south this winter? With Dubguy in Indy now, I think our winter trip is on hold until everything is situated and good to go with he and Jen. I'd love to get on the track 2-3 times this winter just to keep improving.

I'm down with a trip to Jennings or similar. Heading to ride Las Vegas Motor Speedway the weekend before Thanksgiving. Would like to hit a December Jennings and maybe a Feb one...

I have been considering running barber on Nov 26th and 27th