2001 f250 4x4 7.3L - feeler

Steve Butters

lock it up

you really want it locked up, or can we totally derail it like normal? I actually have a tangentially related topic that probably isn't worth its own thread.

Was wondering if anyone has seen or owned one of these http://www.travellitecampers.com/models/890Rseries/890Rseries.htm

800_1.jpg

some models say 1/2 ton, some say 3/4 ton. I'd want an F250 with an 8' bed regardless of what the manufacturer says.

I was surprised to see that they also make models for "light" pickups as well though.

The idea was that F250 + in-bed camper + open trailer is the most flexible and practical way to camp at the track in comfort, but also only take up 1 garage spot (my trailer and the camper would fit in the garage)

some models say 1/2 ton, some say 3/4 ton. I'd want an F250 with an 8' bed regardless of what the manufacturer says.

I was surprised to see that they also make models for "light" pickups as well though.

The idea was that F250 + in-bed camper + open trailer is the most flexible and practical way to camp at the track in comfort, but also only take up 1 garage spot (my trailer and the camper would fit in the garage)

truck cap and a mattress would work for cheaper

Edited by Steve Butters

you really want it locked up, or can we totally derail it like normal? I actually have a tangentially related topic that probably isn't worth its own thread.

Was wondering if anyone has seen or owned one of these http://www.travellitecampers.com/models/890Rseries/890Rseries.htm

Way back in the day my family used one of those for vacations. Cramped compared to a motorhome but doable and should be less expensive with much less maintenance.

I agree on 3/4 ton 8ft bed truck recommendation. We started with a 3/4 ton pickup then upgraded to a "Camper Special" which had 1 ton springs with built in tie downs for the camper that made it much more stable. However you fuel economy will stuck with one of these in the bed. That setup got about the same economy as the 26' motorhome we later owned.

Now all of this is based on the unit my family owned 25-30 years ago. The trucks and campers were all well used before we owned them also. :D

Craig