Passing a stopped school bus

Scruit

^ rofl

Since what I would say has already been said, many times, I present the following for even further [unnecessary] clarification. This is direct from the Ohio BMV Digest of Motor Vehicle Laws:

"2. If the bus is stopped on a street or road which has fewer than four lanes, all traffic approaching the bus from either direction must stop at least 10 feet from the front or rear of the bus and remain stopped until the bus begins to move or the bus driver signals motorists to proceed.

3. If the bus is stopped on a street or road which has four or more lanes,

only traffic proceeding in the same direction as the bus must stop."

Edited by BonkerS

But it's for the children!!

Ok, I'm done. I am appropriately glad to see my fellow two-wheelers know the law a damn sight better than the youtube commentators who are in unanimous agreement that it is illegal.

If BlackBetty wants to use this as an opportunity to refresh herself on the law than cool, no harm no foul. Better to learn here than be schooled by a judge after writing someone a ticket for it.

4 lane road- not required to stop unless you're moving in the same direction.

Now I just to figure out if some of the roads I travel on are 2 or 4 lane.

You would think that would be easy, but these are city streets with only a center double yellow marked. The lanes are wide enough that most of the time cars run side by side, but with large trucks there is not room to safely pass in the lane.

Im guessing these are considered 2 lane roads, but it is not clear.

There are a number of roads configured like this in and around Cleveland. They are usually pretty good for a motorcyclist because you can always get around vehicles even if they are trucks or someone who doesn't feel like the road should be a 4 lane. :D

Craig

An apology might be in order here. Hope you've never issued a ticket for this.

the "law" you quoted differs from the Ohio Revised Code that Conn-e-Rott posted earlier.

The key distinction is in bold below:

(D) School buses operating on divided highways or on highways with four or more traffic lanes

If the version Casper posted is correct, than I can see an argument over what "divided into 4 lanes" means. Is a yellow line "dividing" the road, or does it require a physical barrier? If that's how the law reads, I'm sure there's case law that would tell us.

If the version Conn-e-Rott posted is correct, then no need for clarification. I would guess that confusion over the old wording is what prompted the new wording.

If people would follow the rules, there wouldn't be accidents. Don't be polite...., follow the rules. Don't kindly wave me to make a left in front of you, just go. Don't slow so I can merge, just go and I will yield as directed by the pretty triangle. And don't dead stop in the middle of a four-lane road as a courtesy to a school bus. Follow the rules.

Note: I am perfect and do nothing wrong. Ever.

• Downvote 1

Yeah, I get to see a lot of school buses when going to and from work.

So many people stop on 4 lane roads, I had to look it up, twice or more.

No you don't have to stop in the opposite direction, if 4 lanes or more, divided or not.

You do have to stop for 3 lane roads.

I will advise caution, of course, since it's very likely that the person in front will stop or panic and stop.

When they didn't need to, or shouldn't have.

Not to mention that a person behind you, might be the one that's not stopping...

What is considered a divided highway is a good question? My understanding has always been for the road to be considered divided there had to be a physical barrier median grass, jersey barrier, curb, etc. I have no idea what the law is this is the guidline we go by in the semi. If I'm on a non physical divided highway I stop especially in the semi. I understand that by law the bus driver is only supposed to stop children on the curb sideon a four lane road, but I would have a hard time dealing with hitting a child even if I am following the law to the "T"

Edited by crb

What is considered a divided highway is a good question? My understanding has always been for the road to be considered divided there had to be a physical barrier median grass, jersey barrier, curb, etc. I have no idea what the law is this is the guidline we go by in the semi. If I'm on a non physical divided highway I stop especially in the semi. I understand that by law the bus driver is only supposed to stop children on the curb sideon a four lane road, but I would have a hard time dealing with hitting a child even if I am following the law to the "T"

"Divided into four or more lanes" is not a "divided highway". Lines divide up lanes as well as a physical barrier.

My SIL is a Sheriff, the RVC is correct with one exception.

You must stop with a painted line center, regardless of speed of road.

If there is a median 4 ft. or wider, you can proceed after stopping.

It sounds a litle strange, but I guess it is left up to the Leo.

I have the question out to another cop buddy, no response yet.

But.... You should have stopped, for no other reason then that kids can be unpredictable.

Ride safe all, And ATGATT please.

Greg

But.... You should have stopped, for no other reason then that kids can be unpredictable.

Greg

Yes, please stop in the middle of the road unexpectedly. The dead kid in your rear window Will thank you for not spooking the short bus.

Greg

If you are on a 4-lane highway there is no need to stop, at all, for oncoming buses. "Proceed after stopping" Where did that come from?

It is not up to the LEO to change the law by the side of the road.

I dispute the assertion that I should have stopped because kids are unpredictable. Sure kids are unpredictable but if a kid tries to cross a 4-lane highway then I'll have plenty of time to see him and stop. Maybe we should ban cars from driving past kids on a sidewalk, because kids are unpredictable.

Edited by Scruit

If you are on a 4-lane highway there is no need to stop, at all, for oncoming buses. "Proceed after stopping" Where did that come from?

It is not up to the LEO to change the law by the side of the road.

I dispute the assertion that I should have stopped because kids are unpredictable. Sure kids are unpredictable but if a kid tries to cross a 4-lane highway then I'll have plenty of time to see him and stop. Maybe we should ban cars from driving past kids on a sidewalk, because kids are unpredictable.

No, ignorant parents who don't know how to raise their child should be banned. If you are to stupid to teach your child how to avoid being killed then maybe you shouldnt have children.