Hey penn state....

gen3flygirl

I don't get why Joe Paterno is even involved at this point. When this was brought to his attention in 2002 he did what he was supposed to, he reported it to the higher ups. I don't get what else people expect him to do. Should he have run a one man crusade against Sandusky over a situation he did not witness and had already reported? Should he have practiced a little vigilante justice? What else was he supposed to do after he reported this to his supervisor?

Report it to the fucking cops!!!!! If some one told you that an adult is having any sort of inappropriate relationship with a minor why wouldn't you tell the proper authorities not your supervisors. Those kids lived will never be the same, after years of therapy they might be able to function normally but that is a huge if. I think any one that knew and didn't press the issue should be charged as an accomplice. Maybe I am over reacting but shit like this should never happen yet it keeps coming up in news stories.

I agree that I personally would press the issue, call the cops, kill the bastard whatever you want to call it, but, there is a difference between doing something wrong and doing something immoral. Joe Paterno did nothing that warrants discipline, from a moral stand point I agree he should have done more but as far as rule breaking I just am not seeing it.

I agree that I personally would press the issue, call the cops, kill the bastard whatever you want to call it, but, there is a difference between doing something wrong and doing something immoral. Joe Paterno did nothing that warrants discipline, from a moral stand point I agree he should have done more but as far as rule breaking I just am not seeing it.

I still feel like I am over reacting but I don't understand how a university can employ someone in a leadership role when they have failed to properly report something like this.

An incident involving the coach (Sandusky) and a male minor was reported in 1998. Circumstances were similar ("...incidents with children in football building showers...") to the ones reported over the weekend that occurred in 2002 and 2009. This incident was "investigated" by the University Police.

Joe Pa "...felt it was time to make a coaching change..." in 1999. Coincidence? I doubt it.

According to this Grand Jury report, the university's President knew of the 1998 and 2002 allegations, and it looks as though he did next to nothing, aside from notifying the executive director of the football camp (a.k.a. hunting grounds for Sandusky).

The graduate assistant who witnessed an incident in 2002 is the wide receivers coach and recruiting coordinator at Penn State.

The A.D. and an S.V.P. at Penn State have already been fired, er, "resigned" and "been placed on leave".

The President needs to go.

Joe Pa *should* have done more, could have done more. As a man, as a father, as a Christian, as a human, he should have done more. He should have called the State Police. He should have done *something* more than just sending it up the chain of command, where it seemingly was ignored/covered up.

As a father of a 10 year old football player (same age as one of the 2002 vicitims), I know for a fact that I'd be sitting in city/county lockup right now, as the D.A. would be considering whether or not to file charges against me on a count of manslaughter.

Sh*t like this, when the victims are children and the adults who are supposed to protect them do next to nothing, really, really, REALLY angers me.

</rant>

• Upvote 1

I still feel like I am over reacting but I don't understand how a university can employ someone in a leadership role when they have failed to properly report something like this.

That's what I am saying though he did not fail to report it, he reported to his boss who decided not to do anything, that is no Paterno's fault.

According to the New York Times, Joe Pa will be gone "soon, perhaps within days or weeks".

...The board of trustees has yet to determine the precise timing of Paterno’s exit, but it is clear that the man who has more victories than any other coach at college football’s top level and who made Penn State a prestigious national brand will not survive to coach another season...

It's too bad that a man I thought to be as good, coaching-wise and "doing things the right way-wise" as could be found has to have his career end this way, but the following excerpt from the same story in The Times succintly sums it up (my own emphasis added):

Since Sandusky’s arrest Saturday, Penn State — notably its president, Graham Spanier, and Paterno — have come under withering criticism for a failure to act adequately after learning, at different points over the years, that Sandusky might have been abusing children.

Not just one time, but multiple times. :nono:

I cannot speak about the exact policy that Penn State has but I know when I used to teach PSR (Publicly Schooled Religion) for my church the policy was if a child came to me and reported abuse I was not to call the police but report it to the director and let them do whatever they had to do. It was in our policy not to call the police maybe Penn State has a similar policy. Unfortunately the court of public opinion will tarnish Joe Paternos reputation and career even though he did nothing wrong. This is what happens when people think with emotion and not logic.

That's what I am saying though he did not fail to report it, he reported to his boss who decided not to do anything, that is no Paterno's fault.

I agree, it's not Joe Pa's fault that his boss is/was a delta-bravo. His boss is also now out of a job.

If Joe Pa had done something just beyond reporting it to his boss in 1998, that something might have prevented the *alleged* multiple cases of abuse that occurred later.

It's one thing to 'follow orders', i.e. report it to your superiors and leave it at that.

It's quite another when you know for a fact that nothing has been done to stop the abuse from happening, and yet you do nothing.

Listen, I thought as highly of Coach Paterno until all of this came to light as anyone did - he won, consistently, and did it the "right way".

How one can stand by and allow things like this to happen is just beyond my comprehension.

I cannot speak about the exact policy that Penn State has but I know when I used to teach PSR (Publicly Schooled Religion) for my church the policy was if a child came to me and reported abuse I was not to call the police but report it to the director and let them do whatever they had to do. It was in our policy not to call the police maybe Penn State has a similar policy. Unfortunately the court of public opinion will tarnish Joe Paternos reputation and career even though he did nothing wrong. This is what happens when people think with emotion and not logic.

Penn State's policies don't trump Pennsylvania State Law.

Unless PA is vastly different from Ohio (and that's possible), you're required to report child abuse to police, even if it's merely a suspicion.

This is one of the few places that the law imposes a duty on an otherwise innocent bystander. The state may have to prove a few things to make the charges stick, but the fact is, people knew, and they not only failed to report these crimes to the PROPER authorities, but also took steps to conceal them.

The whole story will come out eventually, and then we'll see if Paterno is really guilty of concealing stuff, or if he just reported something to his bosses because he was obligated to, but never really believed his friend would do such things.

I can understand the latter scenario. Hindsight being 20/20, I'm sure he's kicking himself now too.

• Upvote 2

Nothing against you or your belief in religion but what you just stated is one of many reasons I am against organized religion. I think what has surfaced in the past few years is proof enough. I dont care how many enemies I would make or loosing my job child molestation is something that should always be taken seriously and reported to proper authorities not someone who might be protecting their own interest.

The whole story will come out eventually, and then we'll see if Paterno is really guilty of concealing stuff, or if he just reported something to his bosses because he was obligated to, but never really believed his friend would do such things.

I can understand the latter scenario. Hindsight being 20/20, I'm sure he's kicking himself now too.

I am sure there will be more to this story and if Paterno did actively cover up these actions or knew that they were being covered up and did nothing then I agree he needs to lose his job and have charges brought against him. However I cant blame somebody in a public position like his for reporting the incident and then trying to distance himself from the situation.

Nothing against you or your belief in religion but what you just stated is one of many reasons I am against organized religion. I think what has surfaced in the past few years is proof enough. I dont care how many enemies I would make or loosing my job child molestation is something that should always be taken seriously and reported to proper authorities not someone who might be protecting their own interest.

I'm not sure you can blame cover-ups on religion in particular. Anywhere there is money flowing in, people will take sickening lengths to keep it coming.

I am no fan of organized religion, but it's not the religion part motivating molestation or covering up molestation - it's the money.

I dont care how many enemies I would make or loosing my job child molestation is something that should always be taken seriously and reported to proper authorities not someone who might be protecting their own interest.

I agree and as I said earlier I would do more than just report to my superior but I am not obligated to do so. If a child reported abuse to me I would have told the director and then I would have been on that directors ass about what she was doing to follow up on the report and if she did not call police I would.

WE'll have to see what is said about what Paterno knew, and what feedback he got from his higher-ups. Maybe he was told the investigation concluded the allegations were unfoudned, or were a misinterpretation of what went on. You have to judge him by what he knew, not by what we know know. There is a lot of anger now that we know more, but before that anger is directed at any one individual then we need to be sure they are deserving.

It's all speculation right now, let it play out before we prepare the gallows. If he DID know what was gogin on then he had a moral duty to make sure it stopped, to follow up if he didn't get good answers, to call the police himself if he was sure. BUT if he got one report of some inappropriate conduct, reported it up and was told; "We investigated, wasnt what to looked like, we dealt with it and it won't happen again." then would it be appropriate for him to still go to the police?