Any hammock campers here?

Casper

Treklight has 30% off everything today. I've been thinking about picking up one of their singles, and with 30% off I'm probably going to. Anyone have an experience with them? I know a few people who use them instead of tents. They just run another piece of rope between the trees and throw a tarp over them. Anyone do anything similar?

http://www.hennessyhammock.com/

Pros: Super lightweight and take up hardly any space.

Cons: Having somewhere to hang them up.

If you're looking at hammock camping, you need to look at Hennessy Hammocks first.

I like the Treklights a lot better. Quite a bit lighter from what I've seen, and they pack down smaller.

I have never been hammock camping, but I do carry one of these in my bag just in case. You can use it as a hammock, as a base for camouflaging something small, carrying someone wounded, etc. Rolls up to about the size of your fist. It's not fancy but would work in a pinch.

http://www.specopstactical.com/olive-drab-super-hammock-p-1524.html

51wlI4+dCkL._SL250_.jpg

Edited by chevysoldier

I have a hammock tent and a regular ultralight, and there are advantages to both but if I were traveling to destinations unknown I wouldn't even consider the hammock. Especially if going out west, or across plains, etc. Finding strong hanging points can be really difficult sometimes.

Thank god I though this was about :takeit: hammocks!!!? You thinking about using a hammock when you go up to alaska? thats just like wrapping the food up for the bears..

:lol:

No, not for Alaska. Thinking about doing another CO trip this year instead of Alaska. I'm thinking the Alaska trip might be pushed off until mini me is a couple years so. I kinda feel bad leaving for three weeks while the wifey has to take care of everything. Not sure yet. She says I can go to Alaska this year, but I'm still hesitant. Plus, I already carry a Marmot 2P lightweight tent with me. I think the hammock would be an addition.