Lions & Tigers & Bears....

SWing'R

Oh my! :moose::monkey::SecretSquirrel:

(sorry, we didn't have any lions and bears)

From ABC6...

Muskingum Co. Sheriff reports escaped exotic animals on the loose in area of Kopchak & 40;

report of lion and/or bear on the loose; Stay tuned for update!

I'm assuming they got loose from "The Wilds". Edited by SWing'R

WHIZ-TV in Zanesville said that initial reports indicated that a bear, tiger, and multiple lions had escaped from their owner on Kopchak Road and were roaming near Interstate 70 by U.S. 40.

WHIZ-TV also stated deputies had to shoot a wolf that they believe came from the same property.

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2011/oct/18/lions-tiger-and-bear-loose-muskingum-county-ar-792445/

The owner (Terry Thompson) was found dead outside his house and all the animal cages were unsecure. I have met this guy many times and was amazed by this animal collection and his way with animals. This guy owned tons of land on the right hand side of 70 as you come into Zanesville. He owned many cars, boats , planes, animals and guns. Seemed like a very nice guy everytime I was around him, sad to see him pass away, its hard to ever know what goes wrong with people when things like this happen

They are trying to catch what they can but when the faster more dangerous animals first escaped they needed to be shot. Cant have lions tigers and bears in the streets of Zanesville. I think it took some time to get the dart guns from the wilds and the columbus zoo

why not take the animals to a zoo? makes no sense to just go on a shooting rampage

+1...not the animals fault, that's pretty shitty if they go around shooting them. The news report said that they have shot 25 animals so far and that 48 more are suspected loose.:nono:

+1...not the animals fault, that's pretty shitty if they go around shooting them. The news report said that they have shot 25 animals so far and that 48 more are suspected loose.:nono:

I'm more inclined to get mad at the fucktard who was keeping them in a "private collection" than the police personnel who are

1) doing their best to protect & serve (i.e. their JOB)

2) are not trained or equipped (and shouldn't fucking have to be) to deal with these types of animals

and 3) are being pulled away from real, actual, human crimes while they play zoo keeper.

Catch what you can, because it's not the animals' fault, but they better be charging this jerkoff's estate for every dart, bullet, and overtime check Zanesville is writing tonight.

I'm more inclined to get mad at the fucktard who was keeping them in a "private collection" than the police personnel who are

1) doing their best to protect & serve (i.e. their JOB)

2) are not trained or equipped (and shouldn't fucking have to be) to deal with these types of animals

and 3) are being pulled away from real, actual, human crimes while they play zoo keeper.

Catch what you can, because it's not the animals' fault, but they better be charging this jerkoff's estate for every dart, bullet, and overtime check Zanesville is writing tonight.

it says it was an animal rescue - it also says the guy was dead and the animals were set free....sounds like it wasnt the owners fault, sounds like some damn PETA wackjob wannabe killed the guy and let them "free" :rolleyes:

Kinda what I was thinking.

And the problem with a predator animal like the kinds they are dealing with is if they fed on the dead guy they might possibly assume food when they see a human now. Thats the only reason I see transferring them to a zoo or another rescue.

it says it was an animal rescue - it also says the guy was dead and the animals were set free....sounds like it wasnt the owners fault, sounds like some damn PETA wackjob wannabe killed the guy and let them "free" :rolleyes:

I'm skeptical as to what he was "rescuing" Lions from, other than other people who were dumb enough to buy cubs as pets. Even if that's the case, there are more suitable facilities; ones that aren't right up against major highways, and in residential communities.

Places like zoos, with multiple gates, and multiple staff members in the event of an emergency.

If there was foul play involved, that sucks, but it doesn't excuse the inherent risky behavior of keeping dangerous wild animals in a facility that's not fortified enough to hold them.

I assumed he released the animals and committed suicide.

if he was murdered, then that sucks, but I stand by the irresponsibility of it all. If the animals had been in a proper facility, this wouldn't have happened; at least not NEARLY as easily.

Edited by kawi kid

I heard that the owner had been in prison recently, and that he wasn't the most stable individual. This IS just hearsay though.

his criminal list is a mile long ....the article shows he was in prison for having a bunch of illegal guns (unregistered full autos and short barrels)

also says he has had a bunch of investigations of his property and animal cruelty charges etc but nothing stuck

I assumed he released the animals and committed suicide.

if he was murdered, then that sucks, but I stand by the irresponsibility of it all. If the animals had been in a proper facility, this wouldn't have happened; at least not NEARLY as easily.

i didnt think about releasing them and offing himself - i definitely see this as something that could happen

and i wont argue about his facility - the article says he was investigated for animal cruelty and poor living conditions for animals etc, so im sure they would have been better off in a proper place anyways

but i didnt know the guy and never saw his place, and as far as i could tell none of the charges stuck on him for animal cruelty - so i wont say for certain i know, just pointing out what the news article said