who has heated gear?

Hoblick

what brand are you using

why is one brand better than the other

would just a heated vest do me good? or should i look into a jacket liner?

my thought is keeping your core warm will keep the rest of you warm.

heated gloves... get them? or not necessary?

id really like to extend my riding season, and i have been wanting some heated gear for a while. but just couldnt bring myself to pull the trigger yet.

i hear once you get heated gear, you never look back.

I've never had a full heated liner, or heated gloves, but I've had 3 different heated vests, and this is the best one I've ever owned. The "air bladder" system makes a HUGE difference!!

Expensive, yes...but you get what you pay for.

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-suits/kanetsu-electrics/aerostich-kanetsu-airvantage-electric-vest.html

I have no heated gear but took up riding with an old snowboard jacket over my gear. That and some old ski gloves with a leather palm. I was riding on 71 from Medina to Cleveland just last night in 41deg air at 70mph, and was pretty comfy. I have no fairings and no windshield on my SV, so I face all the wind.

I have a pair of dirtbike handguards I need to reinstall too. They make a big difference.

For pants, I have armored cordura pants that I wear over jeans, but could fit much more insulation in if need be.

I'm only mentioning this as an alternative. I don't have the cash for heated gear so I make due with what I have. The biggest thing is blocking the wind, after that you're good.

I'm on the motorcycle all year and do Iron Butt rides, so I plunked the change on the Gerbing's gear when I moved to Ohio. I have the jacket liner, Xtreme Element pants, and heated gloves. I'm usually good with the jacket liner and gloves down to 35° and then add the pants when it drops lower or if I'm riding to work (nearly 30 miles). I did it for prolonged comfort when riding - I know I can do without but it makes the ride feel a lot more "normal."

If you're not planning to make this an everyday thing, you don't need the heated gear. It's definitely a benefit, though. My big key is blocking the wind and covering up any exposed skin. As long as your core is warm, the cold is a lot more manageable.

Being an avid outdoorsman and riding deep into the winter months here's what I know:

Cold feet and hands are the worst thing in the world.

Throw on one extra layer than you think you need. You can always take it off later.

Even with a liner, air rushing into my jacket ruined the ride.

Get a set of heated gauntlet, style gloves. Make sure they're long enough to stay over your jacket cuff when you're leaned over on the bike. Also get a bacalava, one with enough material to tuck deep into your jacket.

Under armor cold weather gear is a good idea (make sure it's non-compression or it gets uncomfortable) as well.

Campmor.com always has great deals on base layers and socks.

My buddy has a set of rechargeable, battery powered heated gloves. He swears by them. Added bonus: you don't need to mess with your bike's wiring at all!

one of my big things is, i want to limit my layers. i hate layering up, i hate the restricted movement.

im thinking heated vest / jacket liner and gloves should do wonders

i like the battery powered stuff, but i hate the idea of having to charge them all the time, and then what if im out on a long ride and the batteries died.. that would suck

I'm just about at the maximum of layers now, but my torso stays warm. My legs could use some over pants and I'll be set. But with no heated gear, I wear boxers, t shirt tucked into gym shorts, flannel shirt tucked into jeans, thick hoody with balaclava tucked under, then my riding jacket and gloves. The "fly aurora" gloves insulate rather awesomely. My heated frame keeps my knees from falling off, but they take a while to feel normal after a half hour highway jaunt in the 30s.

I ride with a Tourmaster Synergy liner and heated grips, between the two I'm very comfortable down to the teens (my legs seldom get cold, especially if my core is warm).

I wouldn't dream of owning a bike without heated gear, it lets me enjoy the bike year round, instead of sitting and looking at it depreciate all fucking winter.

Winter riding rocks, nothing like bug-free, bike-free roads and the strange looks at the gas station from people who can't imagine you're warmer than they are.

one of my big things is, i want to limit my layers. i hate layering up, i hate the restricted movement.

im thinking heated vest / jacket liner and gloves should do wonders

i like the battery powered stuff, but i hate the idea of having to charge them all the time, and then what if im out on a long ride and the batteries died.. that would suck

For me, the big thing is restricting the wind. As long as I don't have wind rushing into my jacket and pants I'm not really cold.

I think you'll be good with heated gloves and a liner, provided you can keep the wind out.

Also, Carhart is another good investment for winter riding.

I have a Gerbings heated liner and First Gear WarmNSafe gloves. I will never go back to not having them! The jacket liner not only heats front and back, but also your arms, and it has a heated collar. You just pull the collar up and zip it all the way and your neck is nice and warm, too.

For my lower half I usually can just wear jeans and overpants. If it is that cold, I also wear thermal underwear.

Gore Tex lined boots keep my feet warm with no further layers needed other than normal socks.

Everyone I know that has heated gear sports Gerbings. Currently I just layer up. Which made this weekends trip kind of frustrating. Specifically because I couldn't enjoy the roads as much because I felt tight and restricted. Anyways the gloves and liners I've seen are nice quality and seem to work good for the guys I know that have them.

Well you already seen how I ride with my boots on my handlebars.:rolleyes:

I've never used heated gear, well except for some battery heated socks I tried but didn't like. Heated grips with ATV mitts have always been the ticket for me. Make sure you get the thermostat for you're heated vest, gloves, pants and socks because you'll cook if you can't turn it down.;)

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the Gerbing heated jacket. The thing is great. I do prefer it to the heated vest, because even on the big Beemer, with its fairing and tall shield, there's cold air rushing over my shoulders and upper arms. On cold days those are trouble spots. The jacket makes everything more comfortable.

I have taken long rides-- 7 hours plus-- in sub 40F temperatures with no heating, just layering. It's doable for me, for sure. It's much more comfortable with the electric gear, though.

The Beemer's got 12v DC outlets, and I prefer to use those rather than to connect the jacket directly to the battery via the cradle. I don't have to open the seat up to plug in, for one thing. No current will be drained, either, if I leave the jacket plugged in with the bike off.

I would suggest plunking down extra for a dual controller. For one thing, the cradle that comes with the jacket has no graduated setting. It's on or it's off. For another, the dual controller would allow you and your passenger to have independent temperature controls.

http://heatedclothingoutlet.com/index.shtml I have a Gerbings jacket liner.Worth the price of addmission.Can't speak for the link but they have some stuff listed cheap.Mine is probably 10 years old and still works great.Do get the thermostat.It will get quite hot and you will be turning it on and off all the time.