Another "first bike choice" thread.

daft_soul

Well I registered july of last year and this is my first post, WTF right? Oh well I've spent my time lurking and learning. I've got a cousin and about 5 local friends with sportbikes so it was just a matter of time before I got on the bandwagon.

Anyway don't wanna ramble... I plan on pulling the trigger on a bike this winter season. I just want suggestions on the bikes I'm considering as well as any that might not be on my radar. I've been looking for something used, on craigslist and such. Looking to spend around $1000, no more than $2000. My top interest so far is the cbr 600 f1 generation hurricane. I like the looks of it and I'm a honda fan already (I drive a DA integra for any of you honda heads). I've also considered the 1st gen gsx 600F...but its a bit heavier than the cbr. Lastly the early 90s gsx-r...but from what I've seen I don't think those will be in my price range. Correct or not?

So yeah just tell me what you think, especially if any of you have dealt with any of these bikes. I'm not looking to have the fastest shit or be a idiot and get myself hurt. I've always had a slight interest...just never jumped in. I only plan modding paint and doing a HID retrofit cause I like HIDs....I just wanna have some FUN.

I'm selling a 94 yamaha xj600 seca2. Perfect beginner bike, and priced to sell at $1300. Plenty of power but not crazy fast. easy to control, easy to work on, not that you would have to other than oil changes. Very comfortable seating position. Come take a test ride, you'll love this bike.

You can come look at it regardless. It's in the for sale section, thread is called "perfect beginner/commuter bike". Just ignore the 3 pages of shit talking that went on because I didn't know about the whole lbts glws thing. Ok, sorry about the temporary thread jack.

Not much. Got my temps and I learned on my friends older suzuki 550. I'm gonna go the BRC > waiver > written test only route to get my full endorsement.

Whoever wants the seca can go ahead. I'm not ready to buy exactly right now but want to this winter season. Also give me time to buy my own full set of protective gear and stuff.

.... again... I'll vouch for the xj600... mine was my first, loved her.... the katana is a good start too... leave the cbr's alone... they are not as comfortable and therefore not as easy to learn on. if you only spend $2,000 on a bike you're gonna end up wanting more in the very short future....

I've said it before, that first bike is a tightrope... you need to get something easy to ride to learn on, but you'll probably get sick of it... $1000-2000 will buy a turnkey bike you can learn on, but by the end of next season, you'll want something different, I'm sure. $3000 is a much better budget for a bike that kind of rides the fence on easy to ride but something you can grow into. Just my $0.02. Of course, I'm the idiot mooshing a Virago and a TL1000R together.

I found a 2007 Ninja 250 in January for $1700 and learned on that for about 5 months then sold it for $2100 and bought my 600. I grew out of the ninja quick but I am definitely glad I learned on that as opposed to my Triumph because you can hammer on the throttle and not take off like a rocket. Not saying thats what you should do but I had never ridden a bike before and had no throttle control or sense of how much throttle I needed to give in various circumstances so it was way more forgiving as I learned. Plus I made a profit from it because 250s really do not lose their value due to how much gas milage you can get and how many people are looking for beginner bikes.

Buy a Ninja 250, ride the piss out of it, and make your mistakes on a bike that's forgiving, cheap to own and buy into, and easy to sell when you're moving up.

Remember, your goal as a new rider should be one thing and one thing only - become a safe, proficient motorcyclist as quickly as possible, not buy the baddassest bike you can put your leg over.

You might find that a 250 is a ton of fucking fun, too, and may not even want to get rid of it when you've got a few thousand miles under your belt.

Buy a Ninja 250, ride the piss out of it, and make your mistakes on a bike that's forgiving, cheap to own and buy into, and easy to sell when you're moving up.

Remember, your goal as a new rider should be one thing and one thing only - become a safe, proficient motorcyclist as quickly as possible, not buy the baddassest bike you can put your leg over.

You might find that a 250 is a ton of fucking fun, too, and may not even want to get rid of it when you've got a few thousand miles under your belt.

I'd say learn on a 600 but I'll agree that the ninja 250 is a pleasant surprise.

meh I'm more a believer in the persons ego/mentality. The most dangerous/powerful bike I've owned yet was my first

I give that opinion a lot of credence. My first bike was an FZ6 and I had no incidents on it.

I also agree that $3000 is the sweet spot for a good used bike.

I'd get a ninja 250 because u can learn on it then sell for same price maybe more when you wanna move up. my first bike was my cbr 600 but wish I woulda got a ninja 250 so I could of got used to riding on the street because I found myself going to fast and not really kno what to do going into turns fast. I still feel my cbr has more power then I will ever need.

Though the 250 is a good choice to start on, I doubt he will. He's determined enough on a 600, that he wanted to take his budget to some older bikes to afford it. Imo, if you can't give up displacement, give up cylinders. I may be biased, but the 650 is plenty of bike, and can be found for less, if you're very keen on cl.

Ready torque, comfortable, even for passengers, simple plastics, plenty of aftermarket, and uh... fun as hell!!