Newest addition (22LR)

shadyone

So I acquired a Remington 522 Viper this weekend. It has a Tasco pronghorn 4x32 scope mounted on it. I say acquire because I got it for the FREE. My father actually bought it for my brother and I about 15 years ago. A little background on the subject.. I went on my first squirrel shooting at expedition the weekend before that with a borrowed gun, Remington 597. Needless to say having never shot it I was very unsuccessful. Did see and shoot AT lots of squirrel though. I knew my dad had this gun and also a Ruger 10/22 that's tricked out with about $900 in extras. I went asking about it to see if I could just borrow it to get familiar with it for my next squirrel hunt. His reply was "You can have it! get that POS out of my cabinet its just taking up space anyway." So I took it to the Range today to dial it in. In Vandalia they have a 100 yard rifle range and an adjustable up to 25 yards for pistol/small caliber rifles. I shot at the 100 yard range first. Ten shots. 4 on paper scattered and 2 just off, not sure about the other 4 shots. so I migrated into the 25Yard range. I would have liked 50 yards but o well. so at 25 yards I was just left of bullseye and a little high. By the end I was doing less than 1" 5-shot groups just above the bullseye. I didn't lower because I wanna be on at 50yards and decided I would be closer leaving the altitude the way it was. I used American Eagle high velocity rounds. seemed to really like them to I didn't try the federals or remington thunders or CCIs i brought along.

I had heard a lot of bad reviews about this Rifle but didn't care because it was FREE. It is more than accurate enough for my uses and I'm very happy with it. sorry to be long winded but I'm excited that it didn't have any problems.

I dont really remember that one. I had a Remington Nylon 66 as a kid. Shot everything with that little monster. Could not jam it and could not even tell you how to take it apart to clean it. I (doubt it) bet I fed a million rounds through that thing.

There was a model right after it that was also called a viper. Took a mag just like that one does. But, it still looked like a nylon 66. I was thinking they called them nylon 77's

one mans junk is another mans treasure! I had been a pistol guy before but this little bugger has swayed me into the long range genre. Id love to pick up a... gasp... 17hmr and a .223/5.56 but they get expensive in a hurry when you start looking at scopes to be able to use the power of a 223 for example.

After a little though and research I think I might try to find a inexpensive adjustable scope to replace the tasco 4x32. Not that there is anything wrong with the Tasco but Id like to have some ability to reach out I think with my 4x32 im limited to about 50 yards. id like to be able to go out to 75 or even 100 if the shot opens itself up to it. I think that the rifle can do it if I had the scoping power. any thoughts or suggestions?

Right now im looking at ones for under $100 mainly the CenterPoint Illuminated 4-16x40mm Scope or the Tasco World Class 4-16 x 40 Scope. The Tasco I have now seems to have clear glass and has held essentially Zero for at least 2 years, with limited shooting. For this reason Im leaning towards the Tasco. Still open for suggestions. remember IM NEW at this.. haha

Anyone have some ground hogs they want rid of?

YES

Got a little bastard across the street! Hides between my house and the neighbors house. Cant get a clean shot with him. I am pondering setting my bow back up with the target site and sending a couple at via airmail at 70 meters...

Little chit must have learned not to stroll out in the open. All his buddies got waxed out in the open. :D

3x9 is suffice. I have seen guys with really high end optics shooting the 1000 with a 10x scope on. I use a 6.5x24 on my AR and my 22 I use a 3x9. There is talk of a 22 Cal course next year at thunder valley and it will be out to 300 yards possibly. A 3x9 would be just fine for something like that.

I guess I should say I use a scope that size on my AR because I shoot better if I can pick out a very small part of my target. Like on steel targets I like to pick out a bullet mark that is already on the plate. It makes me focus more on my breathing and follow thru after the shot.

Edited by kawi kid