i signed up for a job fair.

RSparky

it's at my school. There will be companies like AK Steel, GE, Air Force Institute of Technology, WPAFB, Ball Aerospace, etc etc. I'd be looking for a coop or internship or something I can do alongside school.

I plan to make an appointment with an advisor at school to go over my resume, but figured there's a big group of semi-professional men who work in places like these already... I might as well ask for advice here. So...

Anyone wanna have a go at my resume? It aint special. I'm a poor college kid. But I'm sure I can improve something anyway. :D

Any other tips from the pros?

Check out my resume. Its nothing fancy, in fact it could probably use some tweaks as well so feel free to give me some feedback on it guys. But it is what I have used for years and it seems to do the job.

This resume was modified for a position I am applying for when ever my boss opens it up, I typically tailor my resumes slightly for each position I am applying for. The additional part at the bottom is usually what I change and is where I put relevant experience and info pertaining to the job I am applying for. I also change the objective at the top to match the job title. Most people like to just make a generic resume and use it for multiple positions but I found by doing this I can stand out a little for each job I am looking at rather than having either too much info to make sure I cover all bases or not enough info because not every thing pertains to every job and just looks cluttered.

I also attached a cover letter. This is a must for any professional position in my opinion. Your resume is probably going to look very similar to 10 other people that are applying for the job. You need a brief way to tell the hiring manager who you are and to make him interested enough to bring you in for an interview where you can go further into your experience. Try to keep each to 1 page because if it is too long, they will not want to read the entire thing and really the interview is where you want to pull out the big guns and go into detail, the resume is just the ticket to get into the door.

Edited by JStump

One page, no more. I would barely give it a look if it were longer, especially at your age.

No offense intended at all.

Shave, wash and comb your hair for interviews, iron your clothes, and if you have any piercings/earrings, leave them at home.

Study up on the company(ies) you get an interview with. Know what they do, their competitors.

What can you do for me? What do you bring to the table that makes you better than the 50 others that want this position?

Even if you don't get "the one" that you think you wanted, make the most of it: Be on time, work hard, do whatever is asked of you (within reason, of course), cultivate the person whose job you want when you graduate.

Even in this economy, if you are a good intern, there's a very good chance that there will be a job for you when you graduate.

So, even though it's "just an internship", treat it as though it's the best job ever.

Work hard, I guarantee it will pay off both in the short and long term.

* edit: PLEASE have someone check your spelling and your grammar, maybe an English prof or grad student.

For any interview you're granted, a follow-up letter, hand signed, is absolutely necessary.

As jstump noted, a cover letter, hand signed, is needed, and tailor, as much as possible, your resume' and cover letter for each position.

Edited by jblosser

Send me your resume, ill take a look at it. I didnt think the base was still hiring coops/interns. I know AFRL had to release almost everyone due to the budget cuts. Im not sure how I feel about an AFIT intern, not sure what they do besides grad bitches for all the instructors.

1 pg hard copy resumes is a must with your level of experience. However, for your scannable simple text resume, make that shit as long as possible with as much info as possible utilizing key words and phrases.

PM me for my email.

Everything that jblosser said is dead on... and, make sure that you emphasize activities that you are able to do as a team and as an individual. my resume has things like "worked on a team to accomplish..." and "lead a team...." and "worked individually to..." and I think it really helps.

Well, my .doc file was too big to just use as an attachment. So here's an ugly unformatted version. It is basically straight from a Word template anyway.

Feel free to bash as you see fit. I know I'm bad at this...

Robert Sparks

address

phone

rsrsparks@gmail.com

OBJECTIVE

To obtain a part-time position that will provide work experience, and promote an active college career.

SKILLS PROFILE

• Load out and stock equipment operators

• Excellent customer service

• Mechanically inclined

EMPLOYMENT HISTORY September 2009-September 2011

Archive Aid

National Archives and Records Administration Federal Record Center

3150 Springboro Rd. Dayton, OH 45439

• Handling and transfer of Federal documents

• Request, re-file and relocate IRS documents and boxes

Inventory Set-up and Assembler June 2009-September 2009

Wal-mart

8800 Kingsridge Dr. Dayton, OH 45458

• Responsible for inventory management and set up

• Assist department managers with merchandise arrangements and displays

• Check and order inventory

• Identify Defects and schedule returns

Cashier/Carryout December 2005-August 2008

Dorothy Lane Market

740 N. Main St. Springboro, OH 45066

• Sincere and pliable customer service

• Cashiered, bagged and pushed groceries out for customers

Maintenance/Technician 2006-current

Real World Systems

3485 Springboro Rd. Lebanon, OH 45036

• Assemble and test chemical feed systems

• Model prints of foam generating boxes with Solidworks and Turbocad

• Perform general upkeep of the shop

EDUCATION

Diploma 2008

Miamisburg High School, OH

B.S. (in progress) 2008-current

Wright State University

REFERENCES

Guy I work for.

Guy I used to work for.

Dad I work for when he gets big orders in.

dude your resume needs some work to be honest.

If you have a cover letter, leave off the objectives. Leave off the references also, dont put a generic "will provide..." bullet. The companies know its obvious that if they want references theyll ask.

Youre an engineer and nothing in your resume screams engineering. Whats S/W are you familiar with, programming languages, apps, etc. Highlight classes youve taken that the company may take interest in, ie engineering classes.

Take out the cashier position at DLM. This doesnt apply to any engr career field, esp if thats what youre looking to get into. Thisll free up space to talk about what youve actually studied in engineering.

And where is your GPA?

Edited by ohdaho

software, i've used matlab, turbocad, and solidworks. Had a class for each. How would you list that? The best programming I can do is very basic.

None of my jobs really pertain to engineering except one. And even then, all I really do is drill holes and plumb pipes...

Do I not even have enough experience to get a job to get experience? fail.

software, i've used matlab, turbocad, and solidworks. Had a class for each. How would you list that? The best programming I can do is very basic.

None of my jobs really pertain to engineering except one. And even then, all I really do is drill holes and plumb pipes...

No your other jobs are fine. Atleast they were gov related or showed you had some inkling of wtf you were doing mechanically. Basic is better than nothing, you've got to be pretty liberal when it comes to the resume...esp being a newb.

ill change up your word doc and take it off forum.

The point is that you may have bombed your first yr, but if you show huge progression thats a great speaking point...if brought up. You would just have to annotate the GPA if its modified on your resume.

Im around this weekend if you want to take some time to sit down and go over your resume. I frequent the starbucks quite often if youre free.

Since as you've said you have no relevant job experience, your educational experience should be the focus of your resume. And don't worry, at this point in your career you don't need job experience to get a co-op/internship position, what you have is potential.

I didn't even realize you were engineering looking at that resume you posted, let alone mechanical. List your school with Bachelor of Science - Mechanical Engineering and the date you plan to achieve that degree - i.e. "Expected Spring 2014" or whatever. List any actual engineering classes you've taken thus far under "Relevant Coursework" or something. List stuff like Solidworks, Matlab, Excel, Word, whatever under "Related Skills" or something. I wouldn't put a GPA on there under 3.0 - they'll probably ask at some point and you can explain your situation then.

List the jobs underneath that. Even if you would consider them irrelevant, we learn something in everything we do, and it shows you have a history of being responsible enough to be employed.

Just some random comments. Personally my resume sucks - it's just a list of degrees and job descriptions. Someone in a hiring position could give you much better details on how to gussy it up with all the buzzwords and key phrases and whatnot.

One page, no more. I would barely give it a look if it were longer, especially at your age.

No offense intended at all.

Shave, wash and comb your hair for interviews, iron your clothes, and if you have any piercings/earrings, leave them at home.

Study up on the company(ies) you get an interview with. Know what they do, their competitors.

What can you do for me? What do you bring to the table that makes you better than the 50 others that want this position?

Even if you don't get "the one" that you think you wanted, make the most of it: Be on time, work hard, do whatever is asked of you (within reason, of course), cultivate the person whose job you want when you graduate.

Even in this economy, if you are a good intern, there's a very good chance that there will be a job for you when you graduate.

So, even though it's "just an internship", treat it as though it's the best job ever.

Work hard, I guarantee it will pay off both in the short and long term.

* edit: PLEASE have someone check your spelling and your grammar, maybe an English prof or grad student.

For any interview you're granted, a follow-up letter, hand signed, is absolutely necessary.

As jstump noted, a cover letter, hand signed, is needed, and tailor, as much as possible, your resume' and cover letter for each position.

+1 /EndThread

Another thing - assuming you like to go out with the fellas and have a pop or two, save that for Friday and Saturday - I don't want a hungover intern in the office, makes a bad impression.

And when I said "be on time", I really meant be early. If work starts at 8, be there at 7:45, 7:50. By the time your coat's off, computer's on, and you're settled in, it's 8:00.

As an intern, you're trying to learn how an office works, trying to meet people/network, learning some skills, but most of all it's basically a 3 month audition.