2012 Rocky Mountain Adventure Ride, August 2-5, Silverton, CO

Casper

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736276

http://www.stromtrooper.com/events/69607-2012-rocky-mountain-adventure-ride-august-2-5-silverton-co.html

Anyone planning on going? Anyone interested in going? Alaska may not work out for me again this year (probably going to have to wait until the boy is a bit older before I leave for three weeks). If it doesn't, I'm looking for other rides, and this one looks promising. I wouldn't be doing the gnarly off-road stuff, but definitely the fun roads and gravel/dirt roads.

Playing around, thinking something like this (includes going to Glacier National Park on the way home):

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=columbus,+ohio&daddr=I-70+W+to:US-40+W+to:Silverton,+CO+to:I-86+W+to:Glacier+National+Park,+MT+to:I-90+E+to:I-90+E+to:I-80+E+to:Columbus,+Ohio&hl=en&sll=43.165123,-98.569336&sspn=25.31769,39.506836&geocode=FVjCYQId9okN-ylx3pC5wYk4iDEztbHP-GYy5A%3BFaqXUgIdfNh--g%3BFQg7UQIdKLrs-Q%3BFeX2QAIdhiuV-SlNPz7U-Oc-hzE_y321LjjfaA%3BFQzMjgIdeBtL-Q%3BFYUX5AIdSbE0-SHsXcUVIrwWrw%3BFbT0uAIduqqX-Q%3BFXJjmwIdcOgb-g%3BFbzzegIdahOX-g%3BFVjCYQId9okN-ylx3pC5wYk4iDEztbHP-GYy5A&vpsrc=6&mra=mi&mrsp=8&sz=5&t=m&z=5

Monday 7/30 - Columbus, OH to Columbia, MO (535 miles)

Tuesday 7/31 - Columbia, MO to Sharon Springs, KS (535 miles)

Wednesday 8/1 - Sharon Springs, KS to Silverton, CO (452 miles)

Thursday 8/2 - RMAR (undetermined miles)

Friday 8/3 - RMAR (undetermined miles)

Saturday 8/4 - RMAR (undetermined miles)

Sunday 8/5 - RMAR (undetermined miles)

Monday 8/6 - Silverton, CO to Pocatello, ID (572 miles)

Tuesday 8/7 -Pocatello, ID to Glacier National Park, MO (490 miles)

Wednesday 8/8 - Explore Glacier National Park (undetermined mileage)

Thursday 8/9 - Glacier National Park, MO to Hardin, MO (469 miles)

Friday 8/10 - Hardin, MO to White Lake, SD (549 miles)

Saturday 8/11 - White Lake, SD to Davonport, IA (531 miles)

Sunday 8/12 - Davonport, IA to Columbus, OH (494 miles)

You could be home four days earlier if you just go home after RMAR. I'm still wanting to hit Glacier National Park this summer. I'll probably camp a lot. Some hotels for showers and what not. Anyone interested in something like this this year?

we rode out to Sturgis then onto Salt Lake City and back through Colorado coming back home. Couldn't ride Beartooth Pass because of the snow at the end of June (it is closed until Memorial Day). All told we went about 5k miles. So instead of Alaska, this would be a great ride, but for me dirt roads are out of the question. There is enough grand beauty to be seen riding the blacktop imho. August might be good for Glacier Park, but when in the high altitudes you can darn near expect a snow storm anytime and considering how far north the park is, it would be even a greater chance of happening. But what the hell, eh??

We rode over Monarch Pass on Rt 50 coming back thru Colorado, elevation 11, 312 ft. Awwesome! Once we got past the Mississippi we rode 2 lane rds primarily. But we were gone for 16 days too.

Would love to ride it again. I love mapping rides and would be willing to help with that if you need it. Maybe even ride along if things work out.

Back to the original point of this thread...

I'm down, if I can ride your Strom.:D

Dude, you realize how much fun you'd have on the FZ out there? You could spend days just riding the canyon roads. I'm sure many won't be doing any gravel or dirt roads, even though you could easily on that thing.

we rode out to Sturgis then onto Salt Lake City and back through Colorado coming back home. Couldn't ride Beartooth Pass because of the snow at the end of June (it is closed until Memorial Day). All told we went about 5k miles. So instead of Alaska, this would be a great ride, but for me dirt roads are out of the question. There is enough grand beauty to be seen riding the blacktop imho. August might be good for Glacier Park, but when in the high altitudes you can darn near expect a snow storm anytime and considering how far north the park is, it would be even a greater chance of happening. But what the hell, eh??

We rode over Monarch Pass on Rt 50 coming back thru Colorado, elevation 11, 312 ft. Awwesome! Once we got past the Mississippi we rode 2 lane rds primarily. But we were gone for 16 days too.

Would love to ride it again. I love mapping rides and would be willing to help with that if you need it. Maybe even ride along if things work out.

Certainly let me know if you can join. We can meet up for a couple of beers and plan a route.

I'll be in the Rockkies June 28-July 8 so there's no way I could go again 3 weeks later. And I don't camp.

Rallies never really appealed to me. I like bike trips to

get away from crowds not to ride to them:cry:

There are a couple roads from Colorado up to Glacier that you might wanna try. I'll get the atlas out and see if I can remember them.

The Going to the Sun Road is often closed due to avalanche, even in mid summer. Check before you ride up there.

Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...
Back to the original point of this thread...

Dude, you realize how much fun you'd have on the FZ out there? You could spend days just riding the canyon roads. I'm sure many won't be doing any gravel or dirt roads, even though you could easily on that thing.

Maybe the absolute lowest level trail on an FZ... Honestly, not sure where the actual trails are, but we will probably be out there or around that event to some degree... What we did in Vegas was absolutely no place for ill experienced riders nor non capable off road based machines... It was fairly aggressive.

That all being said, I am planning on an Adventure demo this year and would be in if I can juggle schedules. I'd hotel it, though...

Yeah, not taking the FZ on any trail....at all. Would like to sample the tasty tarmac of the rockies however.

Same here zero gravel/dirt for me but that trip out west sounds mighty tasty. Would almost be nice to be able trailer out to the foot hills then ride the rest, plus the trip home, it would cut back at least half the slabbin. Would just need somone to drive the car and trailer back home.

Edited by 2talltim

Why not just rent a u-haul bike trailer tow it out to the foothills then park the truck at the u-haul place do the rest of the ride, then come back get the truck and rent the u-haul for the ride home?

This is a option too, but ben was going to take a different route home up through montana and the dakotas. I would not have to rent a trailer I have my own, I also have aunt that lives north of denver I could park at....lots of options, or I could we could just stop being pussies and ride it all..:lol: