Buck Down!!

flounder

So last weekend I had planned to deer hunt all weekend in the hopes to get something to put in the freezer. Let me preface this by saying, I dont really care about rack size since Im in it for the meat. That means I will shoot the first decent sized deer I see.

I wasn’t in the stand more than 1 hr on Fri night when this guy came in. It was a 36 yard broadside shot. When I released, he turned towards me and the shot hit farther back just behind the liver and caught the guts. He turned so quick that the arrow actually exited the opposite hip right in the crook before the hind leg. He did a quick 360 like a dog chasing his tail. Since I knew it was a gut shot, I backed out till morning in order not to push him hoping he would bed down and die. In the morning I got up and hunted from 6-10am then got changed and started looking for him. Not 1 drop of blood and yet I tracked him and there he was 50 yards away in thick bush. I’m guessing he weighed about 160 dressed out. I know I only could drag him about 20 yards before having to stop and rest because he was heavy. He’s a 7pt fyi.

imagejpeg_2_19v2.jpg

imagejpeg_2_21v2.jpg

• Upvote 1

nice button buck :lol:

You obviously missed the point about me shooting for food. I really dont care about the rack. And FYI, I actually did shoot a button buck a few years ago. Like I said, food..

If you need an animal with a big rack, feel free to check out the Kudu and Impala I shot in South Africa back in August.

Edited by flounder

Nice kill, and nice bow!! That a Mathews? Either way, looks like a serious investment piece -- I'd like 2lbs of venison jerky when its ready please!!!

I havent made any jerky. I dont have a machine. I make allot of burger and may try some sausage this year as well.

Looks good, but dang only one hour in and you got a hit.

I am starting a bit smaller, trying for a fall turkey. No luck Staurday on my first attempt this year. I went zero for 5 attempts last fall. Next go round, I'll try for turkey in the spring when they are more active.

Looks good, but dang only one hour in and you got a hit.

I am starting a bit smaller, trying for a fall turkey. No luck Staurday on my first attempt this year. I went zero for 5 attempts last fall. Next go round, I'll try for turkey in the spring when they are more active.

I had 6 turkeys walk by me on sat afternoon around 5pm.

I wondered cuz when we issue a license or tag it takes forever. It used to be so easy. Swipe persons driver license and hit about 5 buttons now its a ten min ordeal. I was hoping tag in was different.

Yup, looking at my call log, it took almost 8 min to tag it in over the phone.

Tag in online is pretty easy, I did it two Saturdays ago and i took me maybe 5 min. You can also just print your land owner tag online if you are going that route. IMO it was much easier than having to go to Gander or somewhere else. 8 min is a lot less time than it would take to drive to store and check unless you happen to live next to one or there is one on your way home.

Edited by bowdog

I havent made any jerky. I dont have a machine. I make allot of burger and may try some sausage this year as well.

dont need one... you can do it in the oven.

...I've got to do it or I will let my fellow brethern down.

You want to ditch that "M" style waffle iron bow and get something that will get there quick enough he wont turn on you. :lol:

My buddy was wondering if you had to put a stamp on that arrow for 36 yds.

J/K

Edited by Beegreenstrings