12 gauge rounds

Howabusa

What do you think 1 round of birdshot, 2rounds of00 Buck, 1 slug, and 2 more rounds of 00buck will do. :dunno: if that doesn't work I keep the AR loaded with probably 6 plus mags. I wont stop shooting until they stop coming. The wife will empty her shotgun too I'm sure.

00 buck and slugs, yeah will stop someone more than likely. Birdshot, probably not. By your thoughts, I should load my .40 with those little bird shot bullets, whatever they are called, followed by JHP. Why even put one round of birdshot in there then if your just gonna follow it with 00 and slugs? Just like LE and military aren't gonna load birdshot in their shotguns either.

I already said why I do it.

A. To slow them down

B.wound multiple targets

If someone comes in I will sit at the top of my stairs with either AR or shotgun and XDM. If I was going to chase them or look through the house yea first round would be 00buck. If my family is all upstairs I would probably grab the AR anyway.

If someone breaks in my home and I have to use my weapon I highly doubt I will only shoot one round. If I was using a single shot or double barrel I would see your point.

Are you only going to shoot once?

I plan to shoot until the threat is no longer a threat

If someone breaks in my home and I have to use my weapon I highly doubt I will only shoot one round. If I was using a single shot or double barrel I would see your point.

Are you only going to shoot once?

I plan to shoot until the threat is no longer a threat

You just said you're going to use the bird shot to slow them down. You said you only have one round of bird shot. So if you're going to fire multiple times then why even load one round of bird shot followed by 00? That's pointless.

Like you said, the idea is to stop the threat. If bird shot is only going to maybe slow a threat, why even waste the space in the gun with it? What if you miss with other rounds? The spread of a shot gun isn't going to be all that much inside a home, chances are you will not hit two intruders with one round. If you try to with bird shot, they might only get a couple of pellets, like you had shot them with a bb gun, and they had better be standing shoulder to shoulder.

NM, I realize you step trying to sway me, but I don't see it working. I will be at the top of the stairs approximately 10 steps if they cross the steps they will be hit.

It's just that none of the reasons you have said about loading one round of bird shot seems valid to me and you haven't given me any reason to think otherwise.

Birdshot wont give a bigger pattern :dunno:

To your credit I may consider another lead round other than birdshot. What would be a good compromise? Something that will give me a bigger pattern than buckshot, but more stopping power than birdshot?

Edited by crb

Birdshot wont give a bigger pattern :dunno:

Not by much and not at the range you'll be at in a home. And at distance it will not have any power behind it. Take some birdshot and 00 buck and go to the range. Check shot patterns at ~6ft and back. See what you get.

To your credit I may consider another lead round other than birdshot. What would be a good compromise? Something that will give me a bigger pattern than buckshot, but more stopping power than birdshot?

I don't see much point in anything other than 00 and slugs. I don't like the idea of mixing 00 and slugs because when your engaging the threat, you're not gonna remember what round you're on and if the next round is 00 or a slug. I would load all 00 and keep 00 and slugs on a side saddle so that you can switch if need be.

At range inside a home with cylinder bore, spread is going to be negligible. You could go with buckshot that will have a few more pellets; 16 pellets 1 Buck, 12 pellets 0 Buck, 8 pellets 00 Buck.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

Please read this also. It even goes into distances, shot pattern and spread along with how ineffective birdshot and even shot up towards #6 shot is against anything.

If you haven't seen that site before, read it. There are hours worth of real world testing with pistols, shotguns and rifles and most of it is very eye opening if not just plain cool.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/151704/hornady-critical-defense-ammunition-12-gauge-2-3-4-00-buckshot-box-of-10 this is what I primarily run, although I have a couple other brands.

I have a couple boxes of this.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/247620/nobelsport-law-enforcement-ammunition-12-gauge-2-3-4-00-buckshot-12-pellets-box-of-10

I have quite a few boxes of 3" Remington 00 Buck and an ammo can full of federal 2 3/4" 00buck I believe. I don't know why I chose hornsdy other than its what I primary use in my carry guns.

Edited by crb

Did I read that correctly they are recommending 2 3/4" over 3"?

I recommend the 2 3/4" rounds personally also. The recoil on a 3" round in a light weight shotgun is enough to hurt the shooter. I was shooting 3", 12 pellet 00buck from my Mossy and it was recoiling harder than any gun I own. I have some honest cannon grade rifles and found the recoil very unpleasant.:D

Edit, found the box. It was 12 pellet, not 15.

• Upvote 1

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

Please read this also. It even goes into distances, shot pattern and spread along with how ineffective birdshot and even shot up towards #6 shot is against anything.

If you haven't seen that site before, read it. There are hours worth of real world testing with pistols, shotguns and rifles and most of it is very eye opening if not just plain cool.

This link is much more convincing. I may have to reconsider, although I like having the slug in the mix. I have even practiced with it there, its how I have always loaded the shotgun so it doesn't surprise me. I think you guys won me over on the birdshot argument, with heavy clothes on you aren't going to get penetration. I will have to pick up some #1 also.

I concede Chevysoldier you were right I was wrong! :bow:

Edited by crb

This link is much more convincing. I may have to reconsider, although I like having the slug in the mix. I have even practiced with it there, its how I have always loaded the shotgun so it doesn't surprise me. I think you guys won me over on the birdshot argument, with heavy clothes on you aren't going to get penetration. I will have to pick up some #1 also.

I concede Chevysoldier you were right I was wrong! :bow:

lol All good man. :cheers:

• Upvote 1