Fixed blade knife carry laws?

scottie.harris

My work is allowing me to carry a knife on me so im currently shopping for one. I have always had a thing for fixed blades, but i dont know about the laws for them in ohio. I would like to be legal if i have it off campus and was wondering what the restrictions are if theyre even legal.

Ohio has no preemption statute covering knives, meaning every stupid municipal corporation is free to impose their own constraints, subject only to the whims of their elected officials.

Ohio

2923.11 & 2923.12. & - 2923.20

Y None

Ballistic Knife, Switchblade Knife, Spring blade Knife, Gravity Knife, or similar weapon are illegal. ;An ordinary pocket

Many cities have 2 1/2" length Max.

knife that is not possessed, carried or used as a weapon is not a "deadly weapon" No Blade Length in OH Laws.

Akron, OH

Y 2.5"

on or about his person a pistol, a knife having a blade two and one-half inches

Highland Hts, OH

Y 2.5"

or any knife having a blade two and one-half inches in length or longer,

Bay Village, OH

Y 2.5"

or other knife having a blade of two and one-half inches in length or longer,

Dayton, OH

?

Must show affirmative defense for carrying weapon.

Strongville, OH

Y 2.5"

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

Y 2.5"

Warrensville Hts. OH

Y 2.5"

Lyndurst, OH

Y 2.5"

in his or her possession any knife having a blade length of more than two and one-half inches

Tallmadge, OH

Y 2.5"

Summit Co. OH

Y 2.5"

I would guess the local l.e.o will mess with you a lot more if you have a fixed blade knife on your hip then if you had a folder hidden in the pocket. My s.o.g flash II is auto assist, Holds a very sharp edge and looks very small from the little that sticks out of the belt clip.

If you are walking around with a hunting knife in a sheath on your hip the police may not like that?

If you ever get stopped with a knife always remember it is a tool it is not a weapon and it is carried and used as a tool for work.

Personally I like these for fixed blades they are extremely sharp very high quality and there are a variety of sheaths available for them. It is next on my purchase list.

KB148LG-P-2T.jpg

http://www.reactgear.com/KA-BAR-Large-TDI-Law-Enforcement-p/kb148lg-p.htm

KB148-P-2T.jpg

http://www.reactgear.com/KA-BAR-TDI-Law-Enforcement-p/kb148-p.htm

If you ever get stopped with a knife always remember it is a tool it is not a weapon and it is carried and used as a tool for work.

yup. in ohio, its all about INTENT.

if you carry something with the INTENT of using it for self defense, then its a weapon. that could be anything. a bat, a screwdriver or even a brick.

so if they ask "why do you have that knife (or screwdriver or brick) and you say "to defend myself" then it just became a weapon. if its concealed, it just became a concealed weapon.

your CHL obviously does not cover knives or blunt objects.

Are spring assisted open knives legal in Ohio? I have been carrying one for years now but I have heard it is considered a switch blade. The knife I have is in the link below.

http://www.predatorspecialops.com/products/Smith-%26-Wesson-SWAT-Assisted-Opening-Knife-Black-3080.html

the law says "spring blade knives" but i always thought a spring blade knife was one where the blade popped out the top of the handle when you flipped a switch.

also, the law says that its illegal to "Manufacture, possess for sale, sell, or furnish to any person other than a law enforcement agency for authorized use in police work, "

possess for sale... so that seems to mean that i can legally own one, as long as i dont sell it, or carry it as a weapon.

Edited by John

the law says "spring blade knives" but i always thought a spring blade knife was one where the blade popped out the top of the handle when you flipped a switch.

also, the law says that its illegal to "Manufacture, possess for sale, sell, or furnish to any person other than a law enforcement agency for authorized use in police work, "

possess for sale... so that seems to mean that i can legally own one, as long as i dont sell it, or carry it as a weapon.

So is carrying as a tool and not a weapon legal?

From what I have heard spring assist is legal. If it operates with the use of a lever its not. Think switch blade or front type stiletto are not legal. If you have to move the blade with a thumb stud with the spring assist is legal from my understanding.

^^ this

Are spring assisted open knives legal in Ohio? I have been carrying one for years now but I have heard it is considered a switch blade. The knife I have is in the link below.

http://www.predatorspecialops.com/products/Smith-%26-Wesson-SWAT-Assisted-Opening-Knife-Black-3080.html

That knife is legal as far as the spring assist. The length could cause you some problems in certain cities though. Just always remember if you get stopped no matter what johnny law says to you it is a tool. I don't think you would find anyone in Ohio selling an illegal spring operated knife unless it was a private party.

Personally I like these for fixed blades they are extremely sharp very high quality and there are a variety of sheaths available for them. It is next on my purchase list.

KB148LG-P-2T.jpg

KB148-P-2T.jpg

This! These can be can carried iwb very comfortably. I have been wanting one just to cheap to pull the trigger.

KB148LG-P-2T.jpg

KB148-P-2T.jpg

I got to hold one of these. They are very nice knives. But this type of knife is for defensive purposes, you'd be hard pressed to prove it's for utility purposes. Especially when the site says:

The TDI Law Enforcement Knife was designed to be used as a "last option" knife

Be careful.

Be careful with the paranoia maybe. :D

The blade length is under Speedys list of lengths. it's not a folder and websites list details to SELL a product. When TDIs hit the market they were a "law enforcement only" item. Really??? A 2 inch fixed blade knife??? Nothing like limiting who can buy something to make everyone want one right?

To the OP. since we've complicated this subject so much you should just carry a sharp stick. Those aren't illegal. Yet.

Be careful with the paranoia maybe. :D

The blade length is under Speedys list of lengths. it's not a folder and websites list details to SELL a product. When TDIs hit the market they were a "law enforcement only" item. Really??? A 2 inch fixed blade knife??? Nothing like limiting who can buy something to make everyone want one right?

To the OP. since we've complicated this subject so much you should just carry a sharp stick. Those aren't illegal. Yet.

I didn't even mean the LEO part, just the "last option" part. The OP wants to be legal. My only point it that a knife like that might cause an issue since it would be more difficult to say it's for utility purposes. Everyone I know that owns that knife carries it for defensive reasons. I'd say it probably wouldn't be an issue unless it was somewhere where they were very anti self defense, read Cleveland and surrounding areas.