National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011

jporter12

I am still confused on some of these laws... I am originally from NY and will be traveling back for Thanksgiving, you do not need a permit in NY to conceal carry however there is a 2 week waiting period when purchasing a hand gun. Someone help me out, the way i understand is even though i am originally from there but now live in Ohio with valid ID I am not aloud to travel with my Ohio CCW to NY and carry while driving to my destination? Is that correct?

You do need a carry permit to carry in new york you can not buy a pistol unless you have a permit. Ohio license is not respected in NY. Its easy to get a permit in up state NY. But the laws down state NY are harder to get a carry conceal you have to always carry 5000.00 to carry the pistol. This is why NY sucks.

You do need a carry permit to carry in new york you can not buy a pistol unless you have a permit. Ohio license is not respected in NY. Its easy to get a permit in up state NY. But the laws down state NY are harder to get a carry conceal you have to always carry 5000.00 to carry the pistol. This is why NY sucks.

Is an upstate permit valid in NYC?

Do you have to apply in your home county? Can an NYC resident apply in upstate? Or rent a second home in upstate, classify it as primary residence, get permit, then carry in NYC?

There is a difference between a carry permit and a gun permit in NY. A CCW is very difficult to get, however the gun permit is rather easy. Getting a CCW requires a written request to a judge and more. NOT easy to convince any judge to give you that; especially in any left leaning town.

Is an upstate permit valid in NYC?

Do you have to apply in your home county? Can an NYC resident apply in upstate? Or rent a second home in upstate, classify it as primary residence, get permit, then carry in NYC?

An "upstate" permit is not valid in NYC. They have their own set of laws pertaining to the purchase and carry of weapons. If all a person has is an "upstate" license then he cannot carry in the City regardless of where he lives, rents or owns.

If it were to ever pass your ohio chl would be good in any state that allows concealed carry no need to obtain multiple state permits

OK thanks I understood that it still needs to make it through the Senate and Obama I just wanted to make sure I understood exactly what it meant in lame-mans terms :D

It passed lady night. And from what i read the watered down amendments didn't pass with it.

DYAC! :lol:

I didn't see where they voted on it. Reading all the crap in their minutes, on their website, etc. is pretty confusing... I fail at deciphering all their :bs:

only one amendment made it.

H.AMDT.876 (A009)

Amends: H.R.822

Sponsor: Rep Reichert, David G. [WA-8] (offered 11/16/2011)

AMENDMENT PURPOSE:

An amendment numbered 10 printed in House Report 112-283 to require a GAO study on the ability of state and local law enforcement authorities to verify the validity of out-of-state concealed firearms permits.

11/16/2011 4:07pm:

Amendment (A009) offered by Mr. Reichert. (consideration: CR H7681-7682; text: CR H7681)

11/16/2011 4:15pm:

On agreeing to the Reichert amendment (A009) Agreed to by voice vote.

Vermont voted against it? I thought they were the mecca of liberal cc laws?

Likely the unintended consequences. I'm betting it would have required the more liberal gun states (literal definition of liberal, not political definition) to impose restrictions in order to allow its citizenry to participate. Just a guess. As I haven't taken the time to study this.

I just checked my email and there was this response from my representative:

November 22, 2011

Dear Mr. Porter,

Thank you for contacting me regarding your concerns with the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act. I appreciate this opportunity to correspond with you.

As you may know, on February 18, 2011, Congressman Cliff Stearns (R-FL) introduced H.R. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act. This bill would allow any person with a valid state-issued concealed firearm permit to carry a concealed firearm in any state that issues concealed firearm permits or does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms.

On November 16, 2011, H.R. 822 passed the U.S. House of Representatives by a vote of 272 – 154. It has been referred to the U.S. Senate for further consideration.

I have heard from constituents who are unclear about what this bill does and does not do. I would like to address these concerns.

Some have mentioned that this bill would involve federal bureaucracy setting standards for carry permits which could result in higher fees, waiting periods, national gun owner registration, or even more government regulations. This bill does not require or authorize any such action by any federal agency.

Others have had concerns that this bill would destroy permitless carry systems such as those in Arizona, Alaska, Vermont and Wyoming. However, this bill would have no effect on how the permitless carry states' laws work within those states. For residents of Arizona, Alaska and Wyoming, where permits are not required but remain available under state law, this bill would make those permits valid in all states that issue permits to their own residents.

I am a firm believer in protecting a law-abiding citizen's right to own firearms. This right is enshrined in the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, and I do not support laws that would impede the use of firearms for hunting, self-defense, sporting, or other legal purposes. However, I strongly believe in enacting strict laws that punish those who abuse their right to bear arms.

As your Representative, constituent input is a vital element in best serving the 12th Congressional District of Ohio. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your concerns. If I may be of assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Patrick J. Tiberi

Representative to Congress

PJT/rk

Edited by jporter12
quote formatting