Hiking GPS Anyone know anything?

CoolWhip

Hey All,

I do a lot of backpacking and I have been looking into getting a nice, rugged, handheld GPS for hiking and backpacking, but the reviews are so mixed on every device. Furthermore, I really don't know much about them. Does anyone on here have any experience or advice (or one to sell)?

Get a compass. :D

I have an older Garmin, forget what model cuz it's in a box somewhere, but I used it back packing and in the army. It took a hell of a lot of abuse and now if it hits a bump it'll turn off. For as much as it got used, it held up well. I would say other Garmins are well made too?

I've been with friends who live in Littleton (Denver) while we used a Garmin Oregon for day hikes. I believe he has the 450t based on me not recalling it having a camera, and it seemed solid. Rain and me dropping it had no effect on reception, but this may be normal for all Garmin products or all hiking GPS. Very limited experience is all I have, sorry.

i have an e-trex too. its pretty cool. used it mostly for geocaching. i think it was like 100 bucks, and that was like 4 or 5 years ago. they probably have a new model out now though.

its pretty portable. about the size of an old nokia cell phone. it does not have maps or anything, but you can track your location and stuff.

it does have a nice feature for hiking, you can set it to mark the path youve been taking. basically, it marks a waypoint like every 20 feet, so if you go into the woods and get lost, you can follow your path back out. it doesnt have a lot of crazy features or anything, but for basic stuff, waypoints, compass etc, it does the trick.

Garmin-Etrex-GPS.jpg

I have a Garmin Colorado the family uses to geocache. It is primarily for hiking and you can load maps into it. Very durable and waterproof. I have used it all over the country and it has performed very well even in tree cover.

I have the Garmin summit HC. It's been a good unit for me. I had originally gotten it to go hunting. You can download maps to it and I have both the topography and city maps. The color display works very well. Only have two faults with it. Buy something with expandable memory. My older model HC is limited to internal memory only and can not hold more than 2-3 states worth of detailed maps. Second is that if used for driving, it does not do turn by turn. It always tries to send you offroading.

Rechargable batteries last 7-8 hours, the lithum AA's almost 16, regular alkaline batteries are in between. The built in altimeter and electronic compass seem to be very accurate if they are calibrated correctly.

I am looking for something that I can load maps onto since some of the backpacking paths get grown over. It would be helpful to be able to map my trip ahead of time.

I have an etrex and Model 60. Both work well, but get one with color screen. Both of mine allow you to load tracks into them or draw tracks on the computer and then transfer into the unit. It is a bit harder with a Mac but can be done. Lots of people have older unlocked maps they can share with you so you don't have to pay $100 for a map that never changes.

If you decide you want a cheap one to try I'll sell you my black and white etrex with a copy of North American topo map for $50. That way I can say I need a new one and get a color unit for the bikes that I really want.:rolleyes:

Lol I thought you said to get one with a color screen? ;)

I have an etrex and Model 60. Both work well, but get one with color screen. Both of mine allow you to load tracks into them or draw tracks on the computer and then transfer into the unit. It is a bit harder with a Mac but can be done. Lots of people have older unlocked maps they can share with you so you don't have to pay $100 for a map that never changes.

If you decide you want a cheap one to try I'll sell you my black and white etrex with a copy of North American topo map for $50. That way I can say I need a new one and get a color unit for the bikes that I really want.:rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

Since I am getting ready to go backpacking again, I figured I would get some more advice. I have been looking at the Garmin eTrex 30 and some other ones. I'm trying to stay $300 or less, but I really want to get a good quality GPS that will last me for years. I primarily will be using it for backpacking to it needs to be very accurate and have good topos.

Since I am getting ready to go backpacking again, I figured I would get some more advice. I have been looking at the Garmin eTrex 30 and some other ones. I'm trying to stay $300 or less, but I really want to get a good quality GPS that will last me for years. I primarily will be using it for backpacking to it needs to be very accurate and have good topos.

Etrex are very accurate but recently I've seen lots of people using smart phones gps apps and such with great accuracy. So might wanna check that option too if you have the phone for it already.;)

Phones use cell signals to triangulate position. It isn't true GPS. In the places I go there is no cell signal.

Then you'll probably have issues with any device as even the best GPS requires a clear view of the southern sky. I think this is your best bet at $200--> http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Garmin+-+eTrex+20+GPS/3130269.p;jsessionid=FF98F24454FA81F1F820E916B902BC54.bbolsp-app01-03?id=1218379521902&skuId=3130269

and probably this map at $90

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Garmin+-+TOPO+U.S.+24K+South+Central+DVD/9487343.p?id=1218112982048&skuId=9487343

Edited by buildit

My roommate has a Garmin Oregon 450 and he said he got it for ~$250. We've used it hiking a few times and its pretty snazzy.

Thank you! I've been looking at it. Can you tell me what kinds of things you used it for? I use it primarily to verify trails, Cardinal directions, and to find water sources.

Um, don't laugh, but the feature I use the most is the elevation change tracker thing... when I'm coming up on mile 15 and I just want to have my shoes off and eat a baconator, I stare at the elevation change map so I can see how hard the rest of the trail is. My roommate uses it when we're trying to get to hard trails. We went to Utah a few weeks ago and used it to find a path that wasn't very apparent.