How good is a Subaru in snow?

redkow97

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Drive through twists and turns hard and aggressive with AWD.......then you might get it.

Oh, I get it. There's just not enough opportunity for me to utilize the benefits. If I was in the market for another car, and a car that I like was available with AWD, then I would likely go for it. An Audi Quattro would interest me if I was in the market for a car, but not so much with Subaru. Nothing wrong with Subaru, I just don't care for them. Besides, when I go through "twists and turns hard and aggressive" I prefer to be on the bike!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOI9VvoaRJM

Subaru with winter tires. Have yet to be defeated by snow in central ohio.

My Bronco was worse in the snow - too much torque, and even in 4x4 you have to have the front diffs unlocked on dry pavement so when that one moment you need 4x4 comes along your front axles aren't helping. You can only really use true 4x4 when the road is ALL slick (or offroad). Need ARBs on my Bronco.

AWD will get you going, but you're on your own for turning and stopping.

AWD is good for wet too - it's almost impossible to spin the tires in the wet unless you do it on purpose. In the dry there is no spinning the tires - the clutch will slip before the tires too.

Edited by Scruit

AWD on the Audi has a button to turn off the "ESP" traction control....tried this on a dirt road after a nice rain storm. ran the road twice, once with the ESP on, and once with it off. MAJOR difference! Could not power slide with ESP on, with it off, felt just like 4WD.

AWD on the Audi has a button to turn off the "ESP" traction control....tried this on a dirt road after a nice rain storm. ran the road twice, once with the ESP on, and once with it off. MAJOR difference! Could not power slide with ESP on, with it off, felt just like 4WD.
I had to turn off the traction control several times last year to get my SI unstuck:confused:

I drove my buddies over to the Archery trade show last Januaury in Indianapolis. Well worth the 20.00 i paid him to use it. Drove over at 80 85 (dry pavement with some flurries and a couple slick spots) on the way home there was a bad storm that hit. We stopped and ate on the way home at red lobster, goofed off a while and tried to wait for the snow to be on the ground since it was like a white out. Finally ont he road and moving back toward home on 70 could not see anything but tracks and was still running at 65 - 70. passing 4wd f350's all the way laughing. I will admit they are impressive.