Any backwoods type folks here?

Casper

Hiking is the purpose. 10~ miles per day. I'm going on a trip with a couple friends. Haven't been real camping since before I got married. Pretty stoked to get back into it. Thinking about putting together a couple more if there's interest. Maybe a couple winter trips. This upcoming trip we're doing Wildcat Hollow and Zaleski.

I'm doing a thru-hike at Zaleski this weekend. Only my 2nd trip there this year, pretty much always up for a hike-camp though.

Did they ever get the mileage fixed at Zaleski? That "as the bird flies" BS caught me seriously off guard a long time ago. I'll be heading back there in a couple weeks.

Did they ever get the mileage fixed at Zaleski? That "as the bird flies" BS caught me seriously off guard a long time ago. I'll be heading back there in a couple weeks.

Yeah, it can be fairly tough, it has kicked my ass before. ;)

I didn't know the mileage was off, the trail maps they have there are fairly accurate from point to point, or at least I thought. ????

Yeah, it can be fairly tough, it has kicked my ass before. ;)

I didn't know the mileage was off, the trail maps they have there are fairly accurate from point to point, or at least I thought. ????

It's been awhile, maybe they've fixed things since 2001. Great place to spend a couple days backpacking though. Places with lots of vertical change like this really expose the differences in 2-dimensional vs. 3 dimensional measurements.

It's been awhile, maybe they've fixed things since 2001. Great place to spend a couple days backpacking though. Places with lots of vertical change like this really expose the differences in 2-dimensional vs. 3 dimensional measurements.

For sure. The contour lines on the topo map help, at least warning you of the elevation changes.

Here is a link to the trail map I use....

http://www.ohiodnr.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=mXnI5NkrC00%3d&tabid=5171

I'm doing a thru-hike at Zaleski this weekend. Only my 2nd trip there this year, pretty much always up for a hike-camp though.
Interested in winter backpacking?
For sure. The contour lines on the topo map help, at least warning you of the elevation changes.

Here is a link to the trail map I use....

http://www.ohiodnr.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=mXnI5NkrC00%3d&tabid=5171

This is the one I use: http://www.vintoncountytravel.com/images/ZaleskiBackpackBrochure.pdf

Hiking is the purpose. 10~ miles per day. I'm going on a trip with a couple friends. Haven't been real camping since before I got married. Pretty stoked to get back into it. Thinking about putting together a couple more if there's interest. Maybe a couple winter trips. This upcoming trip we're doing Wildcat Hollow and Zaleski.

I totally agree! I love backpacking. Ben, I have actually done Wildcat Hollow and have maps and pointers if you want to hit me up before you go. It is gorgeous.

cold cammping sucks ass love to go atving all over colorado & along the way smoking a backwoods & with food packed next to me sleeping in tent attracting baer & a atv with a flat 30miles from truck & trying to ligt a fire at 10000 feet above sea in a snow storm sucks ass but that is the bad part fun is getting drunk that high & the exploring just no time in the past 3yrs to do it any more

Used to tent camp years ago, did some winter camp/hikes in my teens but diggin a foot deep to pitch a tent sucks a big fat one! Some of the best times ever were camping for days with the guns, the dirtbikes, and fishin' gear - always something fun to do with that trio!!

Just got back from hiking/camping trip. Went to surprise canyon and racetrack playa in death valley and hiked to the bottom of the grand canyon. Didn't sleep in a bed or shower for 5 days... :eek: After all was said and done we had hiked ~55-60 miles with elevation changes totaling ~9,000 in each direction.

be safe!!! :)

Interested in winter backpacking?

This is the one I use: http://www.vintoncountytravel.com/images/ZaleskiBackpackBrochure.pdf

Most of my gear is lighter summer stuff, and my winter bag is heavy. Not opposed to it, I actually prefer cooler days for hikes, but I will need a new sleeping bag first. Something to consider for sure.

Just got back from hiking/camping trip. Went to surprise canyon and racetrack playa in death valley and hiked to the bottom of the grand canyon. Didn't sleep in a bed or shower for 5 days... :eek: After all was said and done we had hiked ~55-60 miles with elevation changes totaling ~9,000 in each direction.

be safe!!! :)

sounds pretty awesome, stinky. :p

sounds pretty awesome, stinky. :p

worse than you can imagine.... My hair was so nappy, it actually looked 5 inches shorter than it is. I did have a chance to rinse off in a stream at the bottom of the Canyon, so I guess it could have been worse! .... although, check out the temperature in the sun :cool::

picture.php?albumid=94&pictureid=14566

the best part of riding is the camping. We have tent camped on three seperate vacations so far this year..Laconica was camping, Outerbanks camping, and then the Dragon..Not much else better than riding all day, then sitting around the fire, kickin back..

• Upvote 1

the best part of riding is the camping. We have tent camped on three seperate vacations so far this year..Laconica was camping, Outerbanks camping, and then the Dragon..Not much else better than riding all day, then sitting around the fire, kickin back..

Add beer to that, and it's one of my favorite past-times. :D

On a side note, I've got my pack down to 24lbs without water, 33lbs with. I don't think I can cut anymore.

worse than you can imagine.... My hair was so nappy, it actually looked 5 inches shorter than it is. I did have a chance to rinse off in a stream at the bottom of the Canyon, so I guess it could have been worse! .... although, check out the temperature in the sun :cool::

picture.php?albumid=94&pictureid=14566

It starts getting real nasty at 160 degrees in full combat gear. Nothing like smelling your own stench coming up from your flak vest right into your face.

Glad you had fun. I've been to the canyon but never hiked it. Sounds like it would have been a blast.

Add beer to that, and it's one of my favorite past-times. :D

On a side note, I've got my pack down to 24lbs without water, 33lbs with. I don't think I can cut anymore.

What do you carry water in? I'd recommend a camel back and some collapsible 2qt canteens.

http://www00.mailcar.net/catalog/index.php?seller=uscamo&main_page=product_info&mode=s&schm=1&cLink=c&products_id=390300765928&psemtrk=google&utm_campaign=EcommerceStoreMarketing&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=GoogleBase&utm_term=GoogleBase

Make sure you use things that can serve dual purposes instead of two separate items, if you haven't already done so.

What do you carry water in? I'd recommend a camel back and some collapsible 2qt canteens.

http://www00.mailcar.net/catalog/index.php?seller=uscamo&main_page=product_info&mode=s&schm=1&cLink=c&products_id=390300765928&psemtrk=google&utm_campaign=EcommerceStoreMarketing&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=GoogleBase&utm_term=GoogleBase

Make sure you use things that can serve dual purposes instead of two separate items, if you haven't already done so.

I'm currently using a 3L CamelBak and a Nalgene water bottle. Probably more water than I need, but whatever.

I'm currently using a 3L CamelBak and a Nalgene water bottle. Probably more water than I need, but whatever.

Too much is better than not enough. I always carried water purification tablets as well as a way to boil water. Yeah, probably overkill too....