We need a nationwide ban on cellphone/texting in cars - NHTSA

Scruit

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/13/us/ntsb-cell-phone-ban/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Washington (CNN) -- Federal accident investigators Tuesday called for a nationwide ban on the use of cell phones and text messaging devices while driving.

The recommendation is the most far-reaching yet by the National Transportation Safety Board, which in the past 10 years has increasingly sought to limit the use of portable electronic devices. It has recommended such bans for novice drivers, school bus drivers and commercial truckers.

The new recommendation, if adopted by states, would outlaw non-emergency phone calls and texting by operators of every vehicle on the road.

About time.

And the penalty should be the same as a DUI.

eh I don't know about that one

Overall I think this is a good idea and should happen. There is a small part of me that hates it due to the fact that I'm not a moron and know how to talk on a cell phone and drive just fine with no issue. Unfortunately most people cannot and I will get punished for it but its something I can live with "for the greater good"

Why not?

you want an arrest, vehicle impound, fines in the thousands of dollars, loss of license and whatever else I'm missing? Personally I find that excessive for a first or even 2nd offense. I would consider it on a 3rd strike type deal

Yes - it needs to be like DUI. It impairs the average person's driving to the same extent.

Strang that you would argue that you can drive just fine while talking on the phone... Two retorts...

1) How does the police office tell who is ok to drive while on the phone and who is not? He must observe evidence of distration? That's what we have now, and it doesn't work.

2) There are forums full of people who will argue that THEY are ok to drive drunk because they are SO GOOD at driving sober that all they need to do is "be aware that they are drunk" and be extra carful when driving drunk. That's a bucket of Horse Piss, quite frankly.

Why not?

6pt ticket, license suspension, huge fines, jail time.....for answering a phone call? really? whats next, felony charges for changing a radio station while driving? (for people without steering wheel controls)....there are plenty of things more distracting than answering a phone call, a DUI is from the second you get in the car to when you exit the car, very different than taking 30 seconds to answer a phone call.....and who is to judge if its an emergency? what if your wife calls you - you wont answer because its illegal, what if she needs help? or got injured or something? wouldnt you want to know right away....then if you answer to check, what if she is calling to ask what you want for dinner? you answered thinking it could be an emergency, when actually it isnt...now you deserve DUI type fines?

theres way too much gray area in this law to enforce such strict penalties

• Upvote 1

Yes - it needs to be like DUI. It impairs the average person's driving to the same extent.

Strang that you would argue that you can drive just fine while talking on the phone... Two retorts...

1) How does the police office tell who is ok to drive while on the phone and who is not? He must observe evidence of distration? That's what we have now, and it doesn't work.

2) There are forums full of people who will argue that THEY are ok to drive drunk because they are SO GOOD at driving sober that all they need to do is "be aware that they are drunk" and be extra carful when driving drunk. That's a bucket of Horse Piss, quite frankly.

1) Thats why I'm ok with, as I said. Most people can't drive well at full attention let alone distracted

2) Unfortunately, it is not a bucket of horse piss. Its real whether you want to believe it or not. But level of drunkeness is a different story

Also, how can a cop prove that I was using my Iphone and not my Ipod? What about facebook and twitter apps? I often use my Iphone for GPS so is that gonna be illegal too?

I'm not wholly opposed to it but these are legit questions that I run into on a daily basis

Also, how can a cop prove that I was using my Iphone and not my Ipod? What about facebook and twitter apps? I often use my Iphone for GPS so is that gonna be illegal too?

I'm not wholly opposed to it but these are legit questions that I run into on a daily basis

if the penalties were as strict as DUI requiring a court appearance - i assume they would subpoena cell phone companies for phone records to prove their case

if it was a slap on the wrist fine, they probably dont need proof and if you want to contest it in court bring your cell phone records that show you werent on the phone at the time of the stop

i know thats how they bust people for txting while driving in the case of serious accidents

you want an arrest, vehicle impound, fines in the thousands of dollars, loss of license and whatever else I'm missing? Personally I find that excessive for a first or even 2nd offense. I would consider it on a 3rd strike type deal

It only takes one instance to kill someone, same as a DUI. Honestly, I think most people drive better drunk than while texting.

I'm all for that level of punishment. The level of risk created is the same as DUI. I've seen far too many people driving past me on the bike staring at their crotches while driving. I've had to swerve away from one too many texting teenager to be happy with the satus quo.

The issues become proving that they were SENDING a text, or READING a tex. RECEIVING a text is not enough. We would need to empower the police officer to choose to arrest if he/she feels there's probable cause to believe the cellphone was being used illegally. But also we need to provide an easy mechanism for a prosecutor to subpoena an abstract of cellphone usage for the 5 surrounding the alleged offense. Any calls (that were not on handsfree) and any SENT text would be proof enough for conviction.

6pt ticket, license suspension, huge fines, jail time.....for answering a phone call? really? whats next, felony charges for changing a radio station while driving? (for people without steering wheel controls)....there are plenty of things more distracting than answering a phone call, a DUI is from the second you get in the car to when you exit the car, very different than taking 30 seconds to answer a phone call.....and who is to judge if its an emergency? what if your wife calls you - you wont answer because its illegal, what if she needs help? or got injured or something? wouldnt you want to know right away....then if you answer to check, what if she is calling to ask what you want for dinner? you answered thinking it could be an emergency, when actually it isnt...now you deserve DUI type fines?

theres way too much gray area in this law to enforce such strict penalties

DUI's in Ohio are an M1. The MAXIMUM penalty (for 1st offense) is 6pts, 6mos in jail, $1,000 fine, 1yr license suspension. Not sure about you, but I've never met someone who got the max on their first offense. Most people I know who've gotten a DUI had 1yr license suspension, two nights at an alcohol shindig with other DUI'ers, 6pts, and a $500~ fine. Do I think that's fair for texters? Fuck yeah.

DUI's in Ohio are an M1. The MAXIMUM penalty (for 1st offense) is 6pts, 6mos in jail, $1,000 fine, 1yr license suspension. Not sure about you, but I've never met someone who got the max on their first offense. Most people I know who've gotten a DUI had 1yr license suspension, two nights at an alcohol shindig with other DUI'ers, and a small fine. Do I think that's fair for texters? Fuck yeah.

txting and phone calls are being rolled into the same category with this law - what about my example about the phone call? if you get a phone call from your kid or your wife, wouldnt you answer it? i would. you never know when it will be an emergency. and if its not that time, should you still receive impound, 6pts, 1yr license suspension, two nights at a txting rehab program, and a "small (pay for court costs, 2 day program, attorney to not get fucked, license reinstatement, ticket, and the fine itself...well over a grand total)" fine?

I'm all for that level of punishment. The level of risk created is the same as DUI. I've seen far too many people driving past me on the bike staring at their crotches while driving. I've had to swerve away from one too many texting teenager to be happy with the satus quo.

The issues become proving that they were SENDING a text, or READING a tex. RECEIVING a text is not enough. We would need to empower the police officer to choose to arrest if he/she feels there's probable cause to believe the cellphone was being used illegally. But also we need to provide an easy mechanism for a prosecutor to subpoena an abstract of cellphone usage for the 5 surrounding the alleged offense. Any calls (that were not on handsfree) and any SENT text would be proof enough for conviction.

So guilty until proven innocent? WTF?

And the sent text thing goes right out window too, I can reply to a text with-out ever touching my phone or taking my eyes off the road.....

I am not condoning texting while driving, however, I think the govt is too involved anyway...

Sent from my iPhone using SIRI

• Upvote 1

:nono:

it can though. Should drinking water bottles in your car be an offense? My stepdad was rear ended by a guy a month ago who dropped his bottle cap on the floor. Reached down to get it and didnt see the light turn red and ran directly into my step dad

So guilty until proven innocent? WTF?

And the sent text thing goes right out window too, I can reply to a text with-out ever touching my phone or taking my eyes off the road.....

I am not condoning texting while driving, however, I think the govt is too involved anyway...

another EXACTLY! I have an iphone, it has speech to text which I use frequently while driving already