Scrap Aluminum - Wheels

jester3681

Hey guys, I spent two years recycling cars, so I'm kind of ashamed to even ask this - where to people take scrap aluminum in Columbus to get some cash? I have some wheels that will probably be easier to scrap than to mess around on eBay with.

I know of Ace Iron & Metal on Groveport Road, but to call them crooks would be giving them too much credit. :nono:

I dealt with IHS a good deal when I was working salvage - I think they have a location on Joyce Avenue and I know they have one on Parsons Avenue.

Thoughs? I have like four Virgago/XJ wheels and a bent TLR wheel, total weight I'd think is 60+ pounds. I used to get $15 a wheel salvage for car wheels... it's been years since I've pinged scrap prices though.

I took 1 damaged aluminum truck wheel 17x8 and a couple scrap 2 stroke engine cases into our local scrap yard earlier this year - total cash value was like $36 so I'd assume you would probably be in that ballpark

The guys at work tell me Edison on Joyce or Ace on Groveport have decent prices for scrap.

I'm sort of the opinion that they all are bogus to deal with.

I'm about to scrap two cars, the scrap value is high. Maybe three if the old Jeep won't start.

I might just go with where ever the tow driver thinks is best.

edit: I was told to call and get a quote based on year and model of vehicle.

Guess I'll call and see who's highest in scrap price.

do what everyone else does...open a phone book and call around for the place with the highest price. some places always try to get away with lowballing everyone with their price below the going rate for that day. I called a place that told me a 40 cents a pound and another said 65. it pays to call around.

The guys at work tell me Edison on Joyce or Ace on Groveport have decent prices for scrap.

I'm sort of the opinion that they all are bogus to deal with.

I'm about to scrap two cars, the scrap value is high. Maybe three if the old Jeep won't start.

I might just go with where ever the tow driver thinks is best.

edit: I was told to call and get a quote based on year and model of vehicle.

Guess I'll call and see who's highest in scrap price.

Sometimes you get more by stripping. The converts are worth more if off the car. Also all the copper can be stripped for a higher value... the more you sort the more you can get.