How good is a Subaru in snow?

redkow97

Baby brother is buying a "new" car, but lives in Washington State.

snow chains are mandatory in multiple sections of mountain passes.

He's debating between something fun to drive (Impreza or WRX) versus something with more ground clearance (CRV - <cough, girl car, cough>).

The Outback has been proposed as a decent compromise, but before he goes and buys something so "beige," how good (or bad) would a Subaru sedan do in deep snow?

YouTube videos actually make things look pretty promising, and a CRV isn't all that much higher up.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how much snow do they get up there? do they routinely (like at least once a month during winter) get 20+" of thick veiny snow?

if so, then a sedan probably won't cut it. if they get snow like we get here, then just buy an STI and go crazy.

Where he lives, they get similar snow to us. But he's all into the ski/snowboard/snow shoe/hiking scene now.

He's basically a lesbian hippy with a dick these days. Which is another reason the Subaru sounds about right...

The mountains are the big question-mark. They can get 20" in a few hours in bad conditions, and the roads aren't clear for days. But I don't think ANY vehicle is really going to deal with that well, and not be hugely impractical for the other 95% of the year.

Have had a couple of Audi's with Quattro AWD, which I would imagine is as good as Subies (Subie lovers, stand down please).

Never had any troubles at all, went up the gravel driveway with 15" of snow on it at the cabin just as well as my Grand Cherokee did.

only as good as the driver

I don't care what anyone says, if you suck at driving in snow then no car technology is gonna save your ass. I've had fwd, rwd, 4WD and awd in all sorts of snow conditions and what matters most is knowing how to pilot them all differently to get desired effects

only as good as the driver

I don't care what anyone says, if you suck at driving in snow then no car technology is gonna save your ass. I've had fwd, rwd, 4WD and awd in all sorts of snow conditions and what matters most is knowing how to pilot them all differently to get desired effects

I agree to the extent that once you are moving, AWD isn't some magic bullet that keeps you on the road, but starting from a stop in deep snow was damn near impossible in my RWD ranger.

Once I was moving, I never had an issue, but GETTING moving can be a lot to ask of two wheels with no weight over them.

I agree to the extent that once you are moving, AWD isn't some magic bullet that keeps you on the road, but starting from a stop in deep snow was damn near impossible in my RWD ranger.

Once I was moving, I never had an issue, but GETTING moving can be a lot to ask of two wheels with no weight over them.

yea, its funny you mention that. As I was typing my reply, I couldn't think how my 400HP camaro was easier to drive in the snow than my truck not in 4wd but weighted down

My uncle who has lived in CO since graduating college has never driven anything but Scooby's and never will. Similar to your situation, guy has 2 kids, ex wife, now just kicks it, ski's and lives the american dream.

Anytime we go to CO anymore we get an SUV but before that we got Subaru's and they have always been fine. My family in VT does the same thing, thats all they own.

Basically it comes down to the driver, BUT the AWD's are made for these conditions.

Nothing like driving a STi with dedicated snow tires in the fluffy stuff.

WRX is not quite as good, no limited slip front diff...but still pretty good.

I'm sure Audi Quattro would be just as good or better, but I have no first hand experience with Audi.

I can say this...the 2008 STi, the 2007 STi, and the 2003 WRX that I had with snow tires was hands down better than my 2005 Jeep Liberty(with Goodyear Wrangler HP's).

Subaru.

You really can't go wrong!

My chevy fullsize pickup with one tire fire and loaded down with weight will pull amazing through snow up past the front bumper, but lord help you if you come to a stop.

It's absolutely useless on an icy slope. It is however, a hell of a lot of fun sliding it around like a mad man at 10 mph while soccer moms try to pass you in their minivans. Nothing like using both lanes driving down the road at a 30 degree angle to the lane, looking out the passenger window, for blocks at a time. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Usually i don't even bother putting any weight in it since i don't live in the country anymore and they pave the roads with salt here.

FWD/AWD might get you somewhere faster, but they all stop the same. I refuse to drive a FWD in the snow. I find it terrifying when you turn the wheel and nothing happens. With good throttle and clutch control a RWD is just effortless to control on snow.

the biggest issue I ever had w/ my truck was backing out of my driveway.

I'd get into the street, and then not be able to move forward again... It usually took me some digging just to get back in the driveway.

If I could get moving, I never had any complaints. I did put weight in the bed, and looked into snow tires, but the tires I had were getting "excellent" winter traction ratings from people in MN, Canada, etc. I think I would have expected too much and been disappointed with snow tires.

drifting around corners was standard procedure. Only over-did it once, and that was after the epic blizzard 3 years ago, and I did it pulling out of my driveway, with the gas pegged hard (out of frustration). Still never got 180 degrees.

...Still never got 180 degrees.

I did a complete 360 on 70 East going to a gig in Bexley. Had just been tooling along at 55 or so in my rwd Cutlass, back end started coming around, tried to steer into it, back end kept coming. As I got to about 270 degrees, let off the gas, the spin slowed down, and I went on my merry way.

Good thing there was no one else on the road.

'97 Toyota 4Runner...Limited.......just make sure to tell him to get ready for all the chicks he's going to get! :cool:

FWIW, i drove a CRV AWD in southern utah this summer and while i know its the desert and not the tundra i was pretty impressed how well it did. five dudes with the cargo area and roof packed with gear it never bottomed out and never spun a wheel through unmaintained roads and washouts. not hard core off-roading, but worth a mention. i couldnt help but be impressed. i've also done an Audi A4 Quattro around pittsburgh in the winter with nary an issue.

at any rate, it sounds like he's in for a good winter.

I've got an Outback. I haven't had the opportunity to drive it in the snow yet. The white demon dust falls from the sky now. It handles well in the rain. I've never felt like I've even come close to hydroplaning at all. My neighbor has an STi. He puts winter tires on it and says it handles great. He's even pulled his wife's car out of the snow a couple of times with it.