questions for those who have done CCW course

redkow97

how much did you pay?

what firearm did you use?

My parents asked what I want for Christmas. I'm thinking "CCW class." is something they can buy me that i'll actually use.

Would I be okay using a Ruger single-six for the class? It's really accurate, cheep to shoot, and I'm comfortable with it. Don't own any handguns (the six is my grandfather's), and renting one for a day seems like a waste of money to me...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was taught by an attorney/national NRA Board Member, $100 (iirc). Since he wrote or helped write most of Ohio's CHL laws, he knows of what he speaks.

Used an XD9, Service model.

You could use a revolver, but you'd be reloading an awful lot. Not a deal breaker in my book.

I paid $65,IIRC, for the course. Then another $67.50 to the Sherrifs Dept to get you actual permit. Mine was a bring your own gun. Someone had a .22 revolver. The range portion is really to cover safe handling and such. Not so much on accuracy.

I have not taken mine yet (at school all the time, so I can't carry anyway) but I have looking into it a lot. There are plenty of ~$100 up here in NEO, but there is a $70 one that has a one a month class. I don't remember who does it, but I know I found it here (calender of a couple places and what they charge).

I never think renting a gun is a waste because it allows to me try different firearms and find out what I like and don't like. When I do go, however, I will use my Sig SP2022 because I already own it and would like to get more familiar with it. If I didn't, then I would try to rent a gun that I am actually looking to buy or borrowing it from a friend.

take the class with chief - i think it was like $65 or something, idont remember exactly....you can use a revolver no problem, and if you prefer not to just ask chief about the loaners they have since you dont own your own...just bring ammo and they have a couple you can use (or they did before)

175 at New Albany shooting range. Kind of incorporates a lot more than what most classes do. Shoot in the dark. Shoot with a light. Shoot with light/laser. Use their guns at the range. Test/Qualify with 38spl rounds out of a S&W 357 magnum.

But used, everything from a Ruger P95 to a S&W 357 magnum

My wife used a mk2 ruger. I used a 40 s&w. The only problem with the single six if in not mistaken is ot has a single action trigger. If they make you draw from a holster and fire you are gonna look like Wyatt Earp.

it is single-action, which is one of the reasons I asked.

I like it at the range, because it keeps me from just plowing through ammo at an alarming rate. That's what the 10/22 is for :D

So next question - is it pointless to consider buying a .22 pistol AS A CARRY WEAPON?

I suppose I could always start off carrying a .22, and then upgrade to something larger caliber, and just continue to train with the .22. I know a .22 lr has very little stopping power. How much better would a 22 magnum be?

For whatever reason, I really like the idea of having multiple firearms that utilize the same caliber though. And cheap ammo is super appealing. Am I talking myself into a 9mm pistol?

it is single-action, which is one of the reasons I asked.

I like it at the range, because it keeps me from just plowing through ammo at an alarming rate. That's what the 10/22 is for :D

So next question - is it pointless to consider buying a .22 pistol AS A CARRY WEAPON?

I suppose I could always start off carrying a .22, and then upgrade to something larger caliber, and just continue to train with the .22. I know a .22 lr has very little stopping power. How much better would a 22 magnum be?

For whatever reason, I really like the idea of having multiple firearms that utilize the same caliber though. And cheap ammo is super appealing. Am I talking myself into a 9mm pistol?

Something is always better than nothing, but spend some time with a larger caliber prior to making the decision. The single six is more of a camp plinker. Actually just sold mine for $400 three weeks ago.

$100 or $120 for a one day class. I didn't wanna blow a whole weekend so I didn't mind paying the premium for the one day.

Did it with a Richfield Cop who has been teaching the class like 10 years or so. Guy is super cool, knows his shit and attempts to keep your interest through the "dry" shit by being entertaining. I've reccomended him to several friends and he pretty much fills classes by word of mouth from past students and his fellow LEO's

we didnt have to draw from a holster in mine

We did. It depends on the class the range and instructor. Everything we did was start with the gun holstered. Then we even moved onto shoot and move from cover.

I'm just saying you might wanna ask the instructor is a sa revolver is ok for the course of fire.

$65

1day class

i used my XD9SC

Loaner guns were free in .22 cal and everything else was cost of ammo i believe.

There was a guy there that had never shot a firearm in his life. They let him shoot a few different guns trying to find something he could shoot well enough to qualify in the shooting part of the class. I think once his nerves settled down he would have been fine with any of them.

Also i was blow away at the amount of people in my class that could not understand simple instructions. What part of "DO NOT BRING YOUR FIREARM LOADED OR NOT IN THE CLASS ROOM AT ANYTIME" is hard to understand. I think in every email, conversation and piece of paper leading up to the class had that message in some fashion in it. I could tell the instructor was getting abit pissed about it after the second time it happened.

That sounds more like advanced shooting course IMHO, no need for any of that in a basic CCW course.:wtf: You cant draw in a range anyways, and most are so strict that even doing doubles is becoming frond upon. I have a great guy whom will even come to you or allow you to take the course at his home, the range time is at the Powder Room in Powell.

That sounds more like advanced shooting course IMHO, no need for any of that in a basic CCW course.:wtf: You cant draw in a range anyways, and most are so strict that even doing doubles is becoming frond upon. I have a great guy whom will even come to you or allow you to take the course at his home, the range time is at the Powder Room in Powell.

Knowing how to properly draw a weapon is pretty important. Our class was NRA basic pistol course. I even got the sew on patch for completing it lol.

i think mine was $75 at Miami valley Shooting ground. and we only loaded 5 rounds at a time in the shooting portion anyway so id say a revolver is ok. now I would without a doubt pay the $150 premium to go to Vandalia Armoury and take their course. they do a lot of shooting from cover, crouched, weak and strong hand. much more extensive than the class I took.