XR600 oil question

magifesq

1985 XR600 manual says to fill frame reservior per dipstick, and fill engine cases with oil up to the oil check bolt... I don't see any filler caps on the engine cases or covers to do this... anyone else ever own one of these? Do you just overfill the frame reservoir and let the oil slowly fill the cases until it reaches the check bolt?

Really? Must be an XR thing I guess? All of the old 70's & 80's dirtbikes I'd owned, all had filler caps towards the top of the clutch cover -- except for an oil injected 2 stroke that used a plug on top of the right case half behind the cylinder. Did u try a search engine to find an answer?

• 11 months later...

It's a dry sump oiled motor. One side of the oil pump draws oil from the frame and feeds the motor. The other side of the oil pump evacuates the sump oil up into the frame.

The side bolt oil check is to verify the evacuation process. Cracking open the oil pipe bolt up near the head is to verify the oiling process.

If the oil is near the check bolt, and not above, the evacuation is working. If the oil squirts out the upper banjo bolt area, the oiling process is working.

My oil change consists of one quart into the head and one quart into the frame. Add some shop air to the fill opening in the frame when kicking over, to prime the pump. Then start the bike.

And ...

I'm sure there's 6 year old threads out there without a single additional post.

Someone help Casper find a motor for his Maxim 650!

:dunno: Just sayin'.....hopefully by now he figured out the issue - no junkpunt intended :rolleyes: