Project Broken Arrow

imprez55

Project Broken Arrow: A 2010 Honda CBR600rr Rebuild

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMPltkNOvgM

I thought this would be a fitting title for a number a reasons, primarily due to the state I received the bike in. The first 3 pictures are from the CL ad for the bike. You can see how the frame is snapped if you draw a line coincident to the shift rod. There wasn’t much info to go off of from the ad except for “I was in a accident with this bike, from the front of the exhaust pipes back to the rear tire is in good parts condition.” I decided to take a risk and drive out to Buffalo and take a look at/purchase it. I have seen the aftermath of plenty of wrecks, but was baffled how the frame could be snapped, while so much of the bike in the back was still in good condition. I asked him how it happened and what the “accident” was, to which he told me an all too familiar story of an 18 year old girl who pulled out without looking.

I have already sourced a cheap, straight frame so hopefully that will pan out and I can get this up on one leg by the end of the month. I am still undecided with the theme, but the strongest contender is track oriented with possible street conversion. That way I can sell off two other bikes and get some money to put into this one. As it stands, I am broke as hell and can’t afford any nice track goodies, but hopefully I can move a bike soon and can find some nice winter deals on some things. Modifications will pretty much be cost based. The first two I would like to do are new rearsets and a new rear shock (Penske, Ohlins, Race Tech, whatever I can find). The stock front forks for ’10 are fine for me initially (a shim and re-spring would be nice) but if I find 1000rr forks cheaper when I buy then that is the route I will take. Any comments/questions are welcome and I will get good pictures up when I can.

po0.jpg

po1.jpg

po2.jpg

417661_267413289994172_100001765093877_620442_674242576_n.jpg

holy shit!

good luck with your build!

Thanks! I might need it too, this is certainly the biggest project I have taken on to date. I got my '03 600rr together in 2.5 weeks even with crankcase damage, but there are significantly more parts that need to be replaced/fixed/straightened/welded. I also have less walking around money at this time, so completion will take longer just so I can scrape together funds.

Name thief!!!

Congrats and good luck...saw that on craigslist yesterday

Shameless name stealing; it had a good ring so I had to copy. Imitation is the highest form of flattery or something like that, right?

Where did you see it? It was actually listed 2 separate times for vastly different price amounts, one with and one without pictures. I think you can guess which end of the spectrum I got it for :D

Shameless name stealing; it had a good ring so I had to copy. Imitation is the highest form of flattery or something like that, right?

Where did you see it? It was actually listed 2 separate times for vastly different price amounts, one with and one without pictures. I think you can guess which end of the spectrum I got it for :D

what can I say, I'm a wordsmith sometimes!

Just on craigslist, the pictures looked familiar I don't recall even seeing a price...think it was listed at $1. Ironically theres a small chance might project might be leaving before I even ever start on it. Long story short some one made me an offer that would be hard to turn down if hes serious

what can I say, I'm a wordsmith sometimes!

Just on craigslist, the pictures looked familiar I don't recall even seeing a price...think it was listed at $1. Ironically theres a small chance might project might be leaving before I even ever start on it. Long story short some one made me an offer that would be hard to turn down if hes serious

1) Buy project bike

2) ???

3) Profit

Sounds like you have the plan down pretty well. If you can make money without doing anything to it, you might as well sell it and invest the money back into another project. You can always buy my gsxr as a project!

1) Buy project bike

2) ???

3) Profit

Sounds like you have the plan down pretty well. If you can make money without doing anything to it, you might as well sell it and invest the money back into another project. You can always buy my gsxr as a project!

pretty much! We shall see though. And please a GSXR, thats now how this mexican rolls :D

I got some time to work on it tonight. It took forever to get the engine out because of all the torqued and seized bolts from the crash and the sprocket/chain being rusted tight.

The front end and front of the frame:

02092012800.jpg

Front end form a different angle:

02092012801.jpg

This portion of the frame came off while I was trying to move the rest of the bike around:

02102012805.jpg

Small nick on the top right of the radiator:

02092012802.jpg

Airbox is toast:

02102012807.jpg

Even the cylinder head cover is ruined. I will need to try and find bolts for that somewhere:

02102012803.jpg

The internals look good so far even with all the damage to the airbox and cylinder head cover:

02102012808.jpg

I have never seen a wheel that actually snapped in half like this before. Nothing salvageable here:

02102012812.jpg

Forks are bent. I am talking to someone about some cheap OEM ones right now, but if that falls through I think I might give MPH Ohio a call and see how much it would cost to straighten them. Only 1 is really bad, the other one is bent a little.

02102012813.jpg

How it all sits right now:

02102012809.jpg

I think I will get some time to work on it over the weekend and get the subframe and swingarm off the rest of the frame as well and disassemble the engine so I can get a motor mount welded. After that, I play the waiting game. The new (used) frame will be shipped out Tuesday and we will just have to see about the rest of the parts.

I am surprised this guy was alive to sell the bike.

Should be an interesting build...

He was in a coma for 2 weeks, tore his MCL and ACL, bank injury, had surgery on his neck and was even going into a doctors appointment the next day after I picked the bike up. He was extremely lucky.

It will be interesting for sure, I just hope nothing has been damaged inside the engine and the cylinders/heads are flawless (never even had its 2nd oil change).

I got some work done over the weekend, no pictures though. I mostly just dissembled things to try and salvage parts and hopefully sell them. I will have to end up doing some soldering to the main wiring harness to put some necessary connectors back on like airbox sensors and secondary injectors. I also need to get a few more large Metric sockets to make some tools. The tool I made for the engine mount adjusters broke, I need a larger one to remove the swingarm, and they changed the rear wheel around so I need the larger axel nut socket (used to just torque the axel and hold the nut). Other than that no surprises, and lots of parts purchased:

-Airbox

-Ram air tubes

-Bad angle sensor

-Cylinder head cover

-Cylinder head cover bolts (there were 2 severely bent)

-Used frame

-Vortex rearsets

-OEM clip-ons

-520 sprocket kit (OEM front was rusted and seized as well as the chain)

-Woodcraft frame sliders

-OEM forks

Plenty more parts to order and I need to get the engine out soon to get welded so I can drill/tap the new mount when the frame comes. My gauges are ruined and there are plenty of ideas floating around for some DIY custom ones (the most extreme would be a gps lap timer with accelerometer and logging for all of it), but we will have to see how motivated I am to put more R&D into it versus just getting it running. I also cannot get the steering stem adjusting nut off for the life of me, any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

Presents arrived Tuesday! As you can see from the first couple pictures, some people still do not know how to package stuff properly. The frame is poking through the box in multiple places and quite substantially...

02222012823.jpg

02222012822.jpg

02222012821.jpg

Not much damage, just some scratches:

02222012826.jpg

02222012825.jpg

02222012829.jpg

Straight OEM forks!

02222012827.jpg

Vortex rearsets, 2x43 a 44 and 45 tooth rear sprockets and 2x15t fronts, woodcraft sliders and OEM clipons

02222012828.jpg

I did a little work as well. The second steering stem nut would not come loose, and when it did budge I thought I saw it stripping the threads. Well, I decided to carefully excise it from the frame...with a sawzall. I cut the nut off and found that the stem was badly damaged, it would not have been safe to ride on so I will be getting another one. You can see the stripped threads and bent seal on the lower portion of the lower triple clamp.

02222012832.jpg

02222012835.jpg

02222012833.jpg

I got a little work done with attaching things like the subframe and steering damper to the frame. I will have to wait until I have some time to machine castle nut tools out of some sockets before I can get the swingarm and motor in; the adjusters are seized up tight.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't done too much with the bike recently as the cash flow has ceased a little. I decided to take a little different route and try to reverse engineer the ECU. I bought an '07 ECU for $9 shipped earlier in the week and have just gotten around to playing with it Friday. I was able to take it apart and de-pot the majority of it. I found a pin on the plug to turn the m32r (32176F2VFP) Renesas chip into "Settings Inhibited" mode, found a 93a66 eeprom chip with a digital in/out on pin 39 of the m32r, a reset pin goes to a yet to be identified 100 pin QFP chip (the only things on it are 3690b82fzv b82 al14907 0649 je), and I have also begun trying to work out a pinout of the ecu plugs. In doing the pinout, I think I figured out how to put it into a reset anyway so an external flash shouldn't be an issue. I just need to figure out the external debugging mode pinout and read the 93a66 to get the password and I should be able to get the map and start defining what is there. If anyone has a pinout of any 07+ 600rr ecu I would love to see it! Also, if anyone is interested in helping I would be more than welcome to team up

• 2 weeks later...

Not too big of an update, but I sold the gsxr so I will be able to start buying things and get this project done. I keep (unfortunately) finding surprises along the way and now need a new upper triple clamp as well because it is badly bent. I determined that while trying to mock up the front end so I could see how far off an '03-'06 600rr front wheel fits (to the curious: its 3/8" larger both at the axle and rotors). I am also having a shop cut the hardened steel lower bearing race off my new lower triple clamp because it would take a lot longer than I would like to do it myself. Once I get that back I will start to install my new All Balls bearings and get the front together. I still do not have any wheel/rotors though, but I am toying with the idea of just getting an '03 rim on the cheap and machining it down and just using the bearing from the destroyed wheel. Now for pictures:

Unfinished welded motor mount:

03162012018.jpg

03162012019.jpg

Pretty much finished motor mount. Its been smoothed down to 100 grit sandpaper and I will hopefully be mocking it up Tuesday night so I can drill and tap the whole properly:

03192012050.jpg

I was able to get some garage space until Wednesday and made sure to make it how a garage should look like. Under the covers in the background is a '73 Norton Commando 850 and an AJS, in the foreground is my '03 600rr almost finished after my crash at nelsons last year and the '09/10 600rr. The swingarm and subframe are in place and the engine is just barely visible on an atv jack right in front of the front end.

03192012048.jpg

With the new frame I bought, I got only 1 engine adjusting bolt. By the packaging shown above I shouldn't be surprised, but here is what it looks like (on the right) compared to a real engine adjusting bolt (on the left). Some people really shouldn't work on bikes and its stuff like this that pisses my off. If you don't know how to do something then don't, ignorance is not an excuse. :nono:

03192012051.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to get some work done Thursday and Friday, and the end result? A running bike! She fired up within 3 seconds of thumbing the starter; I've had FI bikes take longer to start in running condition. Still no headers and the gas tank is pretty beat up, but that should change soon (probably going to go with an OEM ebay special on both). I also ended up finding out I got screwed on another ebay deal with my radiator; it was bondo'd over heavily and repainted. There is currently a pin hole leak in the side I am going to have to fix. Other than that (and the blown starter relay fuse) everything went smoothly. Now for pictures:

04062012094.jpg

04062012095.jpg

04062012098.jpg

04062012099.jpg

04062012097.jpg

04062012096.jpg

Some might look at this and think its a pile of parts, but for me I see the end of my project approaching. To get it ride-able I need:

-Gas tank (current one doesn't actually fit in the frame, the mounts were pulled out)

-front wheel

-headers

-front rotors

-520 chain

To complete the project I will still need...

-custom gps logger/laptimer gauges (?)

-upper fairing stay

-Optimal (?) race fairings

Depending on shipping times/motivation I hope to have this track worthy by the 28th!

Thanks guys! the kind words are certainly an encouragement to see it through and possibly do some different things along the way

Wish I had the knowledge/skills to pull this off. Trying to learn though.

Keep the posts coming. Cant wait to see it at the track.

I'm sure you can learn if you are interested enough. Feel free to ask any questions if you're curious. I learned everything through just reading as much as I can (service manuals especially) and simple trial and error. I replaced my first bike's transmission and learned a lot even though it took forever; slow and steady wins the race.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well this is a mixed feelings update. I got some parts in the mail but it looks like I will need some more so I will be pushing the first trackday deadline.

New to me slingshot racing keyless gas cap (from a '04 1000rr, which will come into play in a second):

04212012123.jpg

Some ebay special levers ($33 shipped and they look to be the same quality as any of my CRG, CNR or Pazzo levers):

04092012111.jpg

04092012110.jpg

04092012112.jpg

I finally got a front wheel as well. The only fronts I could find were selling for ~$300 without rotors and I was NOT going to pay that kind of premium. After a lot of research I decided to take a gamble and get a '04-05 1000rr respol front which was supposed to be nearly bolt up to the 03-06 600rr fronts. After a bit of math, a bunch of chips and some new bearings I have a new front wheel; for $86 too, can't beat that!

I used a mapp gas torch initially to knock out the bearings since it was closest (tested on the wrecked '10 front). Unfortunately I forgot the repsol OEM rims were powdercoated. :facepalm: Not much damage done and it is very well hidden. Try #2 with a heat gun went over perfectly as well as putting the new bearings in.

04142012116.jpg

Where all the magic happened, along with tpoppa's old tool box:

04082012109.jpg

Flipping it over, ready to complete operation #3 (my y-axis isn't large enough to do all 6 rotor mounts a the same time):

04142012117.jpg

The aftermath:

04142012118.jpg

And the final result! Looks great I think:

04212012124.jpg

I also eliminated the exhaust servo and resulting FI light; still need to insulate it with hot glue or something:

04132012115.jpg

The vortex rearsets I got included the wrong shift rod and no gear shift arm.... so time to put OEM back on:

04202012122.jpg

The throttle cables are also ruined so I have to wait for those and the gas tank should be arriving by Wednesday. The brakes are all bled, a new EK MXVZ chain installed with new sprockets 15/43 (-1/0) and new headers. I just hope I can get it done by the 28th!