who's got a chain tool in the dayton area?

oldschoolsdime92

i don't, but i'm kinda wondering if autozone has the free rental thing for it. you give them a $50 deposit by credit card, and they put it back on when you give the tool back. i just don't know if they'd have one.

i don't really know the guy who did my chain well enough to borrow it from him...

No tool needed for a rivet link if you're creative. I've done them a few different ways, easiest is to press the plate on with some vice grips and bad language, then put a punch in an air hammer and peen the pins over. You can also do it by hand, back the chain link up with a sledge and use a fag hammer to drive punches of progressively larger diameter into the recess in the pin. As far as breaking the old chain, just cut it with an abrasive cut-off wheel. I've done a lot of rivet link chains and never used one of those tools. All of those chains were on my own bikes and one of them has 5k miles on it, and I peened it over with a punch and hammer. Air hammer totally works the best tho.