Anyone have experience with Etrailer

Mykill

Im thinking about picking up a hitch to put on my car (4cyl Accord) and this was recommended to me. The installation looks pretty easy and requires zero drilling. I can get this and wiring for basically half of what Uhaul will charge me. I will just be pulling my bike and the lightest trailer from Uhaul I can get. Its rated for 2000 lbs so should be enough. So basically wondering if anyone else has any experience with them?

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Honda/Accord/2007/60953.html?vehicleid=20073707

I can't comment on the etrailer, but watch out w/ Uhaul. Their motorcycle trailers are pretty heavy for as small as they are. On top of that, they have a nasty habit of not having the small ones on the lot, and then giving you the next size bigger.

I would guess their small trailers are ~600 lbs, plus another 500 for your bike. You're probably pushing the limits of that accord pretty quickly.

a HF or single-rail bike trailer is more like 200-300 lbs, if you can beg, borrow, or steal one. I "parallel parked" my trailer at a bar in Lakewood, and a cop must have been right behind me. he pulled up to tell me I couldn't leave the trailer hanging in the street the way it was. I smiled at him, asked for a minute, and then picked up the back of my trailer and walked it closer to the curb. He just laughed and said, "carry on." :D

Don't know what year yours is but here is the seller I used..super fast shipping think I had it in 3 days http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-2007-Honda-Accord-Coupe-Sedan-Curt-Hitch-113270-/270692033295?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f0680a30f

Check out Curt hitches on ebay (they are factory direct)..I got mine with wire harness,reciever,and pin for less than $150 delivered for my 07 impala..they are high qualitypowder coated and EZ to install

Did you have to drill though? I dont have the capability or confidence to drill which is why I was looking at the Etrailers.

Tim,

The link does say that and the instruction say to as well...

http://sitepro12.sitepro.com/masterlibrary/11327/installsheet/CM_11327_INS.pdf

crb,

it is supposedly is rated for 1000lbs. Uhaul motorcycle trailer is 550 and bike is 430 wet so I would be right at the limit. It is any automatic as well...

how much lighter are the harbor freight trailers?

I would try to stay away from getting that close to the max load. You should invest in your own trailer so you know what it weighs and you can always have that one avail. and as mentioned above, I would try to keep overall weight as low as possible since you are not exactly towing with a diesel truck. Heavy towing can play hell with an automatic transmission and brakes

Key is don't use overdrive towing in OD will over heat the tranny...even in the big rigs they recommend you tow with the OD off..yes the engine will run at higher revs, I always make sure the change the oil before and after a long tow trip and always use a high quality synthetic...ofcourse im talking about the tranny as far as that 4 bagger goes you might be a bit under powered

Edited by 2talltim

The tranny is a slight concern but not too worried about it. The engine should have no problem pulling 700-800 pounds. Ideal? No, but its what I have. Ive talked to a guy at the track who pulled his bike with my exact car only sedan and said he has been to 6 TD's with no issues. Then there is this Accord with 418k miles pulling a bike with no issues http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=73185 so ya....

Dude, you are fine. I've seen this set up(just a different car) all the time at the track this season. I never would have said this until I actually saw it. Nelson probably has 5 guys with 4 bangers towing a bike and gear on a trailer. 1-2 are Uhaul trailers as well. If you know you are going to need one, just call early and reserve it or something.

NOW I would probably recommend a HF trailer instead as well, simply because in the long run you will save a shit ton of money. Actually that railer for sale on here would be perfect, split rail is even lighter and you can put some stuff like a canopy on there too. They have them on Craigs all the time too.

I've bought from Etrailer before and had 0 issues.

Also I am always one for towing safely if you read my other posts and this is fine, just don't get crazy and haul a bike and a scooter etc.

Edit; trailer sold, but look on craigs they are like 500 or less and weight about 125 lbs. if that.

Edited by madcat6183
TRailer sold

I'm a little late to this, but I got my hitch from Etrailer for my IS300. Great service and prices were good, plus the people on the phone were a big help when it came to getting some of the wiring issues addressed before I made my final purchase (I needed an auxiliary harness to power the trailer lights). I'd happily buy from them again.

• 1 month later...

Update.

I got it installed by myself with no help. The instructions are good and they have videos on the youtubes to watch as well. The harderst part was getting my exhaust hangers off. My GF and I decided to head down to the dragon for a couple days. I rented a trailer from Uhaul and loaded the bike. The 4 cyl Accord pulled well all through Ohio and through the hills and mountains in KY and TN. It managed 20 MPG on the way down pulling steady at avg 70 mph. On the way home well I felt more confident and averaged 75-85mph (carrying speed up the "hills"). Car did great the whole way and got 19 MPG. Overall, I am very happy with the hitch and the way the car pulled. A lighter trailer definitely would have helped since I think the Uhaul trailer was on the heavy side.

Update.

I got it installed by myself with no help. The instructions are good and they have videos on the youtubes to watch as well. The harderst part was getting my exhaust hangers off. My GF and I decided to head down to the dragon for a couple days. I rented a trailer from Uhaul and loaded the bike. The 4 cyl Accord pulled well all through Ohio and through the hills and mountains in KY and TN. It managed 20 MPG on the way down pulling steady at avg 70 mph. On the way home well I felt more confident and averaged 75-85mph (carrying speed up the "hills"). Car did great the whole way and got 19 MPG. Overall, I am very happy with the hitch and the way the car pulled. A lighter trailer definitely would have helped since I think the Uhaul trailer was on the heavy side.

I've got a 3 rail MC trailer I no longer use. Let me know if you're interested and I'll shoot you some pics.

Make sure you keep the bike centered over the trailer wheels as this will keep the tongue wait down saving your car's suspension. I tow a jet ski with a 4cylinder car several times a week, the hitch is basically a sandwich plate that attaches to the frame using the stock bolts.

Update.

Remind me to not buy your car!

Towing with your setup at 75-85 is dangerous, just cause you can get the car and trailer to go that fast doesn't mean you can stop it efficiently! I swear common sense goes out the door when people get in their cars. I have a pickup up with a brake controller, and a tandem axle trailer, and I won't tow at 75-85 mph. Have you ever seen what happens to those tires when they heat up? Have you ever seen what happens to the car when you end up in the median after blowing a tire? They're going to need the jaws of life to get you out.

Some people shouldn't be on the road!

Towing with your setup at 75-85 is dangerous, just cause you can get the car and trailer to go that fast doesn't mean you can stop it efficiently! I swear common sense goes out the door when people get in their cars. I have a pickup up with a brake controller, and a tandem axle trailer, and I won't tow at 75-85 mph. Have you ever seen what happens to those tires when they heat up? Have you ever seen what happens to the car when you end up in the median after blowing a tire? They're going to need the jaws of life to get you out.

Because I was tailgating? I went 85 going down a mountain! with no one in a reasonable stopping distance and heading up another mountain which proceeded to scrub off all my speed. If I felt I couldnt stop in the amount of traffic I was in then I wouldnt have been going that fast. Happened often on the way there where I was going below the speed limit.

You wont tow that speed in your setup because I doubt its in mountains and you have to higher revs pulling up a mountain...so I carried speed.

Keep you common sense to yourself and in your situations where you are present.

I've got a 3 rail MC trailer I no longer use. Let me know if you're interested and I'll shoot you some pics.

Marty Matuszak

Your Friendly Neighborhood Photographer

www.photosbymartyllc.com

I bought one and it tows great.

They only problem I had was,I had to widen the back rail several inches to fit a 7-1/4 rear tire.Easy fix !

You should look into this for towing with a smaller vehicle.

May wanna take a step back on this buddy. No need to get your panties in a bunch and unload on him for doing what he felt comfortable doing.

From what he stated earlier he is within what is capable of his car, and towing 75-85 may not always be the smartest thing, but to carry speed to get up a hill easier, it definitely is.

I've seen what happens to tires, and actually compared to car tires, I will take a trailer blowout anytime, there is a reason they are radials with steelcords..... They hold shape better than falt car tires.

Mykill, I would talk to Marty about that 3 rail, that will save a TON of weight, and I've used several before, they are great. Glad to hear you made it there and back and all is well.

Get at me sometime this winter, need to set up a trip south and also some days next season together.

May wanna take a step back on this buddy. No need to get your panties in a bunch and unload on him for doing what he felt comfortable doing.

From what he stated earlier he is within what is capable of his car, and towing 75-85 may not always be the smartest thing, but to carry speed to get up a hill easier, it definitely is.

I've seen what happens to tires, and actually compared to car tires, I will take a trailer blowout anytime, there is a reason they are radials with steelcords..... They hold shape better than falt car tires.

Mykill, I would talk to Marty about that 3 rail, that will save a TON of weight, and I've used several before, they are great. Glad to hear you made it there and back and all is well.

Get at me sometime this winter, need to set up a trip south and also some days next season together.

My panties aren't in a bunch, Hell I'm free balling!

Those little tires they have on the open uhaul motorcycle trailers have a tendency to come off the rim completely much like snow mobile trailer wheels. I will say it us interesting to watch when the trailer hits the ground. The other issue towing that fast us if the trailer starts fish tailing your screwed. You don't just need to stop due to traffic there are other reasons to stop.

You do as you wish I travel in a semi and your not going to hurt me! I've seen more accidents with cages towing trailers lately.