How long do u take to clean?

idodishez

Watch the CLP if you get it in your eye it Burns like a mother, it also eats the finish off tables. :rolleyes:

Kinda like brake clean. In fact I've used brake clean to clean my revolver. You'd think you did major damage as much as that stuff stings. But it just takes away all the moisture. Great for getting stains out of carpet too:)

NoBama 2012

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I take great pleasure in cleaning my guns. Sitting down after an evening of shooting, cracking open that first beer, and smelling that mixture of solvent and gunpowder takes me to one of those happy-places. I'm not suggesting that anyone who doesn't do that is in some way harming their guns, but I enjoy it. Some guns are easier to clean than others. Fixed-barrels like my Walther PPK take much longer... 45 minutes or so. I can do Glocks in about 10 minutes or so. A gun with an external hammer will take a little longer to do it right. None of my guns require tools to strip, so that isn't an issue. Shotguns take 25 minutes or so, but that's because I obsess about making sure that the barrel is spotless when I hold it up to a light. I'm not as much of a fan about cleaning my rifles though. I don't strip down to barrel-removal and I hate running the patch down a closed pipe.

All time estimates are just guesses, though. I don't time myself nor do I particularly hurry.

Have I ever put a gun away dirty? Of course I have. In fact, the Glock digging into my side right now saw a little range time recently and didn't make it to the cleaning table... of course that was because I didn't want the wife to know that I did a little shooting when I should have been doing a little working.

Kinda like brake clean. In fact I've used brake clean to clean my revolver. You'd think you did major damage as much as that stuff stings. But it just takes away all the moisture. Great for getting stains out of carpet too:)

NoBama 2012

Be careful, most brake cleaner does bad things to plastic!

Be careful, most brake cleaner does bad things to plastic!

Not non-chlorinated brake cleaner, it is totally safe to use and works like a charm. I spray all over internally, and just blow out with an air hose. Put a dab of lube on the slide rails and I am good to go! My XD could care less whether I clean it or not, it goes bang regardless. Haven't owned my M&P long enough to say that yet, but I have a very good feeling it will be just as dependable.

Not non-chlorinated brake cleaner, it is totally safe to use and works like a charm. I spray all over internally, and just blow out with an air hose. Put a dab of lube on the slide rails and I am good to go! My XD could care less whether I clean it or not, it goes bang regardless. Haven't owned my M&P long enough to say that yet, but I have a very good feeling it will be just as dependable.

I clean my M&P, which is my duty weapon, after every time it's fired and every couple of weeks even if it isn't fired. I have never had a malfunction at ranges but I'm not willing to take the chance of not cleaning it; could end up being a bad day for me.

btw a cordless drill is great to clean with.

Oh god, Please dont, at least dont do it to a rifle or a precision built pistol.

The below is not aimed at you Pai2ks. Just general statement for all.

Like I said, Clean and lube the action but only mess with the barrel when accuracy starts to degrade!!!!

If you can tell when accuracy starts to degrade, practice your shooting skills more!

Anyone know of a good gunsmith that is somewhat local? I have a couple guns i would like "really cleaned" and one i would like to reblue. When i say "really" cleaned i would like my 1187 and my 870 tore down and internals cleaned meaning trigger and all, also have an Ithica Deer Slayer i would like cleaned and reblued, probably not the way to spell it but thats the best i can come up with on a Friday morning.

If youd get a Glock you wouldnt need to ask the bad guys to pause after each shot so you can clean it.

Makes a range day take forever too doesnt it

Not hardly. We had 4 out of 16 Glock 17s break at the range. Quality huh. :rolleyes: I trust my M&P more than a Glock.

Oh god, Please dont, at least dont do it to a rifle or a precision built pistol.

The below is not aimed at you Pai2ks. Just general statement for all.

Like I said, Clean and lube the action but only mess with the barrel when accuracy starts to degrade!!!!

If you can tell when accuracy starts to degrade, practice your shooting skills more!

I clean my barrel every time it's fired. Usually I just use a rag and lube and a wire brush isn't needed. I can clean my barrels in just a minute instead f waiting for it to build up and take longer, not to mention the chance of corrosion from letting the crap sit on it.

Anyone know of a good gunsmith that is somewhat local? I have a couple guns i would like "really cleaned" and one i would like to reblue. When i say "really" cleaned i would like my 1187 and my 870 tore down and internals cleaned meaning trigger and all, also have an Ithica Deer Slayer i would like cleaned and reblued, probably not the way to spell it but thats the best i can come up with on a Friday morning.

Aumiller gunshop here in Westerville.

Guns especially pistols are way over-cleaned IMHO, most combat/service pistols can safely go several thousand rounds with confidence. But of course to each their own.;)

Yea but my xdm (night stand gun) gets dusty.

I have to disagree on the whole not cleaning a rifle (or pistol) barrel till it loses accuracy thing. I have several rifles that must be cleaned every time or they will rust before you shoot them again. All my guns get cleaned and oiled before being put away. Even if they don't form visible rust, I have seen plenty of guns build corrosion between the copper fouling and the rifling.

I don't even believe the BS about the cleaning rods wearing out the bore. If you are wearing your bore out with a brass, aluminum of teflon cleaning rod you are really doing it all wrong. Heck, how many people feed steel jacketed bullets down the bore of their AK's and SKS's and I don't see them wearing out because of a soft brass cleaning rod. I have bore guides for my long guns that can only be cleaned from the muzzle to prevent the rifling from shaving the brass off my rods. My Garand with the match barrel is good for that, the rifling is so sharp at the end it acts just like a file and you can see the curl of brass come off the cleaning rod if you rub it into the bore without a guide. All the rest get cleaned from the chamber end. Pistols are obviously different as nobody really makes a bore guide for revolvers, anything that can be cleaned from the chamber end does. But even then, each of the pistols is cleaned after every range trip. I don't see wear issues on them either.

My 1911 has over 15,000 rounds down the pipe and it's the original barrel. If I was doing damage to the gun by cleaning it every time it would have shown itself and been replaced long before now. Heck my German Luger P-08 has fired close to 10,000 rounds since I have owned it and god knows how many more since the barrel was made and it is one of the most accurate guns I own. Going by the serial number the barrel is 84 years old and the receiver is 91 years old. Somebody before me obviously cleaned it and took good care of it and I plan to do the same.