How good is a Subaru in snow?

redkow97

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

only as good as the driver

I don't care what anyone says, if you suck at driving in snow then no car technology is gonna save your ass. I've had fwd, rwd, 4WD and awd in all sorts of snow conditions and what matters most is knowing how to pilot them all differently to get desired effects

+1

I see more AWD/4x4's off the road in the winter than 2 wheel drive vehicles. People forget that awd/4wd only helps you go, it does next to nothing for stopping.

+1

I see more AWD/4x4's off the road in the winter than 2 wheel drive vehicles. People forget that awd/4wd only helps you go, it does next to nothing for stopping.

Only because stupid distracted women are driving them.:rolleyes: The amount of traction, stability and handling I get from my Impreza is just amazing, and I have a 5 speed which also helps in braking.

Edited by Pokey

The only thing that can tackle an avalanche... is an Avalanche.

2007-Chevrolet-Avalanche-Front-Side.jpg

It runs deep, son.

Ah, the girly version! Go big or go home. Find an older 2500 with the 8100 in it. THAT is a tank.

I have a imprezza hatch back and love it. My tires are wearing down and will be replaced before the snow flies. I would say outback or forester would work well for what he needs.

Uh, you're a bit late! (Unless you replaced them overnight...)

Subaru's do well, I just don't really like them for driving around the rest of the time, when you don't need AWD.

FWD vs. RWD... I'll take most FWD's over most RWD's any day. There are some FWD's that don't do well, and others that are like tanks.

The key is what Pauly said, tires and driving abilities. I've never been stuck in my Intrepid. It made it out of our driveway through about a foot of snow in about half the time and effort of the Malibu that my wife had at the time, with the same tires, even though the Intrepid has a slightly lower ground clearance.

FWD vs. RWD... I'll take most FWD's over most RWD's any day. There are some FWD's that don't do well, and others that are like tanks.

the only way I'd rock a FWD car in the winter is if it has a handbrake. The one I've had with a foot ebrake sucked and severely limited my advanced snow driving ability :p

daughter has a Subaru, lives outside Seattle and loves it. She grew up driving in Ohio winters with 4WD, FWD, and RWD vehicles(yes, I taught her how to handle all types of vehicles in the snow). She can't say enough good things about her Subaru. She also heads up into the mountains to go skiing, so she brings chains with her, but hasn't had to use them(but some law up there requires you to have them).

We have an Audi A4 Quattro 2.0L Turbo....the few times it snowed here in TX, had absolutely no problems. It accumulated about 3-4 inches last winter, and with no road crews, the conditions were truly a mountain of suck...add to that, no one here has experience driving in that type of weather....besides dealing with the dumbasses down here, the car handled like a dream.

Tires, AWD and driver makes all the difference.

I don't get it either, but I can adjust the center differential via a switch and make it rear wheel drive. Supposedly it gets another 1 mpg

:wtf:

Center diff adjustment or not, unless you mechanically sever the connection in two places (eg. At the diff and at the wheels) all those drivetrain components are still using power to spin at whatever wheelspeed you're driving.

Edited by JRMMiii

I have gotten Subarus, Audis, and 4WD Chevys stuck in just a couple inches of mud/snow. If the tires are shit, no AWD system is going to help you on some stuff. That being said, I've also pulled a ford explorer through 10 inches of mud with mein Audi on all-seasons.

:wtf:

Center diff adjustment or not, unless you mechanically sever the connection in two places (eg. At the diff and at the wheels) all those drivetrain components are still using power to spin at whatever wheelspeed your driving.

Just when you think your thread is nerdery safe. :nono:

The key is what Pauly said, tires and driving abilities. I've never been stuck in my Intrepid. It made it out of our driveway through about a foot of snow in about half the time and effort of the Malibu that my wife had at the time, with the same tires, even though the Intrepid has a slightly lower ground clearance.

I agree on the fwd I used to have with 91 Honda civic hatchback 4spd, it was fun to play in the snow. I only got stuck once and that was in my drive way that was about 2 1/2 to 3ft deep the snow packed under the front end and lifted the axle up. I scared the Hell out of the neighbors getting in the driveway I knew it was deep was doing 20+ mph pulled the emergency brake did a perfect 90 degree and stopped in my parking spot. I prefer a stick in a fwd also. We had an 07 Toyota corrola that handled very well in the snow.

I'm curious how the Honda element will handle in the snow, it does very well in the rain.

I see a lot of subarus in states that get quite a bit of snow so I assume they are good if you know how to drive. The mountain passes get impassable for most any vehicle at times. The snow can fall fast and deep on snowquamy(spelling?) mountain pass, and others I'm sure. The real problem is the ice below the snow on those passes.

Gotcha. However' date=' AWD isn't just for snow.. and it's actually never really [i']needed. It's just nice to have. Different strokes..
Love it in the wet! My WRX feels so much more competent in the wet and dry than my front drive SI did. There's no wheel-spin at all in the wet or dry which is impressive given its 4.8 second 0-60 time..