12 gauge rounds

Howabusa

I keep birdshot loaded in the home defense shotgun. I'd prefer to not penetrate a wall and kill my kids with slug or 00 buck. For an all around (not just home defense) I would probably have to choose the 00 buck.

Any round that will NOT penetrate a wall will not penetrate a bad guy either. Besides, birdshot WILL penetrate multiple walls.

Birdshot is for birds. 00 buck is for bad guys.

I know alot of people load their home defense shotty with multiple types of rounds

Bird shot X2, 00buckX2, slugsX2.

You have a situation the birdshots up first. This may do the job.

If not and things escalate the buckshot is next.

Things get nasty? slugs devastate.

You may only get one shot. Make it count. I'm 00 buck all the way.

Birdshot for homedefense makes me nervous because of the pattern. Id be scared of my dog getting hit. However, I don't have kids so penetrating drywall isn't as much of a concern

At home defense range the pattern is still tiny. Even at 30 feet in a non-choked mossy 500 I get fist-sized patterns.

If Cheney could survive getting blasted by a friend with birdshot. What makes you think it will stop a criminal?

Cheney was never shot.

Cheney shot Harry Whittington while hunting quail. The range of the shot is a matter of debate with the official report stating 30-40 yards, while some have claimed the shot pattern indicates the shot was closer.

The victim was a 78 years old.

I do agree that if getting shot in the head by birdshot doesn't take down a 78-year-old attorney, then I wouldn't trust it take down a bad guy.

Edited by Scruit