New to me rifle

speedytriple

So I picked up my new to me bolt gun that I have been waiting for to round out my gun collection. It is a stevens model 200 30-06. Should be a good field/hunting rifle. I know they are not know to be the best bolt gun out there but whatever it will shoot straight enough for me. I replaced the scope and ring that were on it with a set of weaver quad lock high mount rings and a banner 3x9x40 scope. It had a bipod on it when I got it. The only other thing I added was a nice padded sling. My plan was to keep this gun on a budget. The scope was on sale and with a score card I got it from dicks for $72. The glass is nice for the price, and it has a slick eye focus ring on the back of it.

Pic of my k.i.s.s. gun.

picture.php?albumid=1111&pictureid=15076

FYI, It's basically a less expensive Savage. You could eventually build that into a decent LR rig if you so desired. They sell pre-fit match barrels that you can basically put on at home, no gunsmith required (provided you can use a set of go/no go gauges).

Thanks Tom. I have been looking into aftermarket parts some. How hard would it be to turn this into a .308?

You would need to procure an action wrench, a set of head-space gauges and a new barrel. A few friends have done it and it isn't too big of a deal. That is the major upside to the savage action vs the remington.

FYI this will be a slippery slope. First a barrel, then a stock, then new mounts/rings, new scope, new trigger, etc.... You'll eventually spend more than you have in your AR. I literally had a 2 hour discussion with R1douchenozzle on this very topic tonight.

Lol not looking to make a serious rig out of it. Just want a better trigger for now. But still wish it were a 308 just for the cheaper ammo. If it can get a inch group at 100-300 yards i'd be ok with that.

In that case, you might be able to find a sporter weight take off barrel from someone upgrading for ~$50

So quick range review. Took it to a indoor range just to get some rounds down range and start to get the scope zeroed. First time shooting a 30-06 let me say it kicks a little. Not bad but more then I though it would. Used some of the winchester soft point ammo to sight in the scope at 75 feet. I figure this will help when I take it outdoors to get me on paper faster. Shot a total of 20 rounds out of it. Like the banner scope that i put on for a cheap scope it has ok glass and the focus ring is nice. The trigger is pretty decent on it after i turned the screw out to adjust it some. Grouped nicely, for a cheap rifle with a cheap scope I am happy with it. Hope to get outside and see what it will do at 100-200 yards.

Originally Posted by walther_gsp

(provided you can use a set of go/no go gauges).

BeenGreenStrings

Being the key to that whole statement.

And if you cant, You shouldnt be around firearms.

Bolt either closes and functions, or doesnt close, (Go/No Go)