Sidi or Alpinestar???

J_Copeland

I had the A* SMX or something of that sort. I have a more narrow foot so the Sidi would have been a better choice for me. I'm not complaining about the A* boot though. Boot liner on the inside, zipper all the way up, shoe ties on the inside. I loved them. Whatever you get make sure it feels good on your foot. Both are solid choices.

It's a toss up really. I will back everyone's statements that the Sidi's are a bit on the narrow side. If I had known that when I bought mine I probably would have gone with an A* instead. The best thing you can do is head to Iron Pony and try on every single brand they happen to carry.

I've got a pair of A* I bought for track use that I've yet to wear for more than 5 minutes. On that note, if you have a wide foot good luck with Sidi as they were pretty narrow when I tried them on at Iron Pony

I can't speak for Sidi, as I have never even tried them on (unfortunately) but I love my A* SMX R boots. They are comfortable enough that I can walk around in them fully zipped up and hop right on the bike; or alternatively get up from a crash and walk right over to the bike and pick it back up. I have never had any discomfort from them. The only thing I would have liked is that they would have more replaceable parts as I see many Sidi's have, although I have not needed to replace anything yet

When I started out I tried all on the types I could and found what everyone else stated to be true. Sidi's are for a narrow footed person. I normally wear a 12/13 shoe and the Astar were the best fit. I got a set of SMX-R boots and they have been a great boot that I've put through some abuse. (2 race seasons+1 trackday season, 3 crashes) and they are still gtg other then a toe slider getting ripped out. TCX also make a decent boot with the Comptizone RS. Best thing to do is try them on and see what feels best and what size if possible. I know I normally wear a 46, but it sometimes goes between a 46/47 depending on the boot.

Check out/Call TJ, Mike or Nate Ridersdiscount 866.931.6644 and ask for prices on:

Starter boots:

SMX-5, SMX-R, TCX Comptizone RS

Step-up boot:

SMX-Plus, Supertech R

I had a pair of the SMX-R's too. They fit well, but were awkward on my ankles. Felt a bit off... Went over to the Pony to look at new boots for my trackday. Looked at the Sidis, and the new A-stars, and actually ended up with a new pair of AXOs. Got the white ones, so I can dress up as a Stormtrooper for Halloween too.:wtf:

I bought a pair of the new A* S-MX 5's. Wore them for the first time during a track day. I absolutely love em.

I looked at Sidi first, but I have flat feet, which makes them a little wide. I also wear a size 13...so that factored into my decision to go with the A* (my second pair).

I would buy another pair in a heartbeat if I had to.

Get the supertech R!

ALSO Iron Pony carries about 1/2 of the styles.... Like they do not have these, I went to try them on there, as they fit a little different and they dont carry them.

Same with some of the Sidi and TCX versions.

Supertech R's are by far the most recommended if you read through Wera, talk to riders, TJ, etc. Im ordering mine(yes dubguy finally) from TJ end of this month for an early Christmas present, or wait I will have my GF get them....

I tried on Andy's and Nick's and they are by far the best in bracing I tried on. I did try Sidi(I wear them now), TCX, and Astars and they were the best.