range eval - advice?

Steve Butters

After making a trip to the range I am feeling a little better about the p2ksk, i think i may need a lot more practice though

please take a look at these pics and tell me your opinion on what i might be doing wrong to get them so erratic...the targets are either 10 or 20 rounds (one is 22)...i had a handful of shots not on paper because i flinched or jerked the gun....next trip ill use a silhouette so i can see a bit better

perhaps my goals are just set too high out of such a short barrel gun, based on my experience level? this is my first handgun, and ive got maybe 800rds through it (bought it used, so its already broken in)

im thinking instead of switching to a new gun maybe i just need to practice a little bit more.....what are your thoughts? do these groupings seem ok for a newbie or are they just completely fubar and i should accept that i just cant shoot this gun well?

i also had one failure near the end, but i believe it was mag related....MT said mag spring, mag lips, or dirty slide...so ill be ordering a new mag spring to try that first

anyways, heres the pics

7yds, DA/SA

IMG_20111021_125222.jpg

7yds, SA

IMG_20111021_125315.jpg

7yds, DA

IMG_20111021_125246.jpg

10yds, DA/SA

IMG_20111021_125205.jpg

10yds, DA

IMG_20111021_125153.jpg

Failure

IMG_20111021_114119.jpg

They are not as erratic as you might think. They are grouping either low, or to the right for the most part. I think you are flinching or anticipating the recoil. Go back to the range and have someone load your mags for you and hide a couple of snap caps in there. If you are flinching you will see it when it goes click instead of boom.

Practice dry firing it and see if you can guess exactly when that trigger is going to pull. Odds are you won't be able to do it.

Just practice a smooth trigger pull with the right grip and finger placement and keeping it consistent all the way through until you hear the click.

You can't get it spot on when you're going to fire, so the next best thing is to practice holding it steady until that point. Just keep that good sight picture on your front sight and work on your stance.

Muscle memory is going to be your best friend.

Edited by Radio Flyer

Also your failure might have been just grime related after shooting that much ammo. If the spring don't help take some lube and a rag with you next time and if it fails again give it a quick once over and see if it will cycle better.

Also your failure might have been just grime related after shooting that much ammo. If the spring don't help take some lube and a rag with you next time and if it fails again give it a quick once over and see if it will cycle better.

only had a hundred rounds through it - ive seen magazine that run these for 3-5k without cleaning and dont have a hiccup...i would hope its not that, if so ill be selling it for sure lol, dont need a lemon

i actually posted up on an HK website about it, and turns out the extractor on these is known to be an issue, and that one area needs lightly filed down....i never had these failures until after i got it refinished, so the refinish put just enough material that its messing it up now....HK covers it under warranty, but im not sure if they would fix it since it was caused by the refinish....but a member there who fixes them regularly for people told me to mail him my extractor and hes going to take care of it for me.

not sure how the extractor causes a failure to feed, but apparently it is known for it on HKs...hes fixing it free for me too

Edited by Steve Butters

Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire! The go back to the range and take Tonik and cbus advice cuz then you can also practice you stoppage drills. TAP RACK BANG.

almost bought snap caps today too - had them in my hand

i think i also need to work on target focus. i was focusing on my target more than my front sight, and i think maybe that was throwing me off also.

appreciate all the tips, i made the same post on an HK website so im getting double feedback...next range trip should be fun

Like kawi said, dry fire. Balance a quarter or nickle on the front sight. Practice pulling the trigger without knocking it off. Also be sure you take the slack out of the trigger before you fire. After you fire, only release as far as it takes for the trigger to reset, the squeeze again.

This is for righties. Lefties need to flip it.

correction.jpg

You might also want to adjust your grip. If you are tea cup holding the gun stop. meaning if you have your hand on the bottom of the gun against the mag. your grip can play a huge roll in tightening up groups. If your not already, make sure your are using the first digit of your finger only you might be using to much finger and that could be why the shots are pulling right.