No Bowl game for OSU Next season

buxnut

for as much shit they were caught doing plus the other stuff while under investigation, this is hardly an punishment at all if you ask me.

USC got a 3 year bowl ban and lost more scholarships over 5 years I think for the Reggie Bush ordeal. That was just one guy, OSU's scandal involved several players and the coach

Are you joking? USC involved HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of dollars...this amounts to a few thousand dollars for 5 players.....who were cought selling their own property...

Like Sandusky raping little boys? Like Reggie Bush and his family receiving hundreds of thousands of dollars in gifts, perks, cash, etc? Come on man, they traded some of their memorabilia for some tattoos. :nono:

And insanely light? Dude, USC got 4yrs suspension, 30 football scholarships taken away over three years, 2yrs bowl ineligible, and forfeited the wins Reggie played in. OSU got 3yrs suspension, 9 football scholarships taken away over three years, 1yr bowl ineligible, and Tressel was given a show-cause penalty. And we're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars to one player vs maybe a couple thousand spread over 5-10 players' tattoos.

There was more than trading stuff for tattoos. The fact that there were lies being spread around and jacking the NCAA, they got off pretty light. Reggie's deal was a LOT more money and more issues with what was going on there...

The OSU deal is a total cover up and frankly, I am amazed that the AD is still on board. Guess getting rid of Tres helped him out, but honestly, he should be thankful he still has a job.

Lies and more lies gets you in deep...

The Penn State deal will have some consequences once it is done in court. However, the deal on that is that the school nuked the whole program and got rid of everyone. That will help their cause for sure and what OSU should have done straight away.

My only issue is that they got to go to two bowls. Last year and this year. Trying to be fair according to Gene is bullshit. They are screwing the kids on the team that will be seniors next season...

Bottom line is that they got off light.

I'm certainly not saying OSU is innocent. I'm saying the punishment is excessive compared to other instances of NCAA violations that have occurred recently. But everyone hates OSU, so it's easy for them to put the smack down excessively.

For the record, "failure to report" isn't the reason the NCAA issued the additional penalties. "Failure to monitor" is.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2011-12-20/ohio-state-cited-failure-monitor

However, in July, the NCAA said they wouldn't charge OSU with "failure to monitor".

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2011/07/22/ncaa-ohio-state-violations.html

PS: If you really think Tressel is guilty and didn't report it up the food chain, why do you think they changed his resignation to a full retirement? And they waived his $250,000 fine and instead paid him through June? You don't hook up someone who's such an embarrassment to the college. You hook up the guy who took the fall for everyone else to avoid a larger issue. Just my two cents. I stand by Tressel and the team.

Oh, and what Tres did and what his background had been - he got off fairly easy. I think his NCAA punishment is fitting. Lie to the NCAA and you get fucked hard. It's like telling lies to a judge and then they find out you did. Think they'd be pissed? I believe so...

I also like what they did to Bobbie Dousche. He KNEW he was doing wrong by paying those kids. He got a fitting penalty...

Are you joking? USC involved HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of dollars...this amounts to a few thousand dollars for 5 players.....who were cought selling their own property...

It isn't their property either. They have strict rules about this whole thing while they are players. It is a rule, in black and white and spoken about constantly as athletes. If they sold them AFTER they left the school, sure. But, during the years they are players, it is a violation of what the NCAA states very clearly.

However, in July, the NCAA said they wouldn't charge OSU with "failure to monitor".

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2011/07/22/ncaa-ohio-state-violations.html

PS: If you really think Tressel is guilty and didn't report it up the food chain, why do you think they changed his resignation to a full retirement? And they waived his $250,000 fine and instead paid him through June? You don't hook up someone who's such an embarrassment to the college. You hook up the guy who took the fall for everyone else to avoid a larger issue. Just my two cents. I stand by Tressel and the team.

Yes that was before the other allegations came out. I believe it was August when Boom and Posey got hit with additonal punishment and that was when they levied the Failure to Monitor. I could have the timing wrong though. I refuse to place all the blame on any one person, as I've said before it was the fault of many students, coaches and administrators. Yes, I do believe they had to make someone the bad guy and Tressel was the easiest. I'll bet any money Gene Smith is next

please refer to cheech's quote below for part 1. The amount of money is negligble, its HOW MANY RULES WERE BROKEN is the problem. I do agree its bullshit they can't sell their own property however its a rule they willingly agree to so to me thats no excuse. I don't like the rule and don't think it should be one however it is so now they have to deal with that

The cover-up is worse than the crime.

:cheers:

The cover-up is worse than the crime.

Also in regards to this, use the Penn State example. Had they reported and taken care of the situation and not covered it up at that point there probably would've been very little fallout other than Sandusky losing his job and being prosecuted. Instead they cover up that situation and Paterno and McQuery lose their jobs, the program is gonna take a big hit in recruiting and thats even before any NCAA sanctions.

I spent 8 years at OSU during the Woody years. Been a Buckeye since I was old enough to say "Go Bucks!" The one good thing that hopefully will come out of this can be summed up in 3 words, "FIRE GENE SMITH!" Why the man who is ultimately responsible for this debacle still has his job is beyond belief.

• Upvote 1

Ouch. That seems pretty freaking harsh for some tattoos. Yet nothing happened to Cam Newton who's father tried selling him for $200,000 to Mississippi State. NCAA is really screwing the pooch on this one.

Yep, Cam sure skated while others got hammered. Its all about da money//\\....errr the game. :rolleyes:

Not everyone hates OSU. Come on. OSU and the vest got caught. REPEATEDLY. Be made at the supposed 'compliance' department and the coach...not at the NCAA and everyone else.

You play....you pay. When you get caught..you fess up. That didn't happen.

As a coach you either teach a behavior...or you allow it.

Yep, Cam sure skated while others got hammered. Its all about da money//\\....errr the game. :rolleyes:

Well, at least we were not cheating......you know, trying to gain a competitive advantage over the other schools.....like trying to practice more than the other schools.

Yep, it could have been worse, one of our players could have been caught jerking off on someone's porch...

The issue is that there needs to be proof and there needs to be a situation where students have violated rules and regulations. Like or hate it, the Cam deal had no real proof that he was courted and that he benefited or was approached in any way.

Just because his deadbeat dad talked and was doing shit means nothing... It does, but if Cam denies and the school denies and there isn't a lick of proof, it doesn't mean much.

BUT, that being said, look at the Reggie deal... YEARS later and USC pays for it... Well, Reggie did also, but you see what I am saying. It can still come around and blow up...

Not everyone hates OSU. Come on. OSU and the vest got caught. REPEATEDLY. Be made at the supposed 'compliance' department and the coach...not at the NCAA and everyone else.

These comments are the bottom line. Well put, sir!

Well, at least we were not cheating......you know, trying to gain a competitive advantage over the other schools.....like trying to practice more than the other schools.

Yep, it could have been worse, one of our players could have been caught jerking off on someone's porch...

Here's teh deal. There are rules. Small, large and in between... whatever the rules, they violated a bunch and then they lied. Simple...

Practicing more being a competitive edge? And recruiting players based on promises of $$ and free gifts isn't? If not..then you have never been exposed to college recruiting. I have. I know what gets thrown out there to these HS seniors and it DOES make a difference when they know they can go to a certain school and get certain perks right off the rip. Get real.

email to the students

News Statement by Gene Smith on NCAA Sanctions

The Ohio State University today received the NCAA's ruling regarding violations involving its football program. Following a 12-month investigation conducted jointly by the NCAA and the University, the NCAA levied sanctions beyond those self-imposed by the university. Among the penalties Ohio State had self-imposed was a loss of five scholarships; the NCAA imposed a nine-scholarship penalty, three during each of the next three years. Additionally, the NCAA has imposed a three-year probation and a post-season ban for the coming year.

"We are surprised and disappointed with the NCAA's decision," said Gene Smith, Ohio State's Athletics Director and Associate Vice President. "However, we have decided not to appeal the decision because we need to move forward as an institution. We recognize that this is a challenging time in intercollegiate athletics. Institutions of higher education must move to higher ground, and Ohio State embraces its leadership responsibilities and affirms its long-standing commitment to excellence in education and integrity in all it does.

"My primary concern, as always, is for our students, and this decision punishes future students for the actions of others in the past," said Smith. "Knowing our student-athletes, however, I have no doubt in their capacity to turn this into something positive – for themselves and for the institution. I am grateful to our entire Buckeye community for their continued support."

Smith noted that President E. Gordon Gee and the university's Board of Trustees are in the process of concluding their examination of compliance at the university as part of a larger effort to develop a comprehensive, state-of-the-art model for the entire institution, including the athletics program. "All of us at Ohio State are determined to ensure that our compliance programs and protocols are best in class," said Smith. "We will assume a leadership role in representing our university and its values.

"It is important to remember that Ohio State has one of the nation's largest self supporting athletics programs, with students succeeding both in competition and in the classroom," said Smith. "We have more than 1,000 students who compete in 36 intercollegiate sports, and the overall grade-point average of our student-athletes is just over 3.0. During the last two years, the University has had more student-athletes named to the Academic All-Big Ten Team than any other school. Further, Ohio State finished second in last year's Directors' Cup, which recognizes the best athletics programs in the country."

Documents related to Ohio State's NCAA investigation can be found at http://www.osu.edu/news/ncaadocs/.

From Wikipedia, but I didn't know this

"Ohio State is one of only three universities (the University of Michigan and the University of California at Berkeley being the others) to have won national championships in all three major men's sports (baseball, men's basketball, and football)"

pretty cool stat

Throw in men's volleyball as well! And fuck Gene Smith, he is a guilty 2 faced prick that knew about all that was going on. Tressel took the fall plain and simple, he only did what he was told to do. Smith will be there for as long as he wants to be, and there are several reasons why.

Edited by Pokey

The whole concept of this seems flawed to me. You punish the people involved in the incident, not the whole school and the people doing the right thing.

I DGF about OSU football, but I don't like the concept of how the NCAA punishes the masses for the actions of a few. If a kid at the school I work at cheats on a test that individual gets a consequence, not the entire class.

How about they work cooperatively with the NFL and come up with some concrete consequences. Pryor did have some consequence with not being allowed to be in the draft or whatever, but ultimately it didn't really seem to have any real consequence IMO. If you take the R. Bush incident, nothing happened to him via the NFL. Clearly the NFL has a vested interest in collegiate sports help them create an infrastructure to truly detour student athletes from breaking the rules however dumb they may be.

Practicing more being a competitive edge? And recruiting players based on promises of $$ and free gifts isn't? If not..then you have never been exposed to college recruiting. I have. I know what gets thrown out there to these HS seniors and it DOES make a difference when they know they can go to a certain school and get certain perks right off the rip. Get real.

Again...the homer's (not all OSU fans) will gloss over that little fact and just go back to the 'tat' vs $$ argument. This is about MORE than just getting tats..it's about the failure to report it, the cover ups, the REPEATED infractions even AFTER the initial story broke, etc.

If you ask me, OSU got off easy. And I think Tressel, appropriately, will find it hard to coach in college football again. Not that he wants to...he's going to the pros most likely. But, this type of thing has always followed him...let's not be naive.

Don't waste your time with those silly concepts called rules and logic. The homer is strong with some folks in this thread.

Michigan Sucks!

Shut the fuck up and go back into hiding!

This thread is for white guys from Ohio, it's not for black homers from Michigan.

Michigan Sucks!

No shit... Seems a little rough on a new coach coming through the door as well.

I guess he gave an interview this morning. He's pissed. Supposedly OSU and the NCAA assured him there wouldn't be additional penalties. Not sure how true this is. Heard it on the radio on my way into work.

It isn't their property either. They have strict rules about this whole thing while they are players. It is a rule, in black and white and spoken about constantly as athletes. If they sold them AFTER they left the school, sure. But, during the years they are players, it is a violation of what the NCAA states very clearly.

It is their property, 100%. If you win an award, it's yours, right? But you are right about there being rules. They aren't allowed to sell anything they get from playing. They can't make any money whatsoever from the sport. But it was their property, and the question has been raised whether the NCAA rule is even legal.

I guess he gave an interview this morning. He's pissed. Supposedly OSU and the NCAA assured him there wouldn't be additional penalties. Not sure how true this is. Heard it on the radio on my way into work.

Which is the reason why he took the job.

Be careful what you wish for with Meyer. He was obviously the best pick for OSU..but when things aren't going his way 100pct or the odds don't favor him....he likes to run. Or have mystery illnesses pop up.

Anyone have a link to that interview?

Edited by InyaAzz