WTB: Rimfire rifle

bacchus

Took my son to the range (new albany) for the first time last week and we had a great time. He is fixated on rifles with scopes (probably from battlefield and COD) and I'm considering an inxepensive rifle for X-mas. Anybody looking to get rid of a .22 (LR or mag) or .17hmr? ...or insights on the best place to look?

One thing I can say about the FPS...I didn't have to teach sight picture...just breathing technique and he didn't miss the paper at any range. Good groupings, too. With rented guns.

If your looking semi auto some good ones are the 10/22, the rem 597 is not bad I have one and love it. The mossberg plinkster had gotten good reviews from member here that have one. If you are going bolt action then I would say buy a savage. I have a .17hmr and would highly suggest one of those over a 22lr.

picture.php?albumid=1111&pictureid=13364

Edited by speedytriple

When I learned to shoot as a kid we used bolt action .22 LR rifle that also accepted shorts. Reason was a bolt can be single loaded, helps train them to leave the bolt open when not in use to show nothing is chambered and the ability to start with a short and move up to a LR round as we proved responsibility. I was 8 when I got my National 50ft masters badge for several perfect 10 groupings. I really enjoyed learning and that experience has made me a safe firearm handler for life because I learned respect for the gun not macho or TV induced "Rambo" attitude. Train the kid right and make it fun. :-)

Anything he will shoot. Rugers were nice. I don't care for the new plastic receivers

My 10/22 has the plastic trigger housing, I wasn't fond of it to start either as it didn't have a good feel to it. I spent half the afternoon one day inside that thing with some jewelers files, honing stones and some emery paper. It has got to be 5-10 times better feeling. You get all the darn mold lines and sharp edges off the plastic and then even so slightly refit and debur the internal parts. It's still not a target grade trigger but it is tons better than factory.

Now I don't have to wait 5,000 rounds for it to have that nice broken in feeling.:rolleyes:

I like my 10/22, but i don't think it's an ideal target rifle. Plenty accurate for me, but I'd have gone bolt action savage if I thought I'd be competing or anything.

And the "plastic" trigger housings are less brittle than the metal ones were. There is a drop test on YouTube that shows the metal one breaking.

This was my first 22 LR rifle, except mine did not have the accu-trigger.

It is a Savage MKII. I think I paid $125 at Dick's Sporting Goods:

0006265450701_500X500.jpg

Then, once i got comforable with shooting in general, I picked up this Marlin 795 semi-auto for $99 at Dick's Sporting Goods:

photo_795.jpg