Man killed in Delaware County motorcycle crash

jerben

By Jim Woods

The Columbus Dispatch Tuesday October 25, 2011 9:20 PM

A Marion man died this morning when his motorcycle crashed into the side of a trailer being pulled by a pickup near the Alum Creek Reservoir in Delaware County.

David L. Grounds, 42, died at Grant Medical Center in Columbus after he was flown there by helicopter.

Grounds was driving the motorcycle south on S. Old State Road just before 11 a.m. when he failed to stop at the stop sign for Cheshire Road and struck the side of a westbound truck and trailer, the State Highway Patrol.

Roy G. Duffey, 54, the driver of the truck, and his passenger were not hurt, the patrol said.

Grounds wore a helmet and Duffey and his passenger were wearing seat belts. The patrol is still investigating.

Too close to home. I ride through that intersection at least 2-3 times a day.

What's more sobering is that the EMS station is on that corner. His injuries must have been so bad that getting EMS on scene in under a minute was not enough to save him.

There is a cross on that corner (with fresh flowers on a regular basis, and recently painted) for a lady who was the passenger in an eastbound minivan that was t-boned by a driver of a big diesel dually pickup towing a boat northbound while not having a current valid license. Pickup driver was "distracted by a boat in a driveway" and never even saw the stop sign.

Needs to be a red light there. Or a roundabout.

A little further east down Cheshire at "3 B's & K Road" (yes, that's the name!) there is another stop-sign intersection, but cheshire has no stop - fatal accident there last month too. Someone just didn't see the stop sign.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=cheshire+road+%40+lackey+old+state+road,+ohio&hl=en&ll=40.23935,-82.987289&spn=0.00502,0.011319&sll=40.280917,-83.111143&sspn=0.010035,0.022638&vpsrc=6&hq=cheshire+road+%40+lackey+old&hnear=State+Rd,+Ostrander,+Union,+Ohio+43061&t=h&z=17

Edited by Scruit

RIP rider, and from the sounds of it with several accidents there d/t failure to see the sign, may be a good time to install some of the solar flashing stop signs.

Cheshire @ 3B's has solar flashing signs warning of stop sign ahead. The 4-way at Old State doesn't, I don't believe. I'll check tonight on my way home. Southbound, you can see the intersection from at least a quart-mile away and there ar normal 'warning, stop ahead" signs leading up to the stop. Big red stops signs both sides too. Can't miss them. How can you miss them??

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=cheshire+road+%40+lackey+old+state+road,+ohio&hl=en&ll=40.240963,-82.987229&spn=0.000004,0.003473&sll=40.280917,-83.111143&sspn=0.010035,0.022638&vpsrc=6&hq=cheshire+road+%40+lackey+old&hnear=State+Rd,+Ostrander,+Union,+Ohio+43061&t=h&layer=c&cbll=40.240963,-82.987229&panoid=Wa5dxVsEYWySBQyn3luRIQ&cbp=12,199.67,,2,2.25&z=19

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=cheshire+road+%40+lackey+old+state+road,+ohio&hl=en&ll=40.2398,-82.987268&spn=0.000016,0.013894&sll=40.280917,-83.111143&sspn=0.010035,0.022638&vpsrc=0&hq=cheshire+road+%40+lackey+old&hnear=State+Rd,+Ostrander,+Union,+Ohio+43061&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=40.239482,-82.987257&panoid=Pbuxps5ZVZU-Gn8MKIfyXQ&cbp=12,180.84,,0,-4.87

Edited by Scruit

Cheshire @ 3B's has solar flashing signs warning of stop sign ahead. The 4-way at Old State doesn't, I don't believe. I'll check tonight on my way home. Southbound, you can see the intersection from at least a quart-mile away and there ar normal 'warning, stop ahead" signs leading up to the stop. Big red stops signs both sides too. Can't miss them. How can you miss them??

I don't know how people can miss them, but I don't know if a traffic light is more effective than flashing stop signs, and i'd bet flashing signs are cheaper. Do you happen to know if there are any studies on the effectiveness of flashing signs vs. traffic lights with respect to compliance? I'm just curious now.

That sun in the second pic above may or may not have had something to do with it.

Gotta pay attention, folks.

R.I.P.

That is about an 11am low winter sun. At the time of the accident the sun would only have been up for an hour and a half so would further to the left.