98 intruder 800 vs 09 ninja ex250r

snot

I currently ride the intruder but have an opportunity to buy a 09 ex250r (will have to lower). I am 5 ft tall and seam to have a few issues with my bike I can touch the ground but I have issues reaching the controls (no adjustment) and the over all weight of the bike. I wear out fast on long rides or when I have to stop a lot.

What do you think?

The Ninja250R is an awesome little bike. I'm not really sure you'd have to lower it' date=' though. My wife is 4'10", and we actually raised the rear of her Ninja250 when she had it.

YMMV.

(btw, if I had the choice between the two, I'd take the Ninja)[/quote']

I sat on it today and I was on my toes...

I did take the safety course but it was a crf230 we were on and I could barely touch then too... not to mention the road conditions were near perfect no hills....haha. its when I start moving again that's when I have an issue. I think a lowering kit would make me feel a little more in control of the bike.

If you were to place your feet where you were taught to' date=' the hills would be less burdensome. Use the rear brake to hold the bike until you get the motorcycle's engine beyond the clutch's friction zone.[/quote']

Snot's my wife and she's still working on the fundamentals with clutching from an inclined stop - the Intruder was a bit of an impulse buy as its been in her family since new and she needed "something" to keep working her skills and her Dad was offering her dibs on it.....really sweet bike and in stellar shape with tons of add-ons so we didnt want to pass it up -- I'd considered swapping the hydro brake and clutch systems out with adjustable sportbike setups but the weight would still be an issue for a learner and no feasable way I can strip 200lbs off this bike and it stay safe to ride.

Ninja 250R. Ducati Monster. Buell XB9S. Honda CBR250R.

I'm a Kaw fan and I dont want my Ninja trying to make lil mixed breed pups in the garage when I'm not around......so we'll stick with the same breed Thankyou :D

You should see how funny I look trying to touch the ground. The salesman didn't even push the issue.

He probably didnt say anything since my big' date=' mean, ogre ass was standing there and he looked as if he hadnt eaten since last fall.......poor guy.......or maybe starvation is a sales tactic for gettin' sympathy buys? ;)

Found these same kits when we got home earlier today and she'll definitely need one, my wife's maybe 5ft but short legged, so if your wife's 4'10" and u jacked her bike up, her legs must be longer or something - when my little snot sat on the bike, didnt sag much and the rear spring adjuster is as soft as possible without grinding another 1/2" out of it - pretty sure its gonna be lowering kit bound......I want her comfortable on the bike, so if tiptoes aren't comfy then we'll drop the bike a couple inches. Told her to post up here for more opinions even though we both kind of knew which was the better ride for her to have - thanx for all the input and hope there's more validations coming :D

My wife can't plant both feet on the ground on her bike, and she does just fine. It just takes practice. I'm not a fan of lowering bikes, it changes how the bike handles too much, imo. You could try wearing boots with a thicker sole first. It is funny to see her test ride tall bikes at her shop, and seeing her have to hop off the seat to put one foot down.

My wife can't plant both feet on the ground on her bike, and she does just fine. It just takes practice. I'm not a fan of lowering bikes, it changes how the bike handles too much, imo. You could try wearing boots with a thicker sole first. It is funny to see her test ride tall bikes at her shop, and seeing her have to hop off the seat to put one foot down.

And her FJR isn't exactly small!

Buell XB12Scg. Pretty sure cg = closer to ground. My friend is maybe 5'1" and that what she had

CG = Center of Gravity.

There was also an XB9SL (low). Exact same dimensions as the XB12Scg just a bit lighter. I beleive it was just made in 2003. You can also look at a Honda Nighthawk 250. Or listen to IP...right foot on the peg, left foot on the ground.

Interesting. I didn't take the course. This is opposite of what I do, though. At a stop, my left foot stays on the peg, right foot on the ground, and I use the front brake (if needed). I have the bike in neutral, hand off the clutch. Seems like the MSF way would add some time to your ride-away.

. Did you take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation rider course? If you did' date=' you'd remember that you should only have your left foot on the ground when you're stopped, anyway. Your right foot should be pressing on the rear brake lever.[/quote']

If you are okay with lowering a Ninja 250 and are okay with the power one puts out I would suggest a scooter for an alternative. We went the Ninja 250 route and I enjoyed it but she didn't. She rides the scooter without issue and is confident in what she is doing. A scooter takes away most of the new rider overload with the clutch and gear changes taken out of the equation. The 250 scooter we have will keep up with a Ninja 250 and handle so close to its capabilities that we gave up nothing.

I understand that you are a Kawi fan but if you are too cool for a scooter I would suggest taking a serious look at the Honda 250. It is easier to adjust the ride height and will not affect the handling as much as it will the Ninja.

Been riding for a year now, I do fine with the controls. the biggest issue I have with it is the weight of the bike and the reach to the levers. The other issue is the rear brake ( I use it ) it needs adjusted due to it has a lot of travel. I do prefer a bike I will keep the intruder till I find something I can ride more comfortable (longer rides). It just doesn't fit well, 250 felt good with the exception of feet on the ground.

We only raised the Ninja because we swapped the rear shock for one from an EX500. If it weren't for that mod' date=' we wouldn't have messed with the ride height at all.

Inclines are scary for newvs, but teaching her the proper fundamentals is better than handicapping her with band-aids. I guess lowering is alright, so long as you don't use it as an alternative to proper foot placement.

I also don't think the MSF folks are always right, but in the instance of taking off from a hill stop...they are. Left foot down. Right foot on the brake. Her legs aren't strong enough to even hold a Ninja250 without assistance from the rear brake.

I hope your wife didn't take my posts as anything more than an encouragement to learn how to do it right from the beginning. I just believe that 'short-cutting' doesn't promote proper riding technique. It wasn't meant in any other way.[/quote']

I see, didn't realize you'd changed out the rear shock so that would probably play a part in ride height -- the MSF instructors had all the students always putting both feet down from what I saw there ( I took the advanced course the same weekend ) but her and I haven't focused on inclined starts as there's really none to speak of where I'm leading her, but with her on the little Ninja, that will definitely be a focal point next season or maybe a little bit before the end of this year -- we've only had her riding basically "some" this season here and there, we started out tandemed up on her bike to ride over to Miami Valley Centre Mall so I could get her used to starts/stops, shifting, turning, clutching, etc. in and empty parking lot -- and after a few episodes of that she started following me on some local country roads to alleviate major traffic stresses for her -- I truly think the 250R is a better learning platform for a little lady as it's considerably lighter, better control positioning/adjustments for little feet and hands ( she's so cute ;)) as well as way better handling.

And no worries about your comments, I've filled her in on you and your antics!! :D:D:D

My little snot would rather have both feet plant firmly at a stop, so we'll take the bike down a couple inches for a while - then once she's more comfortable with balance and clutch/throttle control, we have the option of raising it back up -- she had on Sketcher Shape-ups ( big puffy soles ) when sitting on the bike so the only other option for thicker soled footwear would have to be a pair of Gene Simmons metal-head platform boots! ;)

If she'd just gain 80 pounds the bike would drop when she sits on it!! :lol:

IP- no harm I respect your honesty. I knew what I was getting into when I posted the thread... also the parking lot was last season (at the end this season) has been all road riding...not like it matters

Edited by snot

If you are okay with lowering a Ninja 250 and are okay with the power one puts out I would suggest a scooter for an alternative. We went the Ninja 250 route and I enjoyed it but she didn't. She rides the scooter without issue and is confident in what she is doing. A scooter takes away most of the new rider overload with the clutch and gear changes taken out of the equation. The 250 scooter we have will keep up with a Ninja 250 and handle so close to its capabilities that we gave up nothing.

I understand that you are a Kawi fan but if you are too cool for a scooter I would suggest taking a serious look at the Honda 250. It is easier to adjust the ride height and will not affect the handling as much as it will the Ninja.

Not "too cool" for scooters, but getting HER to want one is a whole 'nuther ballgame :lol: I won't try and fight that battle!! :D Originally, I wanted to buy her a little TTR125 from a friend to teach her the basics in the dirt like I'd learned as a kid -- but she's not a fan of dirtbikes or trailriding ( :( damnit ) so that wasn't happening. She's good to go once we get rolling, and no problems with missed shifts or over rev'ing the bike -- she's doing better now than the beginning of the year -- I'd looked at CBR250's too but they're a thou$and more than we can get the Ninja 250 for and more than what we've budgeted