We need a nationwide ban on cellphone/texting in cars - NHTSA

Scruit

:wtf: i never said you couldnt be cited - i said comparing people at .08 to txting like the article isnt a valid point for dui>txting because most accidents dui related the driver is above .08

im not sure why youre trying to read me dui laws im not even talking about the legal limit to be cited

you said .08 was the law. it's one of the laws.

and im not defending people who get convicted for DUI

i think the DUI laws are a fucking joke...i think DUI needs a MUCH stiffer penalty that it currently has...people getting 5 DUIs and shit...its pathetic, more people need prison time for it if it was up to me

drag racing has the same penalty as dui....that is unbelievable to me...dui penalties are way too lax

.02, .08, .2, it depends on the person and how they handle alcohol. and how many people have you see wreck and then you saw their BAC? You can't go off the "news", you'll only see the bad ones where the guy was a high limit. You're not gonna hear much about the guy that wrecked at .02. Yes, people wreck at .02 and don't wreck at .2

im talking about personal experience from people ive seen and known...and while i didnt give them a breath test to check - if you cant even fucking walk, youre probably over .08

and im not defending people who get convicted for DUI

i think the DUI laws are a fucking joke...i think DUI needs a MUCH stiffer penalty that it currently has...people getting 5 DUIs and shit...its pathetic, more people need prison time for it if it was up to me

drag racing has the same penalty as dui....that is unbelievable to me...dui penalties are way too lax

agreed.

im talking about personal experience from people ive seen and known...and while i didnt give them a breath test to check - if you cant even fucking walk, youre probably over .08

which is how many people? just because you think you have to be over .08 to not be able to walk, doesn't mean that's the case.

a texting ban is considered because there are so many people that text and drive and the accidents cause by it are enough to pop a red flag. OVI wasn't always illegal until it drew attention as being a big issue. If more people had accidents reading the newspaper, I'm sure we'd be considering a ban on reading and driving.

agreed.

which is how many people? just because you think you have to be over .08 to not be able to walk, doesn't mean that's the case.

a texting ban is considered because there are so many people that text and drive and the accidents cause by it are enough to pop a red flag. OVI wasn't always illegal until it drew attention as being a big issue. If more people had accidents reading the newspaper, I'm sure we'd be considering a ban on reading and driving.

ive had first hand experience with a lot of family members dealing with OVIs, which is why i dont drink...ive come across too many alcoholics in my family to care for the shit

also have a few friends i work with that have been fucked by DUIs, and those are the type of people who wake up in their bed and dont even know how they go home

and a close friend of my mom is going to prison because she was driving drunk and she ran a guy over and killed him...he was just released from suicide watch at a hospital and it was night time and raining - if she was sober when she hit him, im sure they would call it suicide...but that isnt the case

ive had plenty of experience around people who are affected by DUIs, and i would bet a years salary that they were all over .08 when the accidents occured

i was simply saying you cant base an argument that txting is worse than DUI based on an article about .08 drivers vs txters....the reality is a lot of DUI accidents occur when people are above .08....does it happen at .08? yes. below? yes. but a lot of accidents happen above the limit also. i would be more apt to believe an article that included .08 drivers, as well as .2 drivers, along with txters....lumping all DUI offenders into the same category as .08 drivers is not accurate

Edited by Steve Butters

as for passing the law - i have mixed feelings about it which is why i havent argued it either way (too strongly, at least)

i see it as a pointless law that wont do much good - and i think it needs to be on a state level instead of federal

but, i wont be upset if it passes ....i originally was arguing that the penalties for talking on the phone and driving should not be equal to the penalties for DUI because i dont believe them to be equal offenses