No Bowl game for OSU Next season

buxnut

"* Strip four more football scholarships over the next three years on top of Ohio State’s prior forfeiture of five scholarships over that span. * Add an additional year of probation to OSU’s self-imposed two-year probation for the football program, meaning any violations through the 2013 season could draw harsher-than-normal penalties."

I dont think not having a post season for a year will hurt recruiting to much, its only a year away and kids that want to play for Urban will get over that. However, loosing the scholarships could hurt a little

sucks for the juniors this year.

if a bowl is that big of a deal, then they can just redshirt :)

Lets face it, OSU would be a long shot to make a BCS game next year so they get a ban from some shitty bowl game that doesn't matter. In this process they can play the touted recruits and get Braxton Miller and the rest of the team into Urban's system for the following year for a BCS title run

:wtf: seems like a little more than a slap on the wrist to me!

for as much shit they were caught doing plus the other stuff while under investigation, this is hardly an punishment at all if you ask me.

USC got a 3 year bowl ban and lost more scholarships over 5 years I think for the Reggie Bush ordeal. That was just one guy, OSU's scandal involved several players and the coach

From Wikipedia, but I didn't know this

"Ohio State is one of only three universities (the University of Michigan and the University of California at Berkeley being the others) to have won national championships in all three major men's sports (baseball, men's basketball, and football)"

pretty cool stat

Ouch. That seems pretty freaking harsh for some tattoos. Yet nothing happened to Cam Newton who's father tried selling him for $200,000 to Mississippi State. NCAA is really screwing the pooch on this one.

the problem wasn't JUST the tattoos. It was the coverup and everything that it led to PLUS the other shit that happened during the investigation

I maintain this is an insanely light punishment. Again, look at the case of Reggie Bush and USC

the problem wasn't JUST the tattoos. It was the coverup and everything that it led to PLUS the other shit that happened during the investigation

I maintain this is an insanely light punishment. Again, look at the case of Reggie Bush and USC

the reggie bush case had agents and much more money involved.

As far as the sanctions, the only thing that sucks is they took this long to apply it. Would of been nice to be able to apply the bowl ban to this season's bowl.

Like Sandusky raping little boys? Like Reggie Bush and his family receiving hundreds of thousands of dollars in gifts, perks, cash, etc? Come on man, they traded some of their memorabilia for some tattoos. :nono:

And insanely light? Dude, USC got 4yrs suspension, 30 football scholarships taken away over three years, 2yrs bowl ineligible, and forfeited the wins Reggie played in. OSU got 3yrs suspension, 9 football scholarships taken away over three years, 1yr bowl ineligible, and Tressel was given a show-cause penalty. And we're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars to one player vs maybe a couple thousand spread over 5-10 players' tattoos.

The only reason it wasn't worse was supposedly a key witness refused to cooperate with the NCAA. I full well believe that its a light punishment and they got lucky. I hardly doubt it will effect them the way USC plummeted for a couple years.

I purposely didn't mention PSU because its way worse and not on the same plane as taking money. In the end, OSU broke the rules and has to pay for it now so big deal its only one year. Especially a year that I doubt a BCS bowl was in the cards

The only reason it wasn't worse was supposedly a key witness refused to cooperate with the NCAA. I full well believe that its a light punishment and they got lucky. I hardly doubt it will effect them the way USC plummeted for a couple years.

I purposely didn't mention PSU because its way worse and not on the same plane as taking money. In the end, OSU broke the rules and has to pay for it now so big deal its only one year. Especially a year that I doubt a BCS bowl was in the cards

Hundreds of thousands of dollars vs free tattoos.

Hundreds of thousands of dollars vs free tattoos.

again if it was just free tattoos it would've been a completely different story. However, it wasn't that simple. I guess I just consider it light because I highly doubt its going to effect them in the long run at all. Rules are rules and they knowingly broke A LOT of them. Do I think some of those rules are bullshit? Absolutely! But it is what it is in my book

Ouch. That seems pretty freaking harsh for some tattoos. Yet nothing happened to Cam Newton who's father tried selling him for $200,000 to Mississippi State. NCAA is really screwing the pooch on this one.

And let's not forget the Florida stuff, one game suspension for getting caught with hookers and such!?!?!? I believe there was even pictures of these guys in lavish hotels smoking cigars and drinking!! your telling me the boosters that paid for that are differant than our boosters paying more for part time work than what the NCAA finds appropriate!?!?!?

again if it was just free tattoos it would've been a completely different story. However, it wasn't that simple. I guess I just consider it light because I highly doubt its going to effect them in the long run at all. Rules are rules and they knowingly broke A LOT of them. Do I think some of those rules are bullshit? Absolutely! But it is what it is in my book

Don't waste your time with those silly concepts called rules and logic. The homer is strong with some folks in this thread.

AND failure to report- the second deadliest sin to the NCAA.

Again...the homer's (not all OSU fans) will gloss over that little fact and just go back to the 'tat' vs $$ argument. This is about MORE than just getting tats..it's about the failure to report it, the cover ups, the REPEATED infractions even AFTER the initial story broke, etc.

If you ask me, OSU got off easy. And I think Tressel, appropriately, will find it hard to coach in college football again. Not that he wants to...he's going to the pros most likely. But, this type of thing has always followed him...let's not be naive.

AND failure to report- the second deadliest sin to the NCAA.
Again...the homer's (not all OSU fans) will gloss over that little fact and just go back to the 'tat' vs $$ argument. This is about MORE than just getting tats..it's about the failure to report it, the cover ups, the REPEATED infractions even AFTER the initial story broke, etc.

If you ask me, OSU got off easy. And I think Tressel, appropriately, will find it hard to coach in college football again. Not that he wants to...he's going to the pros most likely. But, this type of thing has always followed him...let's not be naive.

I'm certainly not saying OSU is innocent. I'm saying the punishment is excessive compared to other instances of NCAA violations that have occurred recently. But everyone hates OSU, so it's easy for them to put the smack down excessively.

For the record, "failure to report" isn't the reason the NCAA issued the additional penalties. "Failure to monitor" is.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2011-12-20/ohio-state-cited-failure-monitor

However, in July, the NCAA said they wouldn't charge OSU with "failure to monitor".

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2011/07/22/ncaa-ohio-state-violations.html

PS: If you really think Tressel is guilty and didn't report it up the food chain, why do you think they changed his resignation to a full retirement? And they waived his $250,000 fine and instead paid him through June? You don't hook up someone who's such an embarrassment to the college. You hook up the guy who took the fall for everyone else to avoid a larger issue. Just my two cents. I stand by Tressel and the team.