Media/Sand Blasting Help Needed

BadTrainDriver

Just asking to see if anyone local has a set-up that would be willing to help me with a small project. I don't expect the work done for free...hell, I'll even do it myself if you supervise/drink the beer I bring you.

I bought a set of 2 piston Subaru WRX brake calipers to install on my Subaru L that only has single piston calipers. More importantly, the brake rotor size goes from 10.2" to 11.4". Eventually, I'll be converting my rear drums to WRX disks, changing the master cylinder and proportioning valve...and will basically have the complete WRX braking system.

What I need help with is media/sand blasting the front calipers and caliper hangers/brackets. The brackets will be a piece of cake, just blast the whole thing. The calipers will be a little(but not much) more difficult. I already have the seals and pistons removed, and I was going to pack the bores with paper towels and tape them closed so as to not blast inside them. These items are not painted or powder coated, they're just rusted/dirty. My end plan is to paint them black with G2 caliper paint.

If anyone can help, I'd be most appreciative!

He could, but I'd kinda like to do it myself or watch someone.

The carriers will be easy, but I've got to be careful with the calipers so as to not blast in the piston bores. I'm going to pack the bores, and tape them as best as I can.

I'm sure Fred could do it...I'd just feel better doing it myself/watching it done. That's all.

If you have a small air compressor check this kit out - I have just a media gun with a little hopper on top, and it did a bike frame pretty well using just a 1 gallon pancake compressor.....simple to do, took me 10 minutes in the driveway....and fairly inexpensive - plus you'd have it next time you're in need

http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-abrasive-blaster-kit-37025.html

dude sorry i havent gotten back to ya.

i have been getting my ass handed to me by work, my bike situation im trying to deal with, and my project in the garage.

if you had an air compressor id tell ya to just come get the sand blaster.

but my work schedule is a bitch to try to help people out through the week

• 4 weeks later...

BadTrain. Just got to pokeys house. Set your parts between the two of you and it should be a done deal. I mean everytime that guy opens his mouth he blasts you. Those brake parts don't stand a chance! :D

He could, but I'd kinda like to do it myself or watch someone.

The carriers will be easy, but I've got to be careful with the calipers so as to not blast in the piston bores. I'm going to pack the bores, and tape them as best as I can.

I'm sure Fred could do it...I'd just feel better doing it myself/watching it done. That's all.

The bores aren't super critical. The pistons are what slide and need to be sealed against. I'm not saying blast away at the bores, but just don't lose sleep worrying how to clover them. DO make sure you get all of the blast media out of them. Soak them in water, flush with brake cleaner, do all you can to make sure the sand is out. If it floats around and gets between the pistons and seals, it could leak.

The inside diameter of the bores is every bit as critical as the outside diameter of the pistons. There should be a rubber seal in there somewhere, you want to remove that before blasting. Before you reply to this thread considered for a moment that I repair and overhaul aircraft brakes for a living and just might know what I'm talking about. Plastic blasting media probably isn't going remove enough material or deform the bores enough to cause leakage, but that bore also needs to be smooth and blasting will rough up the polish on it.

BadTrain. Just got to pokeys house. Set your parts between the two of you and it should be a done deal. I mean everytime that guy opens his mouth he blasts you. Those brake parts don't stand a chance! :D

What you talkin about.....Matt is my boy!!!!!:wtf:

• Upvote 1

The inside diameter of the bores is every bit as critical as the outside diameter of the pistons. There should be a rubber seal in there somewhere, you want to remove that before blasting. Before you reply to this thread considered for a moment that I repair and overhaul aircraft brakes for a living and just might know what I'm talking about. Plastic blasting media probably isn't going remove enough material or deform the bores enough to cause leakage, but that bore also needs to be smooth and blasting will rough up the polish on it.

Aircraft brakes are on a totally different level than car brakes! I work on cars for a living, and after seeing the crap that we get as new or remanufactured, I think a little bit of blasting in the bores would be a lot better than most of what is sold to be put on cars as replacement parts.

Aircraft brakes are on a totally different level than car brakes! I work on cars for a living, and after seeing the crap that we get as new or remanufactured, I think a little bit of blasting in the bores would be a lot better than most of what is sold to be put on cars as replacement parts.

I 2nd that! I work wth class 8 trucks, and their parts quality is expectantly between aircraft quality and car parts quality........weird how you actually get what you pay for when it comes to quality:dunno:

:D