Lost my job today, anyone hiring?

pittsm

If you like I can scan my paycheck when we get home. My wife and I are on a dedicated run. We run 6,770 miles a week and make 29.02 cpm each. You can do the math, now only figure 50 weeks as we get two weeks vacation at $850 a week.

The other run we ran was 5,218 miles per week but paid 30.02 cpm each.

Fyi we don't split the miles either.

My old man ran for eagle and made over $70,000 most years.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

god I hope his student loans are paid off. if not I'm sure he's hating paying for them with a 28k/yr job

I was making close to that my first year as a bus driver. He has been their close to 10 years. I wouldn't worry about his student loans as much as I would worry about his bar tab. I think he finish the winking lizard beer tour in 2 months.

Mc Donald's but you have to have a technical degree in culinary arts. lol and get $7.35/hr and it's only that high because the government said it has to be...

total sarcasm but you're seriously going to encounter places like this these days. they're seriously being over picky because they can.

all joking aside, look at craigslist. here in cincy its been booming with ads all summer and it's still booming. it's a ghost town on monster jobs and career builder.

Edited by serpentracer

If you like I can scan my paycheck when we get home. My wife and I are on a dedicated run. We run 6,770 miles a week and make 29.02 cpm each. You can do the math, now only figure 50 weeks as we get two weeks vacation at $850 a week.

You run 6770 miles a week? each? Together?

If you drive 5 days a week, that's 1354 miles a day. Driving at 60 mph, that's 22.5 hours of driving. So THAT can't be right. Even if that's a total for both of you, does that mean you each drive for 11 hours a day? Or you drive 80 instead of 60? Or you drive 7 days a week instead of 5?

Sorry, I'm just having a little trouble making the #'s add up... where am I going wrong? I didn't think truck drivers made so much, that's why I ran the numbers you gave me.

Thanks,

-- josh

It's drop and hook freight. Sometimes it'd 5 date and s few hours, but yes we basically run 6,770 total in roughly 5 days. I drive 11 hrs a dat the wife does a little more. The truck moves 23 hrs a day. The first half is aprox 671 miles the second is aprox 690, but the run pays 6770. Did I mention I'm an ltl driver, we make more than average.

Edited by crb

It's drop and hook freight. Sometimes it'd 5 date and s few hours, but yes we basically run 6,770 total in roughly 5 days. I drive 11 hrs a dat the wife does a little more. The truck moves 23 hrs a day. The first half is aprox 671 miles the second is aprox 690, but the run pays 6770. Did I mention I'm an ltl driver, we make more than average.

So the TWO of you make 75K/year, not each. And you both work your asses off to do it.

Thank you, my vision of the status quo (And how much truck drivers get paid) has been restored :)

So the TWO of you make 75K/year, not each. And you both work your asses off to do it.

Thank you, my vision of the status quo (And how much truck drivers get paid) has been restored :)

Not so fast. (I don't think). His post above says each/per driver

NoBama 2012

The other run we ran was 5,218 miles per week but paid 30.02 cpm each.

Fyi we don't split the miles either.

My old man ran for eagle and made over $70,000 most years.

6770 miles * $0.2902 each/mile * 50 weeks + $1700 = $99,932.70 each/year

Unless my math is wrong..

6770 miles * $0.2902 each/mile * 50 weeks + $1700 = $99,932.70 each/year

Unless my math is wrong..

Yes you are correct! Basically we make $0.5804 cpm X 6,770 miles per week. So combined this run would pay us $200,265.40 approx plus accessorials per year if we run it a full year. We have only been back this particular run since September this year. This year we will make just over $150,000 combined Im guessing or at least we are track to do so. And yes we are company drivers! Now at the first of the year we may lose this run to another team, we don't know. The other run we know we can get is 5,218 miles per week @ $0.6004 per mile for a grand total of approx $160,044.36 plus accessorials per year, but we get an extra half to three quarters of a day off on that run.

You are wrong 75K each this year. Please see above. We are LTL linehaul drivers, we pull doubles and hazmat and get paid very very well!

I'm assuming you pee in a bottle, do you poop in a coffee can?

If I was locked in a truck 23 hrs. a day with my wife, someone would end up dead.

I pee in a bottle if I HAVE to, but we have time we can stop, they give us 24hours to do a full turn we usually run it in 22 hrs. Sometimes we get stuck in traffic, behind an accident or such and its an option between a bottle and a tire. Poop in a can NEVER!!! Now I have had to pull along the shoulder and shit in the woods, truck stop food can tear you up. I was wrong truck moves 22 hours or just under a day unless something goes wrong. Like this week we are a little behind due to rain, accidents, construction, traffic, etc. Bad day overall. We know all the places to stop, and I usually stop once during my shift at a rest area, although sometimes more it honestly just depends. I can stop more if I need to, I just log it as off duty. Killing the wife somedays, I swear actually at this job not as bad, our last job we were out 90 plus days at a time now that is stressful on a marriage!

So what your saying is your wife drives 12 hours a day and makes you sandwiches... awesome!!

Pretty close, actually we eat on the truck almost exclusively. We eat healthy choice steam meals(i think that is what they are) for breakfast, I eat a cold microwavable bowl of chef boy r de mini ravioli for lunch, and for dinner we reheat leftovers in a lunch box cooker(like this week we have roast, potatoes, and carrots, and the other meals are home made Stromboli). I love to cook! Now on thursdays we usually eat the switch point, and some fridays we eat dinner out it just depends how we are running on our schedule.

Now getting started in truck if you run OTR(Over The Road) expect to make $35,000 to $45,000 your first year depending on what company you go to, some pay shit! There is good money to be made in trucking once you get a little time under your belt and a good record. Walmart drivers make $75k solo plus from what I hear, all LTL(Less Than Truckload) drivers make good money I know some who make solo $85k plus and home every day and most weekends, UPS parcel feeder drivers can make $100k solo, some tanker gigs pay very well, and some flat bed pays well. Union car haulers make excellent money as well as some grocery haulers, compared to OTR

Now can we get back to the OP, and help him find a job. I apologize to the OP, I did not mean to start a huge discussion and deter everyone from helping you, but obviously many people have misconceptions of trucking. If anybody want to continue the trucking discussion start a thread so we don't distract from the OP!

:backtotopic::backtotopic::backtotopic:

Edited by crb

^ let's get down to brass tacks here - how much money do you want to make, and how much do you NEED to make?

I know my position will be vacant shortly. $28k base + commission. The first year is lean, but thereafter, there's no reason you shouldn't end up with 25% raises just based on hitting low sales numbers, and 50% retention rate of existing (renewing) customers.

straight from another trucker on truckers report.com

The best I have seen is pulling over size loades that was $240,000 that year gross net was $75,000 . You buy your fuel ins truck tries oil tolls permints some truck stopes charge to park upto $50.00 per day you paid to take a shower and a lot on min on the phone and Qualcomm is not free . if you worked as many hr on a job that as you do driving a $75,000 year = less than $15.00 per hr you do not make time and 1/2 for over 40 and on a avarage you get 2 to 3 days off a month with 5 day vacation after a year . I tryed the comapny route on 2001 with USA truck I had 6 days off (at home ) in 6 months they paid but the mile I grossed a total of $16,250.52 i worked 70+ hr per week that is $8.92 per hr straight time on time and 1/2 that was before taxes and one thing you must think about where are you going to eat . A truck stop because you can not park that truck anywhere at Flying J a cheap meal cost about $12.00 to $18.00 x 3 x 7days $252.00 for 6 month = $6552.00 so how much did you make

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truck-driver-facts/

that's the kind of salaries 99% of the drivers were telling me a new driver with no experience is going to make for 2-3 years starting out.

and that's 10hrs a day you're stuck in that truck that you cannot drive. you're stuck at work without being paid....

Edited by serpentracer

If you decide to expand search and want to look in CMH(Cbus) let me know. I have connections at a lot of trucking/logistics companies from my previous job. I know I could get you on somewhere.

Consider it expanded. I'm not against working in Columbus. Pm me.

Sent from my extremely awesome captivate...