2012 Honda CBR1000RR getting ride by wire?

Casper

If I'm able to ride come next spring, that red, white and blue fireblade looks like it could be Johnny's next bike... Or an S1000RR Bimmer. Or a....

According to the story, the R6 has had that for a couple of years, and there haven't been any reports of "Audi-like/Toyota-like unintended acceleration" accidents, have there?

I, for one, welcome our new Intel-based Overlords...

I for one am calling BS on those images of the Honda being the real deal. And here's why: If that is a "spy" shot of the 2012 then why are there throttle cables showing? True throttle by wire is just that, no cables. I never really paid attention to the R6 or R1 to see if they have cables off the throttle tubes or not because....well I don't like them.

Hopefully Honda has better luck racing with the "fly-by-wire" than Ducati did at first.......I know there's always bugs to work out when pioneering a new development in any sport - but it's hard to be very accepting of a new throttle system when the old setup has been tried and true for the last 75 years - so, I'm not really sure I like the idea just yet.......also, if there's a throttle cable malfunction on the mechanical setups, replacement parts are cheap in comparison to all that can go wrong with the electronic throttles

True Hellmutt, but it's easier to replace throttle by wire components. It's one of three things with these systems: the throttle sensor, the servo on the throttle bodies, or the ECU. Unplug a connector and replace basically. Cables are a pain to get off, install new ones, and hook back up. That's just my take on them of course.

So.... what if this malfunctions and opens the throttle wide open? Gonna be an oh shit moment for the rider. Whats the response time from the time the rider twists the throttle to the engine?
what happens if your throttle cable gets stuck and doesn't release? ;)

Umm...kill switch.

Don't be fucking retarded like a bunch of Prius owners.

Umm...kill switch.

Don't be fucking retarded like a bunch of Prius owners.

buwahahaha people that dont use common sense.. ahah.. and the r1 problem was fixed in the first year with no subsequent mass issues.. im not a yammie only guy so im actually not biased.. both standard and flyby wire have their pro's and con's if they didnt then everyone would use either or.. nuff said

There are still cables on the R1. Response is instantaneous, you can't tell the difference. It's pretty old technology, at least in the automotive industry, so i wouldn't be too worried about Honda putting it on one of there bikes. The Corvette has had it since 97.

Yeah, what Ross said. Kill switch. Bikes got them, cars don't.

I've had stuck throttles on cars and bikes both.

But, not a big fan of fly by wire yet. The differences in aviation vs automotive make me want to wait till they are doing it better. On the other hand, German automotive standards for fly by wire are a lot like aviation standards. Besides, real motorcycle riders use fly-by-light fiber optics control (no it doesn't exist yet).

Yeah, what Ross said. Kill switch. Bikes got them, cars don't.

It has a key doesn't it? Slam that biotch in neutral and turn the key.

Didn't anyone here ever see the video of the Prius emergency shutdown? Car goes WOT, press and hold power button, coast to a stop. The end. No one dies.

So.... what if this malfunctions and opens the throttle wide open? Gonna be an oh shit moment for the rider. Whats the response time from the time the rider twists the throttle to the engine?

Our FMEAs are extremely extremely stringent. have you seen a honda car have problems with DBW? we've had it on road cars for over a decade

stop exaggerating

Edited by Das Borgen