shotgun in vehicle

Simplysix

"If a firearm is at least 24 inches in overall length and if the barrel is at least 18 in in length, it must be in plain sight with the action open or the firearm must be stripped. If the firearm is of a type in which the action will not stay open or cannot easily be stripped, it must be in plain sight"

I'm currently in a CCW class lol straight outta the book

Ohio CHL has nothing to do with long guns. You cannot have a loaded long gun in the car at any time.

ORC2923.16

© No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

(K) As used in this section:

(5) “Unloaded” means any of the following:

(a) No ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question, without regard to where ammunition otherwise is located within the vehicle in question. For the purposes of division (K)(5)(a) of this section, ammunition held in stripper-clips or in en-bloc clips is not considered ammunition that is loaded into a magazine or speed loader.

(b) With respect to a firearm employing a percussion cap, flintlock, or other obsolete ignition system, when the weapon is uncapped or when the priming charge is removed from the pan.

Edited by chevysoldier

Keep it unloaded with the ammo seperate. Place the shotgun in the trunk, or other location that you have to exit the car to get at. If you have a vehicle that doesn't have a trunk (wagon) then place the shotgun as far back as you can get it. If you have a pickup then consult with a cop or attorney.

The intent of the law is to prevent someone from carrying a shotgun in a way that they can quickly access and use it.

Keep it unloaded with the ammo seperate. Place the shotgun in the trunk, or other location that you have to exit the car to get at. If you have a vehicle that doesn't have a trunk (wagon) then place the shotgun as far back as you can get it. If you have a pickup then consult with a cop or attorney.

The intent of the law is to prevent someone from carrying a shotgun in a way that they can quickly access and use it.

I thought if you had a pickup it aways went in the rear window rack:wtf:

• Upvote 1

im #2 on rolling thru the hood, shotgun loaded, racked, on dash & the foot on the gas as I had a house I was working on near a bad part & I woud roll thro the hood & the hooduls woud walk out in front of my truck in the road talk shit & I had no clue what thay was saying next time I rolled thro the hood 12ga on dash & when thay started to walk in street I hit the gas to see who was chicken & thay was running as thay called me a bich no one from that day walked in front of my truck on that street

Edited by marlboro man