Ballistic Gel

jporter12

Anybody make their own? I searched google and found some people using Knox Gelatin, or buying the real deal. Just from the article I was reading, the real deal is about $4 a pound, minimum of 25 pounds.

I'm not planning to do any actual tests or anything, just something to shoot into, using various containers and/or molds. Maybe fill some bottles with itto get more use out of them?

Just brainstorming cheap targets. I was also considering the self-healing targets that Do-all makes.

Stick with standard paper or steel targets. Shooting ballistic gel is a waste of money for the average person unless you just want to see it splat.

Splat factor is another reason! Paper targets are fine, but once in a while I like to see some damage. Shooting pumpkins was fun, but didn't last long!

I really enjoyed shooting tomatoes.

Granted, mine were free, because it was already frosting the last time I went shooting, and there were a bunch of green ones still on the plant in our back yard, but I think small produce is my target of choice for .22lr hp's from now on :)

good "splat" for the buck ratio.

I read an article about making ballistics gelatin from packs of jello. If i remember correctly, you made the jello and let it set up, then put it back into the pan and heated it until it became liquid again and boiled. Repeated this a couple times and every time it became more dense.

Definitely nothing like the real deal but a cheap alternative if you're just trying to have some fun.

Edit: Found this.

http://www.myscienceproject.org/gelatin.html

Edited by ross

If used in a clean setting, like a lab, blocks of ballistics gel can be recycled by melting them down and remolding them. However, ours got too full of dirt and wood splinters to be reclaimed.

Why not just melt it down and run it through a screen or something?

Who wants to make a full-size ballistics-gel person for the next OR range meet-up?

Why not just melt it down and run it through a screen or something?

Who wants to make a full-size ballistics-gel person for the next OR range meet-up?

That would not be cheap, @ $4+ a pound! I was thinking about making some smaller stuff to shoot, such as empty water bottles, smaller blocks, etc...

That would not be cheap, @ $4+ a pound! I was thinking about making some smaller stuff to shoot, such as empty water bottles, smaller blocks, etc...

I'm pretty sure it's actually cheaper to pay a hobo or illegal to let you shoot them. You can just fill up bottles or jugs with water, and freeze some.

That one website created a gallon of the stuff for $16. If you just did a torso and heat then you're tlaking about 8-10 gallons. If you keep it clean enough to reuse then you should be good. Though the materials needed to mold a torso are likely more expensive. You'd need need tons of dental alginate, plaster and cloth bandages.