Earliest time to get License?

ohioSV

Quick question for those who may now, when is the earliest BRC class?

I sort of screwed the pooch over the summer when it came to registering and taking the BRC (totally forgot that I registered for a class until it was too late :rolleyes:) and then school got in the way when it came to registering and finding time to do it again. I figured I would put it off until this coming spring, but this weekend the stars aligned and found out I would be making the motorcyclists pilgrimage to deals gap mid march. :bow:... or so I hope.

I called the BMV to see when the the first skills test would be held and I was told it wouldn't be until April? :( so that blows. I checked the ODPS website I noticed they say registration starts feb. 6th, but it doesn't say when the first session actually is. So, does anyone remember from last year when about the first session was. I pray its was before march 16th.

Yep, thats when they start. Register now though because they fill very quick! I was in the first class in April last year and it was filled by February. It sucked really bad because I turned 21 March 21st and my class was April 7th I think so I had to buy my new license twice in a month!

you can take the test and get your license and still take the course later
Mind elaborating on that? I've had my temp for almost a year now, but wasn't aware I could take a written test and get my endorsement.

I think he means the skills test...

Yeah, definitely skills test. But unless you have a 250, the skills test may be a bit hard.

Anyone fit to ride a motorcycle should be able to pass the skills test on whatever they ride. If you feel you are talented enough to ride it on a public road, you should be competent enough to pass a parking lot maneuverability test. (IMO) I would have no problem passing the test on anything on 2 wheels, I've passed it on a '77 CB750K, a 2001 CBR1100XX, and I'm confident I could handily pass it on a gold wing or a hog or on Tim's stretched ZX -14.

If you can't go and pass the skills test without taking the course I would suggest you stay away from the dragon.

stay off the roads period, but especially tricky roads... and the dragon:wtf: if you aren't competent enough to pass the skills test, you may as well just staple your plastics to the tree of shame when you arrive and save yourself the hassle of doing it after you crash.

I was referring to the skills test... there are a lot of people that retake the BRC just to refresh their skills.

The skills test isn't that hard if you don't psych yourself out .... my buddy took his on his busa 4 days after buying it.

Ok, that makes more sense! unfortunately the the two Examination Station that I called on my lunch break today told me that they don't offer skills tests until April. crap...

If you can't go and pass the skills test without taking the course I would suggest you stay away from the dragon.

good advice for newbs who watch too many youtube videos of guys flying down the dragon and think they are ready to tackle the beast. while I'm relatively new to street riding (I did manage to put 7000 miles on my sv last year), this will be my 10th year riding dirt bikes and going on my third year of riding competitively, so I'm no stranger when it comes to risk analysis, choosing proper lines, body positioning, throttle control, brake modulation, ect... (yes I am aware they are two different styles of riding, but there are enough similarities between the two to make the comparison valid)

Edited by ohioSV

I have just gone on what people have said about taking it on a full size bike. If the test is the same as what I took in the class last year then you should be able to pass it on a normal size bike no problem, but I heard it was harder to take at the BMV for some reason. Not sure why though since I never took it there.

I've heard the same thing. my brother got his temp at the end of the riding season 2 years ago, and didn't get a bike until last June (VFR800 for his first bike). He rode it for a few weeks then took the skills test and passed. But he's been riding as long as i have and is actually a damn good racer, so I'm not surprised.

I'm pretty sure April is generally the start date for most of Ohio. All the places I called said the person who does the motorcycle tests was not in until then. So I'm thinking they are basically on leave until April so the state doesn't have to pay them to sit around doing nothing.

Your issue here is you are on a temp license that is going to expire before the Gap trip? Just get the temp renewed, you used to be able to do that forever. Maybe they changed it, check into it.

Thats possible but a temp license limits you from riding on freeway or after dark. I would expect a long trip may involve some of both.

Nothing prevents one from renewing their temp license indefinitely. You just have to take the written test and pay for a new license each year. And follow the restrictions.

Craig

Your issue here is you are on a temp license that is going to expire before the Gap trip? Just get the temp renewed, you used to be able to do that forever. Maybe they changed it, check into it.

yep, thats the issue that I was having. called the bmv again and was told I could renew my temp. any time.

Thats possible but a temp license limits you from riding on freeway or after dark. I would expect a long trip may involve some of both.

Nothing prevents one from renewing their temp license indefinitely. You just have to take the written test and pay for a new license each year. And follow the restrictions.

Craig

The family rented a cabin that is very close to us-129 so the bike will be trailered down. don't plan on riding at night, so I should be OK. good looking out, though.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcd/2828869544.html

Waynesville, AND an SV?? Awesome. I'm over off of Riley Wills Rd (near the pet cemetery).

I'll learn ya to ride twisties real quick. We'll go play down in the SE corner of the county...

always nice to meet a fellow SV haver! I'm over by caesars creek off of Oregonia rd.