No Smoking in Cars with Children?

Scruit

http://www.abc6onyourside.com/shared/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wsyx_vid_15990.shtml

COLUMBUS (AP) -- A bill in the Ohio Senate would ban smoking in cars if children under 6-years-old are on board.

The measure's sponsor says the idea is to safeguard youngsters from secondhand smoke.

Thoughts? I'm vaguely amusing by the incongruity wherein children cannot choose to smoke, but they also cannot avoid the secondhand smoke in the house or car.

Age of 6? Why 6? Why not 16? That's the age limit for buying smokes, right? Or is it 18?

I think it's easy to spot a car with a child it it - the child seat is visible.

I wonder if this will be a primary offense or not.

People will hate me for this, but I don't think you should smoke inside a house or car where a child is. Now, whether or not there should be a law about it is a matter for further debate.

Ahh i dont know, I am a smoker but would never smoke around my nephews let alone trap them in a car while smoking. Dont know if it should be a law but i guess if people dont have enough common since then what else do you do?

as if the tobacco smoke is worse for the child than the plume of exhaust smoke coming out the back!

f*cking rediculous...

Why not pipe that exhaust into the car then?

Wait, that would kill them...

The issue is the confined space that they can't get away from.

we can't spank our own children because it might be considered abuse. we can't smoke around our kids...

at what point is the gov't interfering or protecting?

I don't smoke around kids, nor do I have a problem with an ass-whoopin'. I know I deserved quite a few growing up.

Thoughts?

If they cant be around smoke because its not healthy, they should also pass a Ban on happy meals. Not only are they not healthy, they set the unreasonable expectation that every time you eat you will get a toy, Which unfortunately is very not true.

Why do smokers crack the car window? Does it stiiiiiink?

Another small step by our illustrious gooberment.

I don't smoke. I don't like smoke. But I completely disagree with taking smoking out of bars.

My parents both smoked when I was a kid. In the car. in the house. I'm fine.

Yup, I agree. Turble and ridickulus.

Why not pipe that exhaust into the car then?

Wait, that would kill them...

The issue is the confined space that they can't get away from.

my point is that there is no law requiring you to turn off your car, and wait for the smoke to clear before allowing your kids to enter or exit...for that matter, no law prohibiting you from driving your children in a car with a leaky exhaust manifold that DOES fill the car with fumes...

either way, they're not my kids, so it's not my problem:D

If you want to smoke around your kids, your choice, if you want to smoke while you're pregnant, your choice, if you want to have a drink while you're pregnant, it's your choice... I don't think the government should step into your life and tell you how to raise your children.

If you want to smoke around your kids, your choice, if you want to smoke while you're pregnant, your choice, if you want to have a drink while you're pregnant, it's your choice... I don't think the government should step into your life and tell you how to raise your children.

It's a slippery slope thing. If they banned parents from exposing children to danger then how long before we'd not be able to take them shooting, riding motorbike, on a jet-ski etc.

I understand what they are trying to do, and I agree that people shouldn't smoke in enclosed spaces with kids, but simply "banning" it is too simplistic an approach.

If they cant be around smoke because its not healthy, they should also pass a Ban on happy meals. Not only are they not healthy, they set the unreasonable expectation that every time you eat you will get a toy, Which unfortunately is very not true.

They have reduced the fry size and put in apples too. This all came from BS out of california stating that the meal had to meet a nutritional value to have a toy in it.

Michelle Obama is tryin'. Meanwhile she's gaining weight on our dollars.