Smallest 12 cylinder engine

alab32

Saw this last week, I don't think I would have the patients or attention to detail to do anything even close to this. The crank and cam shafts alone looked crazy to do! I would however LOVE to build one of these if it came in a kit or something. I wonder how much power it makes haha!

Something I don't get though is where is the source of ignition? Or is it diesel?

Edited by JStump

I have an engineerection.

But that is some admirable talent, patience and dedication.

BTW, it looks like it may run on nitro fuel (like an RC car), then it just runs similar to a deisel. Just glow-plug it and get it started, then it keeps running with no spark.

ignition? fuel?

i dont understand how it works...is it battery powered to just turn over?

didnt see any piston rings either, so im assuming it is battery powered? no rings means not enough compression to ignite - especially not if it was diesel...if it was gas, no spark plugs and still not enough compression....

its pretty badass - just dont understand how it works is all lol

I have an engineerection.

But that is some admirable talent, patience and dedication.

BTW, it looks like it may run on nitro fuel (like an RC car), then it just runs similar to a deisel. Just glow-plug it and get it started, then it keeps running with no spark.

where was the fuel? ive never messed with an rc car....didnt see it hooked up to anything...all i saw was the air intake and manifold on the top, unless theres a fuel compartment in there....and how much compression is needed to ignite nitro? i didnt see piston rings - i did see the groove cut for them, but no rings

Edited by Steve Butters

Well it looked like the pistons were pretty snug going in so it may have enough pressure. When you are dealing with something as small as that you can probably get away without some of the stuff you would find in a larger engine. I also noticed there wasn't any oil in the case, or very little if there was.

The fuel was in that small tank he screwed on towards the end.

Well it looked like the pistons were pretty snug going in so it may have enough pressure. When you are dealing with something as small as that you can probably get away without some of the stuff you would find in a larger engine. I also noticed there wasn't any oil in the case, or very little if there was.

The fuel was in that small tank he screwed on towards the end.

the tank where the intake manifold would be with the hose coming off? i assumed that hose was an air intake...did that tank hold fuel and air in it?

also - you may be right about the piston rings, just seems unlikely unless nitro burns super easy....a diesel has ballpark 400-600 psi of pressure in each chamber, and 20:1 ratio for ignition of fuel...that seems unlikely without piston rings of some kind...do RC cars have piston rings?

with the oil - i didnt see an oil pan ...the motor probably runs slow enough that it doesnt overheat and ruin bearings...he has the assembly lube in it...i wish the video was in engine so we could understand what all the parts are he was putting on...perhaps it doesnt need oil and the assembly lube is enough to keep it going - oiling every session perhaps

Older nitro RC car engines used to have their pistons encircled by rings, which enabled them to compress the fuel/air mixture in the same manner as a gas powered engine would. Today, however, you’ll virtually always encounter ABC engines with no rings. Rather, the ABC engine has a tapered brass sleeve over the piston; the taper on the sleeve, combined with a thin oil film, makes it possible for the piston to compress the fuel.

perhaps something with how he designed the cylinders is enough to hold compression....kind of like this mentioned about RC cars

maybe he oils up the cylinders and the crank/cam before each use and its enough to keep it running properly for a short time without a proper oiling system

No, there was a small brass tank on the end of the engine, the opposite end of the hose.

i think i see what youre talking about...right below the hose though on the same side, cylinder shaped...missed that before!

very neat engine...its starting to make sense now lol

i think i see what youre talking about...right below the hose though on the same side, cylinder shaped...missed that before!

very neat engine...its starting to make sense now lol

Yeah thats it, I had it mixed up in my head haha

Edited by JStump

i have a "visible v-8" model that has been in my attic for years... Need to get on top of that. cool little coffee-table piece, or garage decor.

found it on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Revell-Visible-V-8-Engine-Scale/dp/B00004YUXS

my parents got it for my brother and me years ago. It was a cool-ass gift. Not sure why we never got around to building it.

This got me thinking... so I looked for a tiny V-8 combustion engine. This doesnt go into as much detail on the build, however it is still cool.

Thats awesome! I was a little thrown off though when he started talking. He does not sound like someone who would be able to engineer something like that haha